Marathon Weekend 2020

Question: runDisney TAs generally get group rates at POP and CBR, both of which are Skyliner resorts, correct?
I wonder if they'll get different resorts after the Skyliner opens or get the same resorts at higher prices.

These operate on mountains and in snowy conditions. I think they'll be just fine in Florida. They obviously won't operate in hurricane force winds but general windy days will be fine.

My point was not clear. I have no doubt that they will be able to function in Florida winds. What I am interested to see is how much sway, bounce and lateral movement the winds will impart to the gondolas. More than a little and I'm out...

My point was not clear. I have no doubt that they will be able to function in Florida winds. What I am interested to see is how much sway, bounce and lateral movement the winds will impart to the gondolas. More than a little and I'm out...
I don't think they will move much once people are inside and they are moving on the line. There was a short video from testing where the gondola was stopped and winds were around 20MPH and there was some sway. This is without people and while it is stopped.

I am not an expert but I believe the gondolas will be an awesome mode of transportation especially compared to a bus. I think they will be smooth and fast with little to no sway/bounce or lateral movement. The movement will be almost as smooth as being on an escalator. Then there is the the "wow" factor of getting views of the resort as you travel. I am guessing they will load quickly (like the People Mover) and will be 100 times more efficient and relaxing than a riding a bus - especially during crowded times. I hate it when 120 people are cramming into a bus that holds 80. In all my years of going to WDW, having to rely so much on bus transportation to get around has always been one of the few negatives. Connecting more resorts and parks with more monorail was always my wish but I honestly feel like this is an even better, faster and more comfortable solution. Only time will tell, but I am excited for the gondolas.

Last edited:

I am not an expert but I believe the gondolas will be an awesome mode of transportation especially compared to a bus. I think they will be smooth and fast with little to no sway/bounce or lateral movement. The movement will be almost as smooth as being on an escalator. Then there is the the "wow" factor of getting views of the resort as you travel. I am guessing they will load quickly (like the People Mover) and will be 100 times more efficient and relaxing than a riding a bus - especially when having to deal crowded times. I hate it when 120 people are cramming into a bus that holds 80. In all my years of going to WDW, having to rely so much on bus transportation to get around has always been one of the few negatives. Connecting more resorts and parks with more monorail was always my wish but I honestly feel like this is an even better, faster and more comfortable solution. Only time will tell, but I am excited for the gondolas.

I completely agree. We saw them running some test gondolas while we were there last week. They appeared to be moving at a pretty brisk pace and it was a windy day and I didn't notice any sway in the gondolas as they were moving. I'm excited to see them running in production and unwrapped.

I am also very afraid of heights but I MAY try the gondolas. They don't seem excessively high. My biggest fear is getting stuck or just sitting there if they have to stop it for a loading/unloading problem. I can do high roller coasters because they don't stop but I never ride ferris wheels because they leave you dangling there, ugh! Of course, roller coasters can get stuck too - on our Universal trip last November the Rip Ride Rockit got stuck just as it was starting to crest the top of the straight uphill climb. The people in the first car were almost level. They were stuck for at least an hour. I would have died!

I am also very afraid of heights but I MAY try the gondolas. They don't seem excessively high. My biggest fear is getting stuck or just sitting there if they have to stop it for a loading/unloading problem. I can do high roller coasters because they don't stop but I never ride ferris wheels because they leave you dangling there, ugh! Of course, roller coasters can get stuck too - on our Universal trip last November the Rip Ride Rockit got stuck just as it was starting to crest the top of the straight uphill climb. The people in the first car were almost level. They were stuck for at least an hour. I would have died!
The good thing about how Disney built this is they build dual load/unloads at the stations so for wheelchairs, ECVs, etc. they can load at the second load area which wouldn't slow down or stop the line at all.

The good thing about how Disney built this is they build dual load/unloads at the stations so for wheelchairs, ECVs, etc. they can load at the second load area which wouldn't slow down or stop the line at all.

I really hope this works as well in practice as they’ve drawn it up on paper. There are a lot of informed, courteous and efficient guests (I’d say the majority strive to be such); but there are also a good number of uninformed, self-important, slow, and all-around unpleasant guests. That second type of guests can take a well-intentioned and properly planned process that should be functioning quickly and painlessly and turn it into a nightmare (park entrance I’m looking at you).

I am optimistic that the Skyliner is going to be pretty cool and a good additional form of transportation, but I’m cautious in my optimism that it will run as efficiently as we all hope.

I really hope this works as well in practice as they’ve drawn it up on paper. There are a lot of informed, courteous and efficient guests (I’d say the majority strive to be such); but there are also a good number of uninformed, self-important, slow, and all-around unpleasant guests. That second type of guests can take a well-intentioned and properly planned process that should be functioning quickly and painlessly and turn it into a nightmare (park entrance I’m looking at you).

Wouldn't it be fun to be one of the people who gets to test the process by acting like that kind of guest? :rotfl2:

I am optimistic that the Skyliner is going to be pretty cool and a good additional form of transportation, but I’m cautious in my optimism that it will run as efficiently as we all hope.

The way these work is that when they come into a station, there's a second line where the load/unload happens. No matter how long it takes, even if they have to stop that loop in the station, the main line keeps running continuously. I've been on what is basically this exact same system in Hong Kong - the Ngong Ping 360. It runs every day of the year up a mountain (near HKDL, actually) to a monastery and a beautiful outdoor seated Buddha statue. I've been on it multiple times and felt very secure, even very high (100 feet or more) in the air. They have no issues with the heat, humidity, rain, wind, etc of coastal Hong Kong -- the only time I've heard it being stopped was during typhoons! This system will be just fine in Florida.

Just to throw this back out for the daytime traffic - I have a couple of spots left for a DISGroup rate at the following hotels for Marathon Weekend: Pop Century, Caribbean Beach. I might also have one spot left at Wilderness Lodge.

If you're interested in getting your hotel booked before they open to the public at a slightly discounted group rate, let me know!

Just to throw this back out for the daytime traffic - I have a couple of spots left for a DISGroup rate at the following hotels for Marathon Weekend: Pop Century, Caribbean Beach. I might also have one spot left at Wilderness Lodge.

If you're interested in getting your hotel booked before they open to the public at a slightly discounted group rate, let me know!

Wish I could but unless a miracle happens 2020 is out of the plan financially. :guilty:

I've been on what is basically this exact same system in Hong Kong - the Ngong Ping 360. It runs every day of the year up a mountain (near HKDL, actually) to a monastery and a beautiful outdoor seated Buddha statue. I've been on it multiple times and felt very secure, even very high (100 feet or more) in the air.

Is this the one with the glass bottom option???
I will ride the Disney Skyliner- but not this one with the glass floor! LOL!

The way these work is that when they come into a station, there's a second line where the load/unload happens. No matter how long it takes, even if they have to stop that loop in the station, the main line keeps running continuously. I've been on what is basically this exact same system in Hong Kong - the Ngong Ping 360. It runs every day of the year up a mountain (near HKDL, actually) to a monastery and a beautiful outdoor seated Buddha statue. I've been on it multiple times and felt very secure, even very high (100 feet or more) in the air. They have no issues with the heat, humidity, rain, wind, etc of coastal Hong Kong -- the only time I've heard it being stopped was during typhoons! This system will be just fine in Florida.

I think I’ve got a pretty good mental picture of how things are supposed to function. I’m just wondering how things will go when guests inevitably screw up the process.

When I first heard of the skyliner I thought it sounded like a terrible idea, but I’ve done a 180 on it and am pretty excited for it now. That said, I’ve seen guests (for all manner of reasons) completely flummoxed by even the simplest of tasks/instructions at WDW. Just hoping it turns out to be relatively foolproof.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter