Marathon Weekend 2021

Hi, everyone. New member here. This year was my first runDisney event and my first marathon. Apparently I’m hooked now because I’m already thinking about next year 😂. I’ve decided to make the leap to Dopey for 2021. I used Hal Higdon for the marathon and it got me through training injury free, which is great because I usually have IT band issues. I’m looking at Higdon’s Dopey plan and Galloway and they’re pretty different plans and schedules. Feeling a little overwhelmed by the options. Any advice for a first time Dopey hopeful is much appreciated!
I used Higdon's Dopey plan for my first Dopey in 2020. My best advice is to pick the plan that works best for you. If you follow any of them, they should all work the same. I liked Hal's Dopey plan because I liked that the really really long runs (16+ miles) only happened every other week and that worked out well for me. I also liked the back to back runs in the plan. I hit every run and I came into the weekend in great physical shape, had no issues, didn't struggle at all even in the heat and was fine after the race and the days after. My goal for the marathon was to set a new PR by breaking 4 hours but also run fast enough to be able to stop for pictures, etc and I was able to easily hit that goal.

Hi, everyone. New member here. This year was my first runDisney event and my first marathon. Apparently I’m hooked now because I’m already thinking about next year 😂. I’ve decided to make the leap to Dopey for 2021. I used Hal Higdon for the marathon and it got me through training injury free, which is great because I usually have IT band issues. I’m looking at Higdon’s Dopey plan and Galloway and they’re pretty different plans and schedules. Feeling a little overwhelmed by the options. Any advice for a first time Dopey hopeful is much appreciated!

I like Hal Higdon's plans and they're what I go back to when I'm not using a custom plan. The key for Dopey is to decide what you want to get from the race weekend. Are you looking to finish comfortably and upright or are you looking to race multiple races and set PRs? If you're just looking to have fun and finish, the marathon training program you just used will get you there just fine. If you're going for more of the racing approach, you might want to consider the Hal Higdon Dopey plan. Personally, I find the increased mileage of the Dopey-specific plan to be an invitation for an overuse injury, so I just use a marathon training plan and enjoy the weekend. Ultimately, you'll find almost as many approaches to the training as you'll find Dopey runners. The key is to find a plan that you can and will follow that won't deliver you to the starting line burned out and/or injured.

I ran my first Dopey last week, wasn't my first marathon and I totally loved it! Marathon day was hot hot but I slowed down my a min per mile and stopped for characters and that helped! I will be returning with my 12 year old daughter, she will be running the 5 and 10K and I will be doing Dopey again! Just trying to decide on hotels. For MW2020 we stayed at Caribbean Beach but thinking pop with my daughter, can anyone advise what the lines are like for the Skyliner at pop during marathon weekend
I stayed at Pop this year, and only experienced an actual wait for the Skyliner at the CBR transfer station at dinner time, and at DHS at park closing. It was never very long, though. The CBR to Pop/AoA line was a breeze.

I ran my first Dopey last week, wasn't my first marathon and I totally loved it! Marathon day was hot hot but I slowed down my a min per mile and stopped for characters and that helped! I will be returning with my 12 year old daughter, she will be running the 5 and 10K and I will be doing Dopey again! Just trying to decide on hotels. For MW2020 we stayed at Caribbean Beach but thinking pop with my daughter, can anyone advise what the lines are like for the Skyliner at pop during marathon weekend

I stayed at Pop this year and the lines were never bad, even at opening. The only long line for the Skyliner I waited in was at EPCOT right after EPCOT Forever and was still back at the resort in under half an hour.

Whatever the lines were this year, they'll probably be worse next year. Marathon weekend is only a week after the New Year in 2021, and it's highly likely many schools will not start back up from the holidays until DATW Monday.
I think, for the most part, they will be gone by the Monday before the races. Although the race is early, New Years falling on a Friday changes things!
At least that’s what I’m hoping!

Thanks, everyone, for the comments. This board has been a tremendous resource! Higdon worked ok for me for the marathon with one issue. I’m hypoglycemic and never did a run over 20 in training following his marathon program and it wasn’t until about mile 22 that I had a complete sugar crash I wasn’t prepared for (I think the delayed start also contributed). The Hershey kisses at HS we’re the only thing that made it possible for me to finish at all! So I’d like to get a couple over 20 mileage runs in to practice better ways of avoiding that crash. I like Galloway’s simulation near the end for that reason only. I’m also hoping to do another marathon this spring to troubleshoot.
So I guess I should add that if anybody has any tips for dealing with low blood sugar, I’d love to hear them. I usually use Clif bloks, which work fine for the beginning but did nothing for preventing or coping with a sudden crash near the end.

Thanks, everyone, for the comments. This board has been a tremendous resource! Higdon worked ok for me for the marathon with one issue. I’m hypoglycemic and never did a run over 20 in training following his marathon program and it wasn’t until about mile 22 that I had a complete sugar crash I wasn’t prepared for (I think the delayed start also contributed). The Hershey kisses at HS we’re the only thing that made it possible for me to finish at all! So I’d like to get a couple over 20 mileage runs in to practice better ways of avoiding that crash. I like Galloway’s simulation near the end for that reason only. I’m also hoping to do another marathon this spring to troubleshoot.
So I guess I should add that if anybody has any tips for dealing with low blood sugar, I’d love to hear them. I usually use Clif bloks, which work fine for the beginning but did nothing for preventing or coping with a sudden crash near the end.
Yep, I can help! I am also chronically hypoglycemic and the "trick" for me is fueling early and fueling consistently. I use Tailwind or the on-course Powerade in my water bottle, and I take a gel (100 calories) every 45 minutes. The fuel every 45 minutes is the really crucial part, but I found that the little extra glucose in my fluids helped in the latter parts of the marathon. I also eat breakfast before all races - around 2:30am - and have a granola bar about an hour before I start. I bring at least one more gel than I should need, just in case of a delayed start or lost gel. The one time I had a huge crash was when I failed to take a gel on time: I was at mile 12 of a half and thought I'd just wait until I finished. Nope. Big mistake. I have my running app programmed to alert me to fuel every 45 minutes and I now do it when I get the alert, no matter where I am in the race!

My Dopey training simulations have topped out at a long run around 20-22 and that was all I needed. By making my fueling time-based instead of distance-based, I stay on top of it, no matter how many miles or how long it takes me to complete them.

Yep, I can help! I am also chronically hypoglycemic and the "trick" for me is fueling early and fueling consistently. I use Tailwind or the on-course Powerade in my water bottle, and I take a gel (100 calories) every 45 minutes. The fuel every 45 minutes is the really crucial part, but I found that the little extra glucose in my fluids helped in the latter parts of the marathon. I also eat breakfast before all races - around 2:30am - and have a granola bar about an hour before I start. I bring at least one more gel than I should need, just in case of a delayed start or lost gel. The one time I had a huge crash was when I failed to take a gel on time: I was at mile 12 of a half and thought I'd just wait until I finished. Nope. Big mistake. I have my running app programmed to alert me to fuel every 45 minutes and I now do it when I get the alert, no matter where I am in the race!

My Dopey training simulations have topped out at a long run around 20-22 and that was all I needed. By making my fueling time-based instead of distance-based, I stay on top of it, no matter how many miles or how long it takes me to complete them.
This is great—thank you so much! I refueled based on mileage and maybe that’s where I went wrong. I slowed down in the heat so mileage based probably put me at a deficit. The alarm idea is a good one.

Giving serious thought to Dopey next year. I have this silly (or wonderful, depending on how you look at it) goal of "Dopey by 50," which isn't next year...but isn't that far off either. Definitely need to figure out a way to get a bit more sleep if I do this. Some of it was just a snoring roommate for part of the trip and not enough rest time, so that can be fixed. Still want to stay onsite, but thinking about something with a kitchen so I can avoid some of the tummy issues I had with the 10k. I guess at least I was OK for the 5k and half...aside from the sleep deprivation! Because falling asleep in your corral is normal, right? 🤪

I stayed at Pop this year and I thought the Skyliner lines were very short. I used it to go to and from Epcot and Hollywood Studios and to explore the new DVC. I think the longest I ever waited was about 5 minutes. I found them a really fun way to get around! For 2021 my family will be going to Pop again.

I stayed at Pop this year and I thought the Skyliner lines were very short. I used it to go to and from Epcot and Hollywood Studios and to explore the new DVC. I think the longest I ever waited was about 5 minutes. I found them a really fun way to get around! For 2021 my family will be going to Pop again.
I never experienced a line at all at Pop. In fact every time I took the Skyliner to or from Pop I was riding by myself or with DH, nobody else in the car. I only had to share with other groups after the exchage at Carribean Beach, and the lines there when they existed moved very fast.

Just wanted to add my voice to those that had a good experience at Pop with the Skyliner. We never had an issue waiting for it and absolutely loved the convenience!
I know this is not a skyliner thread, but we absolutely love the convenience and experience of riding it! The game within the game is; 1) will we get a wrapped gondola? We prefer the unwrapped ones for sightseeing! 2) Will we ride alone or share the cabin with someone else? Either way is fine with us, but I actually enjoy engaging with other guests/families in conversation about their trip during our trip from point to point. They may not feel the same. :scared:We've used it multiple times from HS to IG and vice versa and have always had little to no wait when loading or when transferring at Caribbean Beach.

PS. I'll be be back later on with 2021 marathon weekend plans which include having my niece run her first 1/2 marathon with me! Either she needs to slow down or I'll need to hire a trainer!

Last edited:
Goodness, I did think of that as the schools here in the uk and Ireland usually go back on the Monday, thats around the 4th Jan

We won't have our calendar for another month or so, but I'm thinking we'll go back on the 4th. I'd love to go back a week later as it would make bringing the kids with us so much easier since they can only miss 5 days of school, but I'm pretty sure with where Christmas and New Years fall we'll be back early on.

Seminole & Orange County schools go back to school on January 5th. Not sure about other counties in the area.
Pinellas (west of Tampa - about 100 miles from WDW) schools go back Jan. 5.
For my area of Florida:
Collier County goes back Tuesday the 5th
Lee County goes back Wednesday the 6th

I think we should be fine for a lot of the Florida Schools

Lake County (just to the West of WDW) goes back Tuesday, January 5th.
We got to vote on two calendars this year--one had us going back on the 4th and one on the 5th; I wonder if that was the same for a lot of Florida counties.

Starting to think about rooms and resorts. I can't decide if I should save some $ on the room and go with Pop (really impressed with the skyliner) or save some $ on food (as well as some potential tummy issues) and go for a deluxe villa studio, especially since I really need to relax more and having hot tub and fitness center access would be nice. I was at AKL this past trip...simply because when discounts hit, it was only $12 more total than the room I originally had booked at CBR. I wouldn't mind CBR as a good in the middle option, but I saw a video where someone complained about how long it took the race buses to hit all of the CBR stops before heading to the races. So, that has me thinking that might not be the way to go either. At least these are good dilemmas to have :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!