Marathon Weekend 2021

Someone had said Castaway opened and when they clicked through registration is when the 10K bib showed up. So maybe no matter what you're looking for, click through the registration process to see what shows as open.

Someone had said Castaway opened and when they clicked through registration is when the 10K bib showed up. So maybe no matter what you're looking for, click through the registration process to see what shows as open.
I think if you go through the Castaway link, and register it assumes you have a cruise reservation.

I think if you go through the Castaway link, and register it assumes you have a cruise reservation.

Possibly, although you wouldn't have to have a cruise reservation to sign up for the 10K. I just read somewhere, maybe the book of face or something, that someone clicked through that and saw it open?????

It will be interesting to see when they open January up for online room only bookings as no new hotels are being booked temporarily

also my ADR day is the day Magic Kingdom and DAK reopen so I’m sure IT will be a hot mess (I just want a Cantina reservation for Jan 9th I should be fine waiting a few days/weeks after my 180 Mark)

BTW We have a two night reservation at Grand Floridian at the end of June as an add on to our beach vacation. We thought all would be canceled, but got a call about a week ago that Gov. DeSantis opened up condo rentals. We have decided to go. We can socially distance there as well as at home and will have a change in scenery when we run on the beach! Now we are waiting for the Disney plan to be presented and an opening date announced to see if that’s a “go.”
Well, that’s a bust. I’m not sure I really wanted to be the one of the first ones in the great Disney experiment anyway. We still have the beach!

SAFD May 17th:

I want runDisney to return to California. I was fortunate enough to get the Coast to Coast twice before California races ended.

I wouldn't mind Disneyland Paris someday, but the timing is a bit tricky work wise so that may never happen.

Non runDisney: I don't even know if the place I most want to run through is even an option. But after running through Angels Stadium at 3 Disneyland races and Oracle Park in San Francisco at 2 Giant Races, my dream is to run through LaVell Edwards Stadium at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. There's always a bunch of races in Provo, but I don't know that any of them have gone through the stadium.

Hey y'all! For almost 5 years I've been trying to do the Wine and Dine half. Year 1: had a baby that weekend, year 2: found out I was pregnant with #2, year 3: couldn't swing the trip, and last year: same weekend as our wedding. 🤦‍♀️ So, I'm cutting the idea of doing Wine and Dine and planning to try for Marathon weekend instead!

I know it is sold out currently, so I'm going to look into a travel agency or charity instead.

I've never run a full before. Actually, I've never run a half yet (first one will hopefully be RnR Vegas in November). Have any of you just gone for Dopey as part of your first marathon? I feel like I'm crazy for even thinking of this.
I ran Dopey in both 2019 and 2020 as my first two (and so far only) marathons both is not exactly fun heat. So it's definitely doable. However, I'm not sure I would recommend Dopey as part of a first marathon after only one half. At least for me, my body responds very differently to something for the first time. I was intensely sore the day after my first half marathon, the day after my first 2 race challenge weekend, and the day after my first Dopey which included my first marathon. In each subsequent case, I was nowhere near as sore the day after my second time doing those respective things. So it has very much been a process of learning how my body responds to something and how quickly it bounces back. Because the key to Dopey is learning how quickly your body bounces back.

I will certainly never say that you're crazy for wanting to do it. I talked to many people who ran their very first marathon as part of Dopey or Goofy and they helped reassure me that it's possible. Many others helped me work through the mental challenges of tackling the marathon. I had spent many years insisting I would never run a marathon. I did not reverse course on that idea until I understood that I wanted to run the marathon for my own reasons. And I had to figure out what those reasons were. It helped me a great deal prepare for the Dopey marathon in knowing that I had already finished 8 half marathons, four of which were part of multi race challenge weekends. So I had a decent enough idea of how I should best recover after each individual race heading into the marathon.

I truly believe that my marathon experiences were so enjoyable because I tackled the marathon when I was ready to. I was not pressured into it. I knew I wanted that challenge, but equally important I understood that particular challenge was the next step in my running journey. By taking it on when you're ready, I believe you will have a better experience. I believe that any runner can finish the marathon with decent training, but I believe that one's desire to tackle the marathon will help dictate their enjoyment of that event especially during the most challenging moments of it, namely the race itself.

We are staying at the Poly for the first time for Marathon weekend - so that is definitely one we cannot wait for. We always visit the resort every trip for Trader Sams, Captain Cooks, and casual beach strolls. We can't wait to me on the monorail loop for the first time too!
Of the monorail resorts, the Poly is the one that would interest me most if it's ever within my price range. I'd walked through the grounds once or twice to rent one of those little speedboats when I was on the Disney College Program, but my last trip in January was the first time I deliberately spent a chunk of time at the resort itself. Crowded day at MK and I was getting tired and cranky, and wow--half an hour of quietly wandering the grounds to take photos before hitting up Trader Sam's for drinks at 3:00 was exactly what I needed.

And now it's gone. Shows you you need to move quick. :confused3
Ugh, that is fast. So are they releasing additional blocks? I was hoping they would, maybe after the charities have filled up. They seem to be getting a lot of sign ups because of this. Anyone have any more insights if Disney is going to release more numbers?

Ugh, that is fast. So are they releasing additional blocks? I was hoping they would, maybe after the charities have filled up. They seem to be getting a lot of sign ups because of this. Anyone have any more insights if Disney is going to release more numbers?

I’d guess all that is happening presently is that a few spots are opening up from cancellations or issues within the system. I think we’re mostly just speculating at this point that there could be bigger blocks opening later if they start to feel more secure about covid. I would like to think they will look for an extended successful reopening of the parks and/or a successful vaccine/form of treatment for the virus before they expand numbers.

If anything does happen I think this forum and some of the Facebook groups will be among the first places with the information.

It will be interesting to see when they open January up for online room only bookings as no new hotels are being booked temporarily

Also anxiously awaiting news/updates on this front as we had not booked anything for Jan yet. It's the start of our honeymoon and we'll only be there for the expo/race so not a long trip. I was hoping to snag a reservation at a nice restaurant to celebrate both but it seems like I am going to have to go into Super Stalker mode to make that happen :magnify:

Which makes me feel more and more that W&D will be too and ups the anxiaty about getting a room/ADRs for this weekend {I don't need a package so was waiting for room only to be released online + my check in day would be 180 from the day MK/AK reopen meaning the site will surly be spotty}

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter