Marathon Weekend 2020

Thanks @KevM and @MissLiss279. I have a few more to add from my pics in the Half and one from memory in the Full. I still have zero full character pics. Let’s keep adding to the list if there are any more missing:

Half:
- Reindeer (not Sven).
- Duffy
- Queen of Hearts
- Dopey
- Pinocchio
- Pluto
- Yellow Dress Daisy
- Speedboat Goofy
- Lilo
- Horace
- Panchito
- Woody
- Esmeralda and Clopin

Full:
- Tinkerbell and Periwinkle(?)
- Judy Hops & Nick Wilde
- Hawaiian Stitch
- Vanellope
- White Rabbit
- Jessie
- Jafar
- Gravediggers
- Yellow Dress Daisy & Dress Coat & Top Hat Donald
- 2 Country Bears
- Football Goofy
- Timon
- Kevin
- Hyacinth (pink hippo)
- Aurora
- Belle
- Snow White
- Max Goof
- Speedboat Goofy
- Safari Mickey
- Minnie - Fiesta?
- Pluto (was he out twice??)
- Buzz Lightyear
- Olaf
- Flick & Atta
- Mr. & Mrs. Incredible and Frozone

Mr. and Mrs. Incredible and Frozone were out in the MK parking lot. My picture hasn't appeared yet with them.

Thanks @KevM and @MissLiss279. I have a few more to add from my pics in the Half and one from memory in the Full. I still have zero full character pics. Let’s keep adding to the list if there are any more missing:

Half:
- Reindeer (not Sven).
- Duffy
- Queen of Hearts
- Dopey
- Pinocchio
- Pluto
- Yellow Dress Daisy
- Speedboat Goofy
- Lilo
- Horace
- Panchito
- Woody
- Esmeralda and Clopin

Full:
- Judy Hops & Nick Wilde
- Hawaiian Stitch
- Vanellope
- White Rabbit
- Jessie
- Jafar
- Gravediggers
- 2 Country Bears
- Football Goofy
- Timon
- Kevin
- Hyacinth (pink hippo)
- Aurora
- Belle
- Snow White
- Max Goof
- Speedboat Goofy
- Safari Mickey
- Minnie - Fiesta?
- Buzz Lightyear
- Olaf
- Flick & Atta

Phineas and Ferb were in Epcot just past mile 3 I think.

Half:
- Reindeer (not Sven).
- Duffy
- Queen of Hearts
- Dopey
- Pinocchio
- Pluto
- Yellow Dress Daisy
- Speedboat Goofy
- Lilo
- Horace
- Panchito
- Woody
- Esmeralda and Clopin

Full:
- Judy Hops & Nick Wilde
- Hawaiian Stitch
- Vanellope
- White Rabbit
- Jessie
- Jafar
- Gravediggers
- 2 Country Bears
- Football Goofy
- Timon
- Kevin
- Hyacinth (pink hippo)
- Aurora
- Belle
- Snow White
- Max Goof
- Speedboat Goofy
- Safari Mickey
- Minnie - Fiesta?
- Buzz Lightyear
- Olaf
- Flick & Atta

Pretty sure the Goof Troop stopped for a photo with Buzz in MK during the full, though proof of this has yet to appear in PhotoPass ;)

Half:
- Reindeer (not Sven).
- Duffy
- Queen of Hearts
- Dopey
- Pinocchio
- Pluto
- Yellow Dress Daisy
- Speedboat Goofy
- Lilo
- Horace
- Panchito
- Woody
- Esmeralda and Clopin

Full:
- Judy Hops & Nick Wilde
- Hawaiian Stitch
- Vanellope
- White Rabbit
- Jessie
- Jafar
- Gravediggers
- 2 Country Bears
- Football Goofy
- Timon
- Kevin
- Hyacinth (pink hippo)
- Aurora
- Belle
- Snow White
- Max Goof
- Speedboat Goofy
- Safari Mickey
- Minnie - Fiesta?
- Buzz Lightyear
- Olaf
- Flick & Atta
Full - Sebastian (near The Little Mermaid area in MK)

I wanted to come back and see which predictions came true:
SAFD - My Predictions:
* I will be too excited to sleep well multiple days this week YUP
* I will spectate the mid-to-back of pack runners at Epcot for the Half, including my sister (dressed as Vampirina!) YES!
* Even with the heat, I'm going to enjoy the Marathon. I will [mostly] fight back the competitive side of my brain to focus on the fun I don’t know if “enjoy” is the right word...but I definitely made the best of things and I’m happy with my race overall. Because of the heat and just never knowing how my body is going to show up on race day, I had set some non-time goals such as 10+ photo stops. I ended up achieving both that and my secret time goal - so a great race for me.
* I will meet some new friends on the course Sort of. I didn’t make the meets, but tried to encourage runners along the way.
* Some runner throwing water on themselves will accidentally hit me with it (wouldn't be the first time) False
* I will take candy from strangers Swedish fish!!
* I'll see my family spectating at the Studios, and my daughter will complain she's too hot waiting there Half true. Saw the fam, daughter shockingly did not complain (in the one minute I saw her)
* I will tear up more than once spectating and during my own race TRUE for spectating, but not my own race.
* I will celebrate by eating ALL.THE.TREATS (starting on Monday) I’m just getting started :)
* I will wear my medal with pride, and wear it on Rise of the Resistance on Tuesday! Oops! I didn’t wear my medal today. But I did wear it on Sunday and Monday, and we rode RotR today!

Congrats to all the marathoners who made it through what sounds like a horribly hot and humid morning complicated by transportation issues and race delays. I did the last half in Anaheim (9/2017) when we had record heat and a red flag warning, and it was not fun--especially for those of us in the later corrals.

--I did the half on Saturday, and was very underwhelmed by the course. It was my tenth Disney Half (3 at DLR and 7 at WDW) in last three years and for me this was the worst course of the bunch. It seemed as if there was very little front of the park time. Couldn't have been more than a couple miles through the parks? The course also felt as if it had a lot more bottlenecks and tight places, but that could have been because it seemed more crowded than normal.
--super frustrating at the castle when everyone stopped to take selfies in a solid long line that literally blocked the rest of the course and we all came to a complete standstill. People around me were yelling, etc. and they finally moved. Seriously people.
--Character lines seemed longer than normal for us when we came through in F so no stopping for any pics :(
--The monorail from BLT went super smooth in the morning. Really great option especially given our bus ride back.
--We did Runners Square (more on that later) so we stopped by after the race to pick up our gift. As the tent was literally right next to the bus for BLT (third stop) we opted not to walk the long distance back to Epcot. I hate the buses, and we narrowly escaped disaster. Our bus driver was clueless; it had to have been his first run. After dropping off at Wilderness Lodge he took the wrong road after the parking lot even though it literally had construction/no access on it. He came to a point with a sign that warned construction ahead do not enter. I was in the front and could see him debating in his mind whether to continue because he was kind of stuck. Most people weren't paying attention until that point. I was about ready to say something if he went forward, but fortunately, he decided to back up the bus until he could find a place to turn around. Not knowing where he was going, he decided to drop off us at BLT before going to Fort Wilderness. God knows how long it took him to drop those runners off. We were (semi) joking with a few people as we got off that they should get off and take an uber. Hope they all made it without too much of a delay. It was a much quicker ride for us than usual, but stressful.
--This was our first time trying Runner's Square, and I have to admit (I know it gets dissed) that I liked it and would do it again. The food was exactly what I wanted (I had a bagel with peanut butter and a banana; loved the odwallas and chocolate milk after), and it was great to have bathrooms without ridiculous lines and a nice place to sit and relax before the race. We also took advantage of the photographer. I was bummed there weren't characters--I thought that was part of it--but when I asked one of the workers said that was last year. There was one of the army green guys around though and he was funny. I had to do jumping jacks :) They did a walk out at 4:15 and 5. We opted to wait with most people until 5. For us that was the only negative of the experience. As we were in corral F, we walked *way* out of our way to get to our corral. I had over 2 miles in before we even reached our corral after the walk from epcot and the long walk back due to following the Runner's Square crowd.
--There was a huge bottleneck at corral F to get people in the corral as everyone had to pass through a very small opening to check bibs. I don't remember having this issue before, but that could be due to the time I was coming out. We are usually in the corral much earlier.
--I'm signed up for Star Wars in April, but after that I'm going to reevaluate my Disney races going forward. It's so much more of a hassle flying across country for WDW races, I really wish they'd bring back the DLR races, but that horse seems to have left the barn :(

I wanted to come back and see which predictions came true:
SAFD - My Predictions:
* I will be too excited to sleep well multiple days this week YUP
* I will spectate the mid-to-back of pack runners at Epcot for the Half, including my sister (dressed as Vampirina!) YES!
* Even with the heat, I'm going to enjoy the Marathon. I will [mostly] fight back the competitive side of my brain to focus on the fun I don’t know if “enjoy” is the right word...but I definitely made the best of things and I’m happy with my race overall. Because of the heat and just never knowing how my body is going to show up on race day, I had set some non-time goals such as 10+ photo stops. I ended up achieving both that and my secret time goal - so a great race for me.
* I will meet some new friends on the course Sort of. I didn’t make the meets, but tried to encourage runners along the way.
* Some runner throwing water on themselves will accidentally hit me with it (wouldn't be the first time) False
* I will take candy from strangers Swedish fish!!
* I'll see my family spectating at the Studios, and my daughter will complain she's too hot waiting there Half true. Saw the fam, daughter shockingly did not complain (in the one minute I saw her)
* I will tear up more than once spectating and during my own race TRUE for spectating, but not my own race.
* I will celebrate by eating ALL.THE.TREATS (starting on Monday) I’m just getting started :)
* I will wear my medal with pride, and wear it on Rise of the Resistance on Tuesday! Oops! I didn’t wear my medal today. But I did wear it on Sunday and Monday, and we rode RotR today!
Were the Swedish Fish at mile 24? If so that was me and my husband and @Dis_Yoda

Just completed my first runDisney event. And would just like to thank everyone in this forum for all the valuable information that I've gotten throughout the Marathon weekend.

So....I see a lot of runners proudly wearing their medals after (Theme Parks, Disney Springs, etc.) .... is this a thing for all runDisney events?

This group/board has been helpful in planning out another successful 1/2 Marathon and 10K for my family. Here are some of my random thoughts on the weekend.
- Really had a great time on the 1/2 course... But the humidity really did slow me down a bit. Haha
- Always appreciate how kind and friendly so many of the runners are. Makes me want to be a better cheerleader for them too.
- I was impressed with the number of characters they had on the 1/2 course and wish I could have stopped for more... But I try and just use character stops as breaks when I'm tired so I ran by plenty of great ones.
-Maybe I'm just forgetting how crazy it gets, but the traffic and crowds seemed even more crazy this year. I couldn't believe all the cars backed up.
- And I'm guessing they had the same number of Water stops as in the past, but this year I appreciated them a lot more.
- Waking up early for races and making it on time to Hollywood Studios to get a boarding pass for Rise of the Resistance is not an easy task. (Especially when they have the park opening at 7 every day.) But we still made it work.

Once again, thanks for all the planning tips and input.
I was running with a camera strapped to my head, so if anyone wants to relive parts of the 1/2, or if anyone is thinking about running it next year you can get an idea of what the course is like:

Congrats to all the marathoners who made it through what sounds like a horribly hot and humid morning complicated by transportation issues and race delays. I did the last half in Anaheim (9/2017) when we had record heat and a red flag warning, and it was not fun--especially for those of us in the later corrals.

--I did the half on Saturday, and was very underwhelmed by the course. It was my tenth Disney Half (3 at DLR and 7 at WDW) in last three years and for me this was the worst course of the bunch. It seemed as if there was very little front of the park time. Couldn't have been more than a couple miles through the parks? The course also felt as if it had a lot more bottlenecks and tight places, but that could have been because it seemed more crowded than normal.
--super frustrating at the castle when everyone stopped to take selfies in a solid long line that literally blocked the rest of the course and we all came to a complete standstill. People around me were yelling, etc. and they finally moved. Seriously people.
--Character lines seemed longer than normal for us when we came through in F so no stopping for any pics :(
--The monorail from BLT went super smooth in the morning. Really great option especially given our bus ride back.
--We did Runners Square (more on that later) so we stopped by after the race to pick up our gift. As the tent was literally right next to the bus for BLT (third stop) we opted not to walk the long distance back to Epcot. I hate the buses, and we narrowly escaped disaster. Our bus driver was clueless; it had to have been his first run. After dropping off at Wilderness Lodge he took the wrong road after the parking lot even though it literally had construction/no access on it. He came to a point with a sign that warned construction ahead do not enter. I was in the front and could see him debating in his mind whether to continue because he was kind of stuck. Most people weren't paying attention until that point. I was about ready to say something if he went forward, but fortunately, he decided to back up the bus until he could find a place to turn around. Not knowing where he was going, he decided to drop off us at BLT before going to Fort Wilderness. God knows how long it took him to drop those runners off. We were (semi) joking with a few people as we got off that they should get off and take an uber. Hope they all made it without too much of a delay. It was a much quicker ride for us than usual, but stressful.
--This was our first time trying Runner's Square, and I have to admit (I know it gets dissed) that I liked it and would do it again. The food was exactly what I wanted (I had a bagel with peanut butter and a banana; loved the odwallas and chocolate milk after), and it was great to have bathrooms without ridiculous lines and a nice place to sit and relax before the race. We also took advantage of the photographer. I was bummed there weren't characters--I thought that was part of it--but when I asked one of the workers said that was last year. There was one of the army green guys around though and he was funny. I had to do jumping jacks :) They did a walk out at 4:15 and 5. We opted to wait with most people until 5. For us that was the only negative of the experience. As we were in corral F, we walked *way* out of our way to get to our corral. I had over 2 miles in before we even reached our corral after the walk from epcot and the long walk back due to following the Runner's Square crowd.
--There was a huge bottleneck at corral F to get people in the corral as everyone had to pass through a very small opening to check bibs. I don't remember having this issue before, but that could be due to the time I was coming out. We are usually in the corral much earlier.
--I'm signed up for Star Wars in April, but after that I'm going to reevaluate my Disney races going forward. It's so much more of a hassle flying across country for WDW races, I really wish they'd bring back the DLR races, but that horse seems to have left the barn :(

So funny that you posted because I was just thinking about going on to ask what others thought of the Half course.

To the rest of the folks here, @CaliforniaGirl09 and I did the Half together, along with her DD20. I've now done 9 runDisney half marathons (4 at DL and 5 at WDW) and totally agree this was the worst course I have experienced (also worse than the two half marathons I have done in Idaho where I live). I was joking afterward that we should hashtag it #Sh*ttiestRunDisneyCourseEver. The lack of park time was my biggest complaint, but the bottlenecks were so much worse than in past races. But, seriously, 2 miles (at most!) out of 13.1 actually in the parks? I didn't pay a premium for tarmac, lol!

Agree with @CaliforniaGirl09 that Runners Square turned out to be great for us, and I would definitely do it again. There was even a toaster for our bagels :) Taking into account the food, beverages, easy restroom access and ample seating (even cushioned seating), it was worth the price of entry in my opinion. The gift we received afterward was a runDisney workout towel, and we also got a Runners Square Rice Krispies treat. As CaliforniaGirl mentioned, there was chocolate milk and Odwalla smoothies after the race (along with water and coffee), and a bar had been set up, but that appeared to be a cash bar and not free.

I do love the Half medal (maybe my favorite out of all my runDisney race medals, which includes some challenge medals) and the weekend as a whole was super fun (we even checked Rise of the Resistance off the list!), but I'm in the same place as CaliforniaGirl. I'm signed up for Rival Run, but that is likely my last runDisney race until maybe 2021 Wine & Dine, unless runDisney brings back the DL races. They are a lot easier for me to get to, and the 4 courses I did there were just so much better than the WDW half marathon courses I have experienced....The other thing I'm seriously thinking about is dropping down to 10Ks at WDW. We did the Two Course Challenge at 2018 Wine & Dine, and I really liked the 10K course with the full circuit of the World Showcase in Epcot.

Anyone have a men’s half marathon shirt size MEDIUM they would be willing to sell/trade me? The large was too big. Thanks!

Just got back from WDW and did the half marathon on Saturday. It was my first RunDisney event. Overall I had an absolute blast. I had no idea what to expect and loved it. I was in corral A. I chose to stand in the back of the corral and I am glad I did. The people in the front half or so were cooking. Really did have a good time. I am now trying to talk my wife into doing Dopey next year. Hopefully we can make it work out and do it.

Last edited:
Still sleepy this morning!

Dopey #2 notes:

-I was much more nervous this year
-Race transportation to and from AKL was perfect! We had no issues whatsoever
-Half course was my least favorite, as always
-The course shortening at BB caused that group to merge in with us and we were bottlenecked for the last 4 miles. It was AWFUL.
-Full course- I'm glad MK was later. Wish it had started at 5:00. I can't imagine how many people hopped over the cones in the out and backs. That HEAT- glad everyone is ok!!
-I do not do well with a running partner. Mine wanted to walk starting at mile 18 and could not run at all. I felt great and wanted to push through but felt guilty leaving her. SO, my time ended up being much worse from where I could have finished. Disappointing but I'm dealing with it.
-I'm ok with my decision to take a break from runDisney. It's the reason I started running but I'm ready to face some bigger challenges
-I still cried at the marathon finish line. I actually started at the Boardwalk and couldn't stop. I saw the Parkinson's group and my mom was diagnosed last year. I'm so grateful that I'm able to run and the amount of people that were there that day, pushing it hard and not giving up, was enough to still make me tear up today.

And now I'm off to find my next race! I've loved following you all on your journey this year

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter