Marathon Weekend 2020

So funny that you posted because I was just thinking about going on to ask what others thought of the Half course.

To the rest of the folks here, @CaliforniaGirl09 and I did the Half together, along with her DD20. I've now done 9 runDisney half marathons (4 at DL and 5 at WDW) and totally agree this was the worst course I have experienced (also worse than the two half marathons I have done in Idaho where I live). I was joking afterward that we should hashtag it #Sh*ttiestRunDisneyCourseEver. The lack of park time was my biggest complaint, but the bottlenecks were so much worse than in past races. But, seriously, 2 miles (at most!) out of 13.1 actually in the parks? I didn't pay a premium for tarmac, lol!

I think it is a very commonly held belief that the Half Marathon course during WDW Marathon Weekend is the worst rD course. It is certainly my belief. This year may have been my worst experience with it yet.

Coming out of the last corral (I can't complain about the placement, it is what I earned and where I belonged) was very unsatisfying. We started over an hour after the first wave and I found myself running in the grass during most of my intervals; I think the lack of sure footing was a contributing factor to my blister issue that caused me to miss the Full. The sheer volume of runners was an issue throughout most of the course for me.

The course itself is a mail-in as far as I'm concerned. MK is cool and all, but when it's the only park on the course (does that tiny sliver of Epcot actually count?) it's pretty disappointing. I think the size of the race plays a big role in their inability to get more creative with the course. They seem to focus on getting onto the widest roads available and it still feels very compact in a lot of places.

The Half at Marathon Weekend was my first race ever in 2012. At the time, I thought it was awesome. Time and other races has severely changed that opinion for me. I still prefer a mile or two of MK to most local races (cities are cities, buildings are buildings, roads are roads :confused3) and, I guess, I understand why the course exists as it does; but it's still a disappointment and the least fun of the four Dopey races.

I think it is a very commonly held belief that the Half Marathon course during WDW Marathon Weekend is the worst rD course. It is certainly my belief. This year may have been my worst experience with it yet.

I think it's previously been established, but I thoroughly enjoy the half marathon course; more than the 10K. So, "commonly held?" Yes. But, "universally held?" Not at all.

Were the Swedish Fish at mile 24? If so that was me and my husband and @Dis_Yoda
YES!! Thank you! I’m pretty sure the only word I got out when approaching you guys was “fish” [gasp for air].
Edited to add: I was running by around 10:50am in a Disney-bounding style Boo costume

Attachments

• 7EE1405C-EF2F-4D51-94FE-3280BB0E5CC6.jpeg
    7EE1405C-EF2F-4D51-94FE-3280BB0E5CC6.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 32

Coming out of the last corral (I can't complain about the placement, it is what I earned and where I belonged) was very unsatisfying. We started over an hour after the first wave and I found myself running in the grass during most of my intervals; I think the lack of sure footing was a contributing factor to my blister issue that caused me to miss the Full. The sheer volume of runners was an issue throughout most of the course for me.

The course itself is a mail-in as far as I'm concerned. MK is cool and all, but when it's the only park on the course (does that tiny sliver of Epcot actually count?) it's pretty disappointing. I think the size of the race plays a big role in their inability to get more creative with the course. They seem to focus on getting onto the widest roads available and it still feels very compact in a lot of places.

The Half at Marathon Weekend was my first race ever in 2012. At the time, I thought it was awesome. Time and other races has severely changed that opinion for me. I still prefer a mile or two of MK to most local races (cities are cities, buildings are buildings, roads are roads :confused3) and, I guess, I understand why the course exists as it does; but it's still a disappointment and the least fun of the four Dopey races.
Glad to know we weren’t imaging things :) We did it last year, and I don’t remember it being that bad but they all start to blend lol.

Did I capture everything??? We’re Esmeralda and Clopin our for both races?

Half:
- Pirates
- Reindeer (not Sven).
- Duffy
- Queen of Hearts
- Dopey
- Pinocchio
- Pluto
- Yellow Dress Daisy
- Speedboat Goofy
- Lilo
- Horace
- Panchito
- Woody
- Esmeralda and Clopin
- Lightning McQueen & Tow Mater

Full:
- Tinkerbell and Periwinkle(?)
- Judy Hops & Nick Wilde
- Phineas & Ferb
- Hawaiian Stitch
- Vanellope
- Buzz Lightyear
- White Rabbit
- Sebastian
- Jessie
- Jafar
- Gravediggers
- Yellow Dress Daisy & Dress Coat & Top Hat Donald
- 2 Country Bears (Shaker and Liverlips)
- Football Goofy
- Orange Bird
- Timon
- Kevin
- Adventurer’s Club
- Hyacinth (pink Fantasia hippo)
- Aurora
- Belle
- Snow White
- Max Goof
- Speedboat Goofy
- Safari Mickey
- Minnie - Fiesta
- Pluto x2 (GF & ESPN)
- Olaf
- Flick & Atta
- Mr. & Mrs. Incredible and Frozone

Since this was my first half, I can't comment about courses. I liked the roads, as it helped me get by others who were walking or running slower than me. I walked more than I ran, as I am migraine prone. My biggest problem was I stopped for bathroom breaks too much! :rotfl2: I did finish though my time was lousey do to those stops. On to DLP in September.

Half:
- Pirates
- Reindeer (not Sven).
- Duffy
- Queen of Hearts
- Dopey
- Pinocchio
- Pluto
- Yellow Dress Daisy
- Speedboat Goofy
- Lilo
- Horace
- Panchito
- Woody
- Esmeralda and Clopin

Full:
- Judy Hops & Nick Wilde
- Phineas & Ferb
- Hawaiian Stitch
- Vanellope
- Buzz Lightyear
- White Rabbit
- Sebastian
- Jessie
- Jafar
- Gravediggers
- Football Goofy
- Orange Bird
- Timon
- Kevin
- Adventurer’s Club
- Aurora
- Belle
- Snow White
- Max Goof
- Speedboat Goofy
- Safari Mickey
- Minnie - Fiesta
- Pluto x2 (GF & ESPN)
- Olaf
- Flick & Atta
I think we almost have them all. Here are a couple more to add from my pictures (ironically both in almost the exact same spot):

Half:
Chicken Little

Full:
Maleficent - Festival of Fantasy Parade Float - There was a photopass photographer there so I stopped for a picture.

Finally back from Marathon weekend where overall it was a great time.

Highlights:
--Running both races (half/full) with people and just having fun. This is definitely not my usual thing, but was the goal this time. I succeeded in running with two WISH friends on Saturday, and the Goof Troop on Sunday. In nearly every photo taken so far, I am smiling. This is unusual and my face is still sore from using those muscles ;)
-- @FFigawi and @lhermiston for leading the Troop on Sunday. I owe you both a beer, especially to Lee for being the brunt of my highly developed sense of sarcasm.
--The weather....post races. It just felt nice to walk in warm sunshine before heading back home.
--Having a wonderful Guest Relations person override my boarding group (69) and let me ride ROTR early so I could catch my flight. The ride was down for a while, and I probably would have made it if it hadn't been, so it wasn't a huge stretch, but still, picture Snoopy doing his happy dance and that was me!

Lowlights
--Missing DATW again. I couldn't find the group early on and had to run an errand at GF for my sister, so ended up missing out.
--All the construction at Epcot. Why FW is even open is beyond me.
--MK crowds on Saturday. So bad, I don't think i stayed for 3 hours. As a non-AP ticket holder, those were the most expensive rides I did all trip.
--Tendinitis? in one of my knees. Wouldn't be me if I didn't develop a "hey this is new" running issue.

On the whole, a nice trip.

This was my first WDW half marathon and I didn't think the course was that bad. Sure, more park time would have been great, but love the fan support at TTC, Grand Floridian and Poly, in addition to Main Street. Geographically, there's not a whole lot they could do about getting more park time. Even with the Disneyland Half Marathon, there wasn't all that much park time and we were done with the parks by Mile 4. Other than a short run through Angels Stadium, there wasn't a whole lot interesting on that race either besides the parks. And not much can be done about FW this year. There's so much construction that it would have been difficult to funnel runners through it. Not sure how it will look next year, but by Marathon Weekend 2022, it should be available again.

That was hot out there, especially after AK for the back of the pack. I am unfortunately no longer Perfectly Goofy or Perfectly Dopey. I pulled myself at mile 19 because of the heat and humidity. I couldn't stay hydrated and recognized the heat stress symptoms that were setting in. So this is the first time since 2006 I have not crossed the marathon finish line. This was warmer than 2007 and 2013. I have to decide if my runDisney career is over or if I try again next year for redemption and start a new streak.

Overall 6 Perfect Goofy runners did not finish the full, so there are now 72 remaining.

-- @FFigawi and @lhermiston for leading the Troop on Sunday. I owe you both a beer, especially to Lee for being the brunt of my highly developed sense of sarcasm

Thanks for joining in!

--MK crowds on Saturday. So bad, I don't think i stayed for 3 hours. As a non-AP ticket holder, those were the most expensive rides I did all trip.

MK was brutal this weekend. I wasn’t expecting it since the crowd projections from touring plans were fairly low, IIRC. I didn’t do much either day that wasn’t FP+, but I got a tremendous spot for HEA, so I’m not terribly disappointed.

I'm back in cold Chicago still smiling after a great weekend. An over 1 hour personal worst in the Marathon did not dampen my spirits.

Highlights for me were; running the M with no time goal, stopping for pictures and drinks, riding EE with my daughter during the race, and meeting many of you at the HH meetup and DATW.

Lowlights for me were: the long walk to the corals, the late M start, exiting Blizzard Beach and seeing a wall of people in front of me at the corner of Western Way and Buena Vista. I felt as I was in a three mile deep coral walking to the start line on Buena Vista until the turn into Hollywood Studios.

I'm planning on returning in November for the W&D half.

That was hot out there, especially after AK for the back of the pack. I am unfortunately no longer Perfectly Goofy or Perfectly Dopey. I pulled myself at mile 19 because of the heat and humidity. I couldn't stay hydrated and recognized the heat stress symptoms that were setting in. So this is the first time since 2006 I have not crossed the marathon finish line. This was warmer than 2007 and 2013. I have to decide if my runDisney career is over or if I try again next year for redemption and start a new streak.

Overall 6 Perfect Goofy runners did not finish the full, so there are now 72 remaining.

As a former Perfect Dopey who had to pull myself out of the Marathon before it even began I can relate to your decision. Although I didn’t have quite the amazing streak you had going it was still agonizing.

All the respect in the world for your accomplishment and I wish you good luck in deciding what to do moving forward.

I hope your mom is doing ok. Sorry to hear that. I was talking with another runner about how good that lazy river looked. They had just started to cut the course when I got there and the staff said we could skip Blizzard Beach. I asked if we had to and she said no, so I wanted to complete the whole 48.6 and went into BB. When we came out, they weren’t letting anyone else in.

Half:
- Pirates
- Reindeer (not Sven).
- Duffy
- Queen of Hearts
- Dopey
- Pinocchio
- Pluto
- Yellow Dress Daisy
- Speedboat Goofy
- Lilo
- Horace
- Panchito
- Woody
- Esmeralda and Clopin

Full:
- Judy Hops & Nick Wilde
- Phineas & Ferb
- Hawaiian Stitch
- Vanellope
- Buzz Lightyear
- White Rabbit
- Sebastian
- Jessie
- Jafar
- Gravediggers
- Football Goofy
- Orange Bird
- Timon
- Kevin
- Adventurer’s Club
- Aurora
- Belle
- Snow White
- Max Goof
- Speedboat Goofy
- Safari Mickey
- Minnie - Fiesta
- Pluto x2 (GF & ESPN)
- Olaf
- Flick & Atta

jasmine was out for the full - in Morocco in mile 25!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter