Marathon Weekend 2021

Thanks, I'm hoping I don't need the additional buffer this upcoming year, but I got swept in marathon of dopey, and my goal for next year is to be fast enough to ride Everest and get some character photos. So, here's to training hard for Star Wars.

So my sister and I may officially be crazy. We both can’t stop thinking about doing Dopey, even after continually saying how we would never do it. And her saying she’d never do another marathon. I don’t think we’ll do 2021, but we both think 2022 would be cool since we’re wondering if they’d tie in WDW’s 50th celebration.

I am in!

I have never ran a marathon before. I have done two run Disney half marathons, but it is time to make the leap.

I promised myself that I would do a marathon before I am 50 in March 2021, but why not take it eve further and do a Dopey!!!

I am going to need to lean on all of you for how to prepare for such a monumental task.

I am in!

I have never ran a marathon before. I have done two run Disney half marathons, but it is time to make the leap.

I promised myself that I would do a marathon before I am 50 in March 2021, but why not take it eve further and do a Dopey!!!

I am going to need to lean on all of you for how to prepare for such a monumental task.
Sounds a little like me, although I waited until after 50 to do my one and done marathon! It happened to be the 2010 Disney marathon on ice. Simple advice, find a training plan that fits your running abilities. Stick to it and expect some bumps in the road. Not to be confused with "caution runners speed bumps ahead". There are things you can not control but others you can. As with this years marathon weekend, weather had an impact. You'll be fine! You'll get a lot of support and testimonials from runners on this thread! Just for planning purposes, registration watch starts in early April, and then the real fun comes with medal reveal, merchandise, race shirts and weather forecasts in December! Good luck!

So let me ask this, I still consider myself a novice runner after two years. Ive only done one 10k and that was done to get a POT after I comitted to run the Star Wars Half Marathon this coming April. Ive told myself if the Half goes well, Id try the full. The question is, is jumping up to Goofy or Dopey for 2021 too much of a stretch given my limited experience?

If you go read my journal you'll see a year of training to run Dopey for my first ever marathon! If I can do it, you can do it!!

I'm a big ol' maybe for 2021. Definitely hoping to make it happen, but just not sure. It's getting harder and harder to leave the kids for adults-only runDisney weekends. They are older and more sophisticated in their techniques of making me feel guilty! ::yes:: And unfortunately, DH and I don't see eye to eye on how much Disney is too much Disney for our family- Ha! If I'm in, I think I will do the 10K and marathon, or maybe Goofy and run the half with my oldest. I actually liked the 10K/half combo this year more than I thought I would. I was never nervous about the race distance, but had fun doing them!

I'm 90% sure I'm in for the Goofy! Going with 2 friends, one running the half, and the other the full. I will enjoy the half, not aiming for a PR. I'm wondering if a goal of 4:30 is too ambitious, my half PR is 2:08. My only marathon time is 5:30 but we stopped and did about 15 character pictures.

I'm 90% sure I'm in for the Goofy! Going with 2 friends, one running the half, and the other the full. I will enjoy the half, not aiming for a PR. I'm wondering if a goal of 4:30 is too ambitious, my half PR is 2:08. My only marathon time is 5:30 but we stopped and did about 15 character pictures.

Based on this data set: Ian Williams: An Updated Race Equivalency Calculator Attempt

If the HM (2:08) and M had similar conditions (weather and course design), then you would have the following probabilities based on the above data set:

6% chance of 4:27 or better
9% chance of 4:29 or better
24% chance of 4:34 or better
50% chance of 4:44 or better

This all assumes that you didn't have a HM that day prior as you will during Goofy. Even an easy and enjoyed HM will have some negative impact to the ability of a max M effort the next day. So presumably these numbers would shift downwards a tad bit more. How much shifting is debatable? I'd venture to guess your actual time wouldn't shift by more than 7-10% because that's typically what I see when I PR attempted the HM before a PM attempted M.

Based on their conclusions from the data set and determining what characteristics defined those who were better converters:

So a good marathon plan is:
-Over 5-5.5 hrs in duration per week on average for 16 weeks.
-Has a 5L% of 9-11%. So if you do 100 miles as 5L (or five 20 milers), then you better be doing 1000 miles in the 16 weeks of training (or 63 miles per week on average). The more you diverge from this, the worse your HM conversion becomes. Although, you can still be successful at a lower 5L like 60 miles if the 5L% is still in the 9-11% range (or 600 miles total and 38 miles per week) as long as that duration is over 5-5.5 hours for your paces.
-Has you training at roughly 40-80 seconds slower on average for the plan than marathon race pace.

I ran my first Dopey last week, wasn't my first marathon and I totally loved it! Marathon day was hot hot but I slowed down my a min per mile and stopped for characters and that helped! I will be returning with my 12 year old daughter, she will be running the 5 and 10K and I will be doing Dopey again! Just trying to decide on hotels. For MW2020 we stayed at Caribbean Beach but thinking pop with my daughter, can anyone advise what the lines are like for the Skyliner at pop during marathon weekend

I ran my first Dopey last week, wasn't my first marathon and I totally loved it! Marathon day was hot hot but I slowed down my a min per mile and stopped for characters and that helped! I will be returning with my 12 year old daughter, she will be running the 5 and 10K and I will be doing Dopey again! Just trying to decide on hotels. For MW2020 we stayed at Caribbean Beach but thinking pop with my daughter, can anyone advise what the lines are like for the Skyliner at pop during marathon weekend

Whatever the lines were this year, they'll probably be worse next year. Marathon weekend is only a week after the New Year in 2021, and it's highly likely many schools will not start back up from the holidays until DATW Monday.

Whatever the lines were this year, they'll probably be worse next year. Marathon weekend is only a week after the New Year in 2021, and it's highly likely many schools will not start back up from the holidays until DATW Monday.

Goodness, I did think of that as the schools here in the uk and Ireland usually go back on the Monday, thats around the 4th Jan

Hi, everyone. New member here. This year was my first runDisney event and my first marathon. Apparently I’m hooked now because I’m already thinking about next year 😂. I’ve decided to make the leap to Dopey for 2021. I used Hal Higdon for the marathon and it got me through training injury free, which is great because I usually have IT band issues. I’m looking at Higdon’s Dopey plan and Galloway and they’re pretty different plans and schedules. Feeling a little overwhelmed by the options. Any advice for a first time Dopey hopeful is much appreciated!

Hi, everyone. New member here. This year was my first runDisney event and my first marathon. Apparently I’m hooked now because I’m already thinking about next year 😂. I’ve decided to make the leap to Dopey for 2021. I used Hal Higdon for the marathon and it got me through training injury free, which is great because I usually have IT band issues. I’m looking at Higdon’s Dopey plan and Galloway and they’re pretty different plans and schedules. Feeling a little overwhelmed by the options. Any advice for a first time Dopey hopeful is much appreciated!
If you've successfully used Higdon and it worked for you, no reason not to use it again! Plenty of folks successfully use Galloway's plans, too. It's really about what best suits your body and your life. I make my own plans, based on past experience: I don't have the time for long mid-week runs, but I also don't do well with Galloway's lower mid-week mileage and long weekend mileage, so mine's somewhere in the middle. For me, the back-to-back-to-back-to-back training simulations are really important.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter