Marathon Weekend 2020

You could take a bus to Saratoga Springs, and then walk over. 🤷‍♀️
Yeah, that's an option, though I do plan on taking the half easy and having any kind of walk after a bus ride might make me late. I can also just Uber or Minnie Van. Also we will have a rental car so DH can pick me up. Or I can just make an ADR for Kona and take the monorail there instead :) We are going to sit on that Homecomin ADR and a Kona ADR for a while and then decide which one to cancel at a later time.

Yeah, that's an option, though I do plan on taking the half easy and having any kind of walk after a bus ride might make me late. I can also just Uber or Minnie Van. Also we will have a rental car so DH can pick me up. Or I can just make an ADR for Kona and take the monorail there instead :) We are going to sit on that Homecomin ADR and a Kona ADR for a while and then decide which one to cancel at a later time.
Not to help your decision but I had Homecomin brunch last week and it was great!

SAFD:
I’m training for a marathon in mid-October. Training started at the beginning of June. It’s been a little rough with the heat and humidity. I’m not doing great at hitting my adjusted paces, but I do feel like heat slows me down more than some. It’s hard to tell at this point if I lost too much fitness after my PR marathon in March (and all the easy marathons after that) or if it really is the heat/humidity sucking all the energy out of me. I was able to hit my paces this morning, and I think the effort felt about right. So maybe I’m okay.
After the October marathon, I have MCM 50k two weeks later, then W&D 5k and Half, then I will merge into an old @DopeyBadger plan that has my mid-November marathon in it as it builds to Dopey. :)

SAFD: Well, I am not training for anything now.....but it would appear that I have somehow made a hotel reservation for marathon weekend and so I guess I better sign up for a race. I'm thinking marathon, but only if I can hook up with the fun group and do the kind of race that everyone says you should do at Disney. (That would be a first--I tend to be pretty self-competitive)

SAFD: I’m currently running through a training program to make sure I’m ready to hit Space Coast training hard starting in mid-August. The training has been going pretty well, but it’s been hard getting back up to HM tempo paces after 9 months of essentially no tempo running at all. Couple that with T+Ds that have been consistently in the 150s and recently shot into the 160s, it’s been a tough summer so far. Here’s hoping it all pays off come early December. After that, it’ll just be a matter of bridging over to Dopey for MW.

SAFD: Training for the marathon and it started last week. Two weeks through the training plan thus far and things to progress well. Treating the marathon as if it is an Ironman event. So the last two weeks were about 3.25 hours of running, 5 hours of indoor biking, and 2.5 hours of strength work each. No where to go but up from here. Had a PT appointment and determined that a lower back injury was the likely culprit of my continued glute issues. So I'm working on some exercises and things to continue to progress. After some time off from running and biking the fitness is still slow to return. But still 27 weeks away before I've got to worry about the fitness side of things. I'm determined as ever to make this sub-3 happen.

SAFD: Already have several races scheduled: 5k trail run at Table Rock mountain in August (I'm always ready for a 5k!), two more legs of Atlanta's Triple Peach - 10 miler in October and the Thanksgiving half, Wine and Dine races in early November, Goofy in January, and Star Wars races in April.
I'm able to slack a little from now through the end of August in the worst of the heat (weekend long runs of 6-7 miles for a while). Then I'll gear up a little before the 10 miler, progress a little more before W&D races, and get up to 20-22 miles in December for Goofy (with the Thanksgiving race being mostly a training day).

Good morning, runDisney all-stars! We are 177 days from Marathon Weekend 2020!

I hope everyone who elected to get ADRs this week was successful in their pursuit of dining options. Now, onto Sundays are for Disney ... training check-in!

I've seen on Instagram that some folks have begun training for marathon weekend and I know others are training for upcoming events, as well. So, what are you training for? How is it going? Who wants to brag? Who needs some words of encouragement?

I'm two weeks into training for Lakefront Marathon in Milwaukee, which is October 6. The training is going fine; no big successes nor big concerns. Like many of you, the heat is kicking my butt a bit, but I'm trying to remind myself it was -50 here earlier this year and just be grateful I can run outside at all.

I hope you're all staying injury-free.

Have a great week, everyone!
Some friends gave me a vivoactive3 to play around with, so I am trying the garmin adaptive training plans for Crawling Crab in early October. DS already has a POT that should put him in A corral for the MW half so I need to try and get a fast enough POT so that he won't have to move back corral(s). I am really curious to see how much they actually adapt over the course of the training cycle. So far they haven't seemed to take heat and humidity into account which has created some issues with the paces it's trying to get me to hit on progression runs. I also find that the measurements aren't quite accurate enough for the speed workouts. Dopeybadger's suggestions of using time for segments with a known physical distance work a lot better. It's frustrating though as the watch basis it's measurement of my progress on what it measures which isn't really accurate, particularly when jumping back and forth between really short fast run intervals and rest intervals.

For a brag, I guess, I hit a low point for weight back in April at 248. It wouldn’t budge for weeks and it was really stressing me out and making me irritable on top of usual chef stress, so I took a break, stopped tracking my food, and put a few pounds back on. The past few weeks I switched calorie trackers and finally hit a new low of 247, so it looks like I am going back down towards my goal of 205.
Congrats on the weight loss. I had been making progress, but I've platued and need to start watching my diet a little more.

I've seen on Instagram that some folks have begun training for marathon weekend and I know others are training for upcoming events, as well. So, what are you training for? How is it going? Who wants to brag? Who needs some words of encouragement?

Chicago Marathon is just 13 weeks away and it’s my Six Star World Marathon Majors race. Then I’ll work with my coach to bridge me into dopey and then London Marathon (I’m going back to reclaim my honor).

Training is going well - I’ve graduated from 30:30 intervals to 4/1! Coach is working on getting me to 5/1 on race day and I am excited to see how well I perform. The heat is killing me as well as some personal job dissatisfaction stuff too.

I guess i could just use some encouragement of keeping the momentum of pushing forward in training and to not let the job stuff carry over into my training. I feel good at the moment but then I get depressed when I go back to the office and the toxicity sets in. :(

Some friends gave me a vivoactive3 to play around with, so I am trying the garmin adaptive training plans for Crawling Crab in early October. DS already has a POT that should put him in A corral for the MW half so I need to try and get a fast enough POT so that he won't have to move back corral(s). I am really curious to see how much they actually adapt over the course of the training cycle. So far they haven't seemed to take heat and humidity into account which has created some issues with the paces it's trying to get me to hit on progression runs. I also find that the measurements aren't quite accurate enough for the speed workouts. Dopeybadger's suggestions of using time for segments with a known physical distance work a lot better. It's frustrating though as the watch basis it's measurement of my progress on what it measures which isn't really accurate, particularly when jumping back and forth between really short fast run intervals and rest intervals.

I'll be interested to hear how the adaptive training plan goes and whether you start to see some shifting. What kind of speed workouts is it having you do?

I'll be interested to hear how the adaptive training plan goes and whether you start to see some shifting. What kind of speed workouts is it having you do?
Right now I can only see about a week out in the training plan. Week 1 had a short set of 8 intervals at 180-200 steps per minute.
Week 2 had a speed repeats of 6x1 minute at 6:20 pace and 6X30 sec at 5:20 pace. (Garmin seems to do pace at a rolling 5 second average so the 30 second intervals were a pain to track)
and it had a progression run with 20 min at an 8:30 pace followed by 10 min at a 6:30 pace. ( I struggled with the harder 10 minutes fluctuating between 6:45 and 7:05 pace)
Next week I have 30 minutes at a 7:20 pace and intervals based on SPM again. I don't know if that adjusted based on my failure to meet pace on the progression run.

Started my half training this week. I'm signed up for a local half in November then I will work on increasing speed for the half! I have the virtual 5k's to keep up with and a signed up for a new local 5k race that's over our bridges. Our area just had a new bridge built on an otherwise flat area so the challenge sounded fun!

I need to make an appointment for my back seems my pinched nerve doesn't like running as much as it use too. So I'll get some dry needling and traction therapy and be good to go soon.

Chicago Marathon is just 13 weeks away and it’s my Six Star World Marathon Majors race. Then I’ll work with my coach to bridge me into dopey and then London Marathon (I’m going back to reclaim my honor).

Training is going well - I’ve graduated from 30:30 intervals to 4/1! Coach is working on getting me to 5/1 on race day and I am excited to see how well I perform. The heat is killing me as well as some personal job dissatisfaction stuff too.

I guess i could just use some encouragement of keeping the momentum of pushing forward in training and to not let the job stuff carry over into my training. I feel good at the moment but then I get depressed when I go back to the office and the toxicity sets in. :(
Great job on your intervals! During my first half marathon (Wine & Dine 2013) I ran 1:1 min intervals. Over the years I have increased my running interval and now take a 1 min walk break for each mile run (sometimes shorter if I’m running a 15k or 10k for time). During last January’s marathon (my first) I ran 5 min:30 sec intervals (well, until I got really hot and tired towards the end...anyway...) That will be my plan again for next year’s marathon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter