Marathon Weekend 2021

Forgive my ignorance but what is SAFD? And by parking lot beers are you talking about drinking beers in the parking lot? I’m so confused 😄
Its secret code that only runDisney insiders and cool folks know.

(SAFD stads for Sundays are for Disney where @lhermiston asks a question unrelated to the Marathon or to running, focusing on something Disney. Parking lot beers are the beers drank after a runDisney race in the EPCOT parking lot)

So now you, @DurangoJim are officially and insider and cool guy! But its not a very exclusive club; everyone who reads the Boards is also a cool guy/girl and an insider.

Edit...sorry; I'm late to the party and it was already answered better than I did.

SAFD:

When in the AK and it feels like the surface of the Sun:
  • Finding Nemo the Musical
  • Festival of the Lion King
  • Nomad's Lounge
When in HS and it feels like you could fry an egg:
  • Hollywood Brown Derby
  • Oga's Cantina
  • Tune-In Lounge
When in MK and the smell of horse manure is in the air:
  • Haunted Mansion
  • Under the Sea
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Space Mountain
  • Carousel of Progress
  • Splash Mountain
When in Epcot and the pavement is burning your feet:
  • Pretty much any restaurant
  • In the Pyramid @ Mexico
  • Living with the Land pavilion
  • Test Track
  • Used to be Ellen's, but that is no more.
  • Go shopping in the Japan pavilion.

I am pretty sure I have been doing the runDisney events all wrong so far. I am hearing about these cool things that I had no idea existed. Typically I run the race and the immediately hop on a bus.

Has @rteetz made a section on the marathon weekend thread that talks about all the cool things I am missing out on? Or does that require an initiation of some sort before I am enlightened. :P

I am hearing about beer in Epcot, special character photo ops after the finish line, Monday meet up after the weekend to celebrate in Epcot,... I am pretty sure I a missing out on the best part of the race weekend!

I am pretty sure I have been doing the runDisney events all wrong so far. I am hearing about these cool things that I had no idea existed. Typically I run the race and the immediately hop on a bus.

Has @rteetz made a section on the marathon weekend thread that talks about all the cool things I am missing out on? Or does that require an initiation of some sort before I am enlightened. :P

I am hearing about beer in Epcot, special character photo ops after the finish line, Monday meet up after the weekend to celebrate in Epcot,... I am pretty sure I a missing out on the best part of the race weekend!
We make the most of our races!

I’ve ridden rides during races, pre-race shots, in race margaritas and beer, all the characters, parking lot beers, DATW on Monday, Dis meet up on Friday. So much fun!

SAFD:

Add me to the list of people who go back to the resort and either cool down in the room or in the pool.

If I'm determined to stay in the parks, then I hit the DVC lounge in EPCOT, Nomad lounge in AK, at HS try for a walk-up at Sci-Fi Diner (I love how every single technology of the future clip is now real tech in everyday homes!) and Magic Kingdom grab a table upstairs in Columbia Harbor house. Indoor shows work too.

SAFD:

Only time I've taken a mid-day break was for an urgent issue from work and needed to logon. Took the gondola from HS to Caribbean Beach and was a perfect escape plan. Also only gone in Nov and Jan, so not terribly hot time of year to spend around the pool.

MK: Agree with Columbia Harbor House upstairs. Also try to get a fp for Haunted Mansion or Pirates to extend the cooling.
AK: Haven't really spent time taking breaks. Nomad Lounge is on our list to try.
Epcot: In 2018, went to MK the day after W&D when it was shortened for the cast member party. Did most of the rides and hopped to Epcot. Took a break in the corporate lounge at Mission Space.
HS: Corporate lounge moved from Epcot to Galaxy's Edge. Plenty of space to relax. There was a professional sports coach up there as well. My nephew and his kids played with the droids they had just built while watching the Madalorian. It will be hard to beat that experience.

SAFD: There is no way to "stay cool" in FL summer, other than by not leaving my home. :) But when I do go to WDW in the heat, I minimize the damage by...

Sleeping in and not going to parks until shortly before an air-conditioned dinner (around 6 for us), then staying late to enjoy the lack of sun beating down.

Sleeping in and taking in an afternoon movie before going to parks at night.

A water park in the morning, out at noon-ish to rest and recover in the room before doing a park at night.

Umbrella for on-the-go shade, as well as preparation for the inevitable rain storm.

Sticking to shade as much as possible.

Last edited:
SAFD:

I don't normally go during the real hot times (normally race weekends) but my places for relaxing or cooling off in MK normally hit CoP or peoplemover or pirates if line is short. AK - Nomad Lounge or often I find up with dinosaur as a 4th FP of the day and if I'm waiting for its time to pop up I'll sit at the dinosaurous Lounge for a beer. At HS - Baseline Taphouse is my go-to. Epcot - lots of world showplace choices.

EDIT: Just to add. I don't often go back to resort in middle of the day unless I'm hopping. So my preference normally is to just find a place to sit, relax, rest my legs, and have a beer or two for a bit. Best if it is after the first 3 FPs since I can use that to look for what FPs are available and if I get a 4th that is in an hour or two great. Relax with a beer and wait for time and then I'm normally ready to go (and of course the rest legs becomes a bigger issue on race weekends both before and after races are done)

Last edited:
SAFD: Not answering until Tuesday, it has been a busy past few days. Well really the past few weeks. I need a pause button but can’t seem to get it to work!

My go to‘s have been shared - Carousel of Progress, Mickey’s Philharmagic or any longer show that is dark and cool. They provide such a great mid afternoon Escape from the heat.

Separate note I got my tickets and park reservations. It is officially going to be a solo trip for me now. Honestly, given all that has happened the last few weeks I am concerned about what will be happening in January! But for now it is something to look forward to and start working towards.

SAFD:
Honestly our favorite way to cool off in the afternoon is to have TS reservation scheduled for a late lunch. It's a fun way to regroup, talk about our favorite parts of the day and what we are looking forward to that evening.

I never even thought of this because it's just a thing I love to do regardless of weather. I almost always plan a sit down late lunch, either at the park or hopping to a resort, because it does offer such a great chance to regroup and plan out the rest of the day. We can move quickly or take as long as we need depending on how the day is going and what adventure awaits.

Lots of people do their own thing MW, but closer to the actual event, plans are typically made for:

- pre-race meetups
- Hurricane Hannah’s meetup on Friday
- Drinking Around the World on Monday

Parking lot beers just happen. Look for someone you’ve met and just go have a beer and some plastic cheese.

Running groups also just kind of form organically, even up to the morning of the race. Rogue Two was a last-minute decision before the 10K, but the Goof Troop Roving Road Party (TM) came together over several months.

Eventually, someone will likely make a document to share with names, races, pace, corral and other info to help folks organize.

Has anyone here stayed at Wilderness lodge for a race weekend? I'm particularly curious about the bus situation.

I usually try to stay at BCV or OKW, but I was debating trying something new this time.

Has anyone here stayed at Wilderness lodge for a race weekend? I'm particularly curious about the bus situation.

I usually try to stay at BCV or OKW, but I was debating trying something new this time.
I haven’t but typically for races the expo bus shares with contemporary as well as post race. Race morning they should have their own bus.

We have! I remember the bus after the race shared with Ft Wilderness and Contemporary and that made for a LONG, stinky ride back after the full. But the resort itself is totally worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!