Marathon Weekend 2020

[
Can anyone tell me how much I walked from the bus stop to the start line of the WDW half marathon last year? I'd like to brag about the complete amount of damage I did that day (not including the zombie walk around Disney Springs after.) Also, for this year I'd like to know. I should get a fitbit or apple watch or something... a ruler and a map...

My Garmin says I walked 30.25 miles from the time I left the hotel room until I returned after the marathon.

SAFD:

1. Sanaa-I love the bread service and am always able to find an interesting entree. Part of vacation for me is finding things that are different than what I can readily get at home (Living in the midwest this is, unfortunately, a shocking number of cuisines) and Sanaa always hits that mark.
2. Restaurant Marakesh-I love the ambiance and, once again, it's something I can't easily approximate at home. It's unfortunate that the unfamiliarity seems to scare a lot of people off and that it isn't more popular; I think there is a little complacency because no matter how exceptional the food is it will never get the numbers of other restaurants.
3. Tusker House-The green curry shrimp (I'm not sure what they actually label it) is my favorite dish in the parks. I like the rest of the spread, but I could eat just the green curry shrimp and go home happy.

Honorable Mention-Boma (the soups and stews are so amazing, could eat just from that section), Crystal Palace (Food is fine, this is about the Eeyore), Morimoto Asia (I can approximate this at home easier than the others, but it's good), Boatwrights (I know the reputation and it's been a couple years since I've been back, but I looooooove the cornbread and have never been disappointed in my entree), Mama Melrose (the pork shank special I got there a couple years ago was amazing)

Least Favorite (don't like being negative, but this place deserves the scorn)-Chef Mickey's-Loud, crowded, hurried and hectic. The food is "we know we could serve gruel and people would show up" caliber.

2. Restaurant Marakesh-I love the ambiance and, once again, it's something I can't easily approximate at home. It's unfortunate that the unfamiliarity seems to scare a lot of people off and that it isn't more popular; I think there is a little complacency because no matter how exceptional the food is it will never get the numbers of other restaurants.

Well stated. I loved the short ribs I had there this year and the service was impeccable.

It doesn’t help that it’s so hidden.

3. Liberty tree tavern (although I still miss the rolls they had in the 90s)

We ate at Liberty Tree Tavern during our first family trip 7-8 years ago and they had an incredible BLT-like sandwich that was to die for. But I think they took it off the menu.

I need to give yak and yeti another go. I like their menu in theory, but ordered a special the one time we went and was underwhelmed.

I have only had the honey chicken but it is yummy yummy in my tummy.

I have tried the lo main as well when my mom ordered it, which was good. But I keep going back for the honey chicken.

I'm going to have it as my pre-marathon meal this year.

Thanks! We won't have a car on this trip, so may just Uber/Lyft to the start line.

Breakfast at Kona is my fave too. Samoan + Kona press pot = breakfast heaven.

Depending on when you finish, the monorail will probably be faster than an uber/bus if you are at one of the monorail resorts. For example, one year I stayed at one of the monorail resorts and the monorail was nice and quick. Whereas another year during the half marathon I took a bus, after when I thought most people would have been finished, and it took me well over an hour to get to the TTC from Port Orleans with everyone packed in body-to-body.

I’ve only been to WDW once and only eaten at two table service restaurants. But, they were perfect for what we were trying to accomplish.

1. California Grill Bruch- after Wine and Dine half marathon in 2018. Perfect way to celebrate and a window view of MK. I had actually not been into MK at this point...Mimosas, sushi, steak and eggs, what’s not to beat...
2. Liberty Tree Tavern- we had a early dinner right before the Christmas Party. Perfect way to transition from park day to Christmas (plus a ride on the Jingle Cruise).

With marathon weekend and Star War in 2020, hope to hit up a couple more places.

1. Tiffins is by and far my favorite meal on property. Love the food and some part of childhood me about squeeled internally when they brought out the bread appetizer in little tiffins. I know, I know should have been obvious but thing was I hadn't seen those style of containers since I had last been in India. And something about seeing them again took me back to being 8 and having my after school tutor bringing me food in the tiffins when my Mom was out of town. Its such a little thing but it really does matter to me.

2. Le Cellier- Good Steak and love the maple creme bulee. Dragging my best friend there with me on the December trip.

3. Tusker House-Drink and variety of food.

I'll also second Crystal Palace from a nostalgia standpoint for honorable mentions. Though mine is less Eyore and more wanting to see Tigger!

Oh and Be Our Guest at some point has become a staple trip of mine.

Only place I've tried and not liked so far that I can think of is Sci-Fi dinner. Thought food was mediocre and just wasn't worth it.

I haven't been to Cinderella's Royal Table in years but I'm going to be doing it in December on Christmas party night. I think the last time I did it was in 2013?

Speaking of transport I'm probably going to do the bus on 5/10 morning and Uber on half/full morning. I was not happy with how long it took us to get to the start area the last couple of years on the longer race mornings. Don't really care as much on 5/10 morning but half and full I usually get race retreat and I want to get my money's worth.

SAFD: I'm a WDW local, so consistency is a big driver for me; I've had an excellent meal at many WDW eateries, but often return to the same place and have a disappointing experience. So, with that in min, my Top 3 table service locations, with #1 being the best...

3. A tie between La Hacienda de San Angel and Via Napoli - but if I have to pick one, it goes to La Hacienda's quieter dining room
2. Hollywood Brown Derby - over 20, years, still delivers one of the best martinis I've ever had, and the food is great, too.
1. Victoria & Albert's. Nothing else even comes close.

Do it! He’s one of the best chefs out there today. Jaleo is wonderful, and his tiny restaurants like é in Vegas or Minibar in DC are even better.
I went to Jaleo in DC and wasn't into it. We always went to La Tasca when we wanted Tapas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter