Marathon Weekend 2021

SAFD:

We’ve always stayed at the All Stars to save money, but I think we are going to try POP for Marathon Weekend.

I would love to stay at any of the resorts within walking distance of Magic Kingdom or Epcot, and I would absolutely love to stay at AKL, but I think I would need to extend my trip by a week just so I could have enough time to watch all the animals/eat all the food and still find some time to get to the parks!

I hated POR for race morning because full buses kept passing us by. But my experience doesn't seem normal (and this was way back in 2013).

Was probably waiting with you back then. It was my first full Marathon and my sister and I were nervous to begin with and we must’ve watched 8-10 buses pass us already full. I don’t know which back depot we were at but there were only a couple other people when we got there and over the course of about an hour there were probably close to 100 waiting by the time we loaded an over full bus that the driver decided out of pity to cram more people to stand in the aisle (after a couple others stopped and told us they’d radio for them to send buses back to us).

It was even more frustrating because all of the information in the resort made it clear that all bus depots would be serviced. Apparently the bus drivers and people organizing resort transportation to the start line did not get the memo. We stayed at POR a couple more times for Marathon Weekend afterward and never chanced waiting at the back depots again.

SAFD:
Beach Club has been our absolute favorite resort to stay at. The ability to walk to two parks is such a perk! Stormalong Bay is our second reason for loving it!!

We are staying at the Poly for the first time for Marathon weekend - so that is definitely one we cannot wait for. We always visit the resort every trip for Trader Sams, Captain Cooks, and casual beach strolls. We can't wait to me on the monorail loop for the first time too!

Was probably waiting with you back then. It was my first full Marathon and my sister and I were nervous to begin with and we must’ve watched 8-10 buses pass us already full. I don’t know which back depot we were at but there were only a couple other people when we got there and over the course of about an hour there were probably close to 100 waiting by the time we loaded an over full bus that the driver decided out of pity to cram more people to stand in the aisle (after a couple others stopped and told us they’d radio for them to send buses back to us).

It was even more frustrating because all of the information in the resort made it clear that all bus depots would be serviced. Apparently the bus drivers and people organizing resort transportation to the start line did not get the memo. We stayed at POR a couple more times for Marathon Weekend afterward and never chanced waiting at the back depots again.

I was with you, too! 2013 was my first WDW marathon year. The day of the half I was at one of the outer depots before 3AM. After seeing a few buses pass by over the course of 40 minutes or so, I cut bait and went to the main depot. I went to the main depot marathon morning. Later that day, I heard similar experiences about the waiting. For the next few years (we always stayed at POR) I always went to the main depot - always! It took years before I got brave enough again to go to the nearest outer depot just because of my experiences in 2013! :)

For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, where is your favorite place you’ve stayed on property and where haven’t you stayed that you’re eager to check out?
SAFD: I've stayed at all but three, and they all have pluses and minuses. I'd say my favorites are:
- AKL/AKV for the atmosphere, especially if I can get a savanna view at a standard price, but I drive and the parking situation at AKL is less than ideal (but pretty terrific at Kidani!)
- CSR with the remodeled rooms - so much space, clean lines, excellent parking, quiet, relaxed vibe, plus a fitness center and quiet pools.
- SSR, my former Home! Parking is great, rooms are nice, landscaping beautiful, and overall ability to feel away from the hustle & bustle speaks to me.

I've not yet stayed at AoA, GF, or Riviera. The only one I'd like to stay at is Riviera.

SAFD: With the exception of AofA, Riviera and Fort Wilderness, I have stayed at all the WDW resorts including the Swan and Dolphin. I will eventually stay at AofA and I am looking forward to the Riviera but I doubt I will ever stay at Fort Wilderness but who knows. As for favorites, that is truly difficult because I do really love them all. My home resorts are Bay Lake Tower, Animal Kingdom and Old Key West so those resorts are special but the Boardwalk is probably my favorite. I love the vibe there and being able to walk to EPCOT and DHS.

I've never stayed at POR for a race weekend, but that resort is still my favorite overall. What they should do (and I don't know if they do this now) is like what OKW does: run the internal shuttle around and drop everyone off at the main depot, then use just that depot to send everyone to the start area.

As for SAFD:
Favorite resort: POR overall. For race weekend, maybe The Contemporary for the Monorail (as long as it's working)

Want to try:
WL. DW and I stayed there one night for a split stay and it was gorgeous! I want to try a longer stay next time.

GFL. That's actually our 2021 resort

BC/YC. I've never been to that area. I want to try it, sometime.

SAFD:

This is hard because I have enjoyed all of the resorts we have stayed at for different reasons. My favorites though would have to be the Boardwalk and Beach Club - I just love the whole Boardwalk area and it's proximity to both Epcot & HS. I love the Beach Club because it reminds me of MW with my girlfriends, and we once stayed as a family at the Boardwalk (usually can't afford Deluxe with the family, but I scored a huge discount that year), and it was just an all around awesome trip.

Would like to try the Poly and AKL. I also would like to try FW for a long trip with our camper sometime, although that would require an upgrade in our towing vehicle for that long drive.

SAFD: since we rent a car we tend to rent a house offsite so we have a kitchen and laundry. I’ve also Stayed onsite a number of times over the years and my favorites are the Contemporary and the Boardwalk. The location of both is fantastic.

Someday I’m hoping to stay at AKL/AKV and Riviera.

Hey y'all! For almost 5 years I've been trying to do the Wine and Dine half. Year 1: had a baby that weekend, year 2: found out I was pregnant with #2, year 3: couldn't swing the trip, and last year: same weekend as our wedding. 🤦‍♀️ So, I'm cutting the idea of doing Wine and Dine and planning to try for Marathon weekend instead!

I know it is sold out currently, so I'm going to look into a travel agency or charity instead.

I've never run a full before. Actually, I've never run a half yet (first one will hopefully be RnR Vegas in November). Have any of you just gone for Dopey as part of your first marathon? I feel like I'm crazy for even thinking of this.

Hey y'all! For almost 5 years I've been trying to do the Wine and Dine half. Year 1: had a baby that weekend, year 2: found out I was pregnant with #2, year 3: couldn't swing the trip, and last year: same weekend as our wedding. 🤦‍♀️ So, I'm cutting the idea of doing Wine and Dine and planning to try for Marathon weekend instead!

I know it is sold out currently, so I'm going to look into a travel agency or charity instead.

I've never run a full before. Actually, I've never run a half yet (first one will hopefully be RnR Vegas in November). Have any of you just gone for Dopey as part of your first marathon? I feel like I'm crazy for even thinking of this.
Welcome.:welcome:

This year will be my first Marathon and my first Dopey. I do recall some others are making the leap to a Dopey this year as well. Just know you are not alone or crazier than the rest of us who have signed up for this. I am still looking for someone to talk me out of it! 🤪

I wish you all the best in your search for a bib. As was mentioned a couple of pages back, @The Expert mentioned in post 1,522 "They don't usually announce. Just bookmark and check the site. " By that, it is meant to check the runDisney Marathon weekend site often to see if they open up any additional bibs.

SAFD:

My signature shows all the resorts we’ve ever stayed at. This is honestly the only way I can keep up with them. Before joining DVC we were value resort people because, well, they’re cheaper (obviously) and we couldn’t justify spending more on rooms we only planned to sleep in. We are open to close park people.

We’ve only stayed at one moderate and we loved it. POFQ - we’d definitely stay there again.

Our favorite deluxe resorts (in no particular order):
AKV - LOVE the animals and we own there
Poly - proximity to parks, the atmosphere, and we own there
Boardwalk - proximity and my kids love that pool & slide
Beach Club - proximity and pools
Copper Creek- love the theme and decor!

We’d like to stay at all the deluxe at least once. We are missing Riviera, Saratoga, and Grand Floridian. I’m really hoping for an adult only trip for VGF 😉.

where is your favorite place you’ve stayed on property and where haven’t you stayed that you’re eager to check out?

My favorites are probably Contemporary and Beach Club, as we're a family of 5 so it's Deluxe or AoA. I'd probably say my favorite mod is POR. Love those royal rooms. The bestie and I stay in them a lot for racecations. We'll be there again for Wine & Dine and my family and I will be back at Contemporary. We love the ease of getting to MK and seeing fireworks from our room. I loved the pool and walk to Epcot at BC, but the hubs says he refuses to stay anywhere, but Contemporary. (Really he'll stay wherever I book he'll just complain if it's not his fav! LOL!)

I'd love to stay at the Poly. It's on my bucket list!

My one observation for putting AoA last is that I’ve stayed there twice in the family suites and those buildings have very poor ventilation and have been Used.

This is exactly how I feel about AoA. We loved the space as a family of 5 and stayed there shortly after it opened. When we stayed again it just seemed worn out already so we haven't been back. (And the AC issues there...) I actually did try to talk DH into saving money and staying there for marathon, but as I mentioned above, he refused!

SAFD: Great topic, love hearing everyone's favorites. Here my favorites I have stayed, each for a different reason:

* For family vacation with younger kids: Polynesian. The proximity to MK meant we went there everyday for at least an hour or two, generally to get a ride or two while the night parade was going on and the lines are shorter.
* Epcot resort area. I have stayed at Beach Club (alone for work) and Dolphin (I know, technically not Disney) both for work and with friends during MW. I love this location for so many reasons.
* Pop. Stayed there for this year's MW with just the wife and with the gondolas running it was perfect. Lower cost but easy access to Boardwalk area. Though there is no hot tub having stayed at other resorts we knew which ones we could sneak into without issue.

Future trips:

* Boardwalk or Beach Club with the family. I think the kids once they are a few years older (will have two teenagers in less than 2 years) they will love this area, especially with easy access to Star Wars.
* Contemporary. It's a classic and since I was a kid loved taking the monorail through on the way to MK.

Reportedly 10K bib popped up for a very very short period of time today. So definitely keep watching.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter