Marathon Weekend 2020

You are right about CJ100. I am disappointed to report that it chewed me up and spit me out. Had to drop at mile 31 due to dehydration and GI issues. Grueling is an understatement. I will be having nightmares about the Dragon's Spine for a while! :(

Am sorry to hear that. It was the first really hot weekend here so the weather did not help you at all.

Personally I’m psyched about Minnie, I feel like it’s a “promotion” to be moved to the marathon. Makes me more likely to sign up. Replacing Minnie with Daisy would be WAY better than replacing her with Oswald in my opinion. I agree with others who said Oswald was a refreshing change for the 5k once but that’s about it. Reminds me of Mean Girls: STOP TRYING TO MAKE OSWALD HAPPEN!!

SAFD: Never getting a tattoo. Although now I have the Weird Al song Another Tattoo playing in my head after seeing @Dis_Yoda post pictures of her husband's Boba Feet tattoo. "Check out this rad Boba Fest. He's playing clarinet."

Sorry if this has already been asked; my wife and I are running the half marathon in January. We are interested in what the best resorts to stay at for marathon weekend? For background purposes, my wife is the runner, I am not so this will be a difficult ordeal for me train for. Also, i am signed up to run with the American Cancer Society team, as i am currently going through chemotherapy for stage 4 esophageal cancer (diagnosed in November 2018, spread to liver and pancreas); all tumors are shrinking drastically up to this point. Thank you in advance for the advice.
Best of luck in chemo. Very inspiring.

For race weekends, I have stayed at All Star Sports, Port Orleans Riverside and French Quarter (twice). I'm staying at All Star Movies in January for marathon weekend before heading back to French Quarter for Star Wars Rival Run next April. Of the ones I have stayed at, my preference for race weekend is absolutely French Quarter because of its compact feel and proximity to Epcot.

Depends on what you are looking for and budget. Really all of the resorts are good options for marathon weekend.
This is absolutely true. While I certainly have my preference for what I like, I would not hesitate to stay at a value again if that's what worked for me.

Minnie gets ousted and doesn’t even get her own race.
I can see where this really disappoints people. If only because they put Minnie on the marathon medal, I'm okay with it.

As a side note, I like the Olympic wreath on Mickey's head. That's kind of a fun running touch in my opinion.

It’s kind of strange that the 10K has all four parks on it.
I saw that. Maybe it was a mistake that will get fixed. Didn't this year's 10K only go through Epcot?

Chip and Dale (wouldn’t that be nuts) both pop to mind.
Those two were my hope. I talked myself into Dopey over Goofy just in case they gave Chip and Dale a medal in 2020. I knew it may not happen though so I can't be upset about Chip and Dale not being on the 10K medal just because I wanted it.

I understand his history and I’m prepared for the backlash.

Oswald does nothing for me. I don’t understand retrofitting him into these race themes. The lack of continuity bothers me and it feels entirely forced and unnecessary.
I was happy for the Oswald 5K medal last year because of that whole story and everything, but I also agree that he doesn't really fit with the other characters they're using here. If the company wants to make Oswald popular, it might happen if they start by making new Oswald shorts.

It was a nice novelty thing for the 5K last year but now its definitely forced by making him the 10K.
At least for me, I'm excited that Pluto is back for the 5K because I will now have a Pluto medal, which should be fun.

And now I’m amusing myself by picturing a Chip & Dale theme called “You’re Nuts” which is Dopey plus any of the resorts fun run 3Ks. LMAO.
I would so sign up for that. As it is, I bought the Chip and Dale "I run with a chip on my shoulder" tech shirt at marathon weekend because Chip and Dale.

Any other cynics here think they released the themes this early to boost registration numbers? No, just me? ;)
If the reason was to stir up excitement and most of the reaction here has been less than excited, it might have backfired. It will be interesting to see the reaction. It would have been much worse if they had taken Minnie out of marathon weekend altogether. At least we know that the marathon weekend medal should be quite different.

I was in line for Space Mountain at Tokyo Disneyland earlier when I saw the race themes come out and whooped out loud in line -- I LOVE OSWALD and I missed out on the 5K last year so I am THRILLED to have him back! I also love Mickey and Minnie in tandem for my first full. No complaints from me for my first WDW Marathon Weekend!

Regarding race theme, I told DD that I had a good news and a bad news. She chose to hear the later first: Her first 10k theme will be Oswald, not Minnie... « Who is Oswald? » was her answer... You know that rabbit in the Epic game... Meh.

And Pluto is the theme for the 5k. «Great! I love Pluto even more than Minnie. I still want to run one race dressed as her. »

With seven months to digest that news, we will be ok o_O

ETA: For myself, I would have preferred a consistent one medal for each of the Fab Five for my first Dopey but it could have been worst. At least they should all be represented.

EATA: Am I the only one who thinks that runDisney might have wanted to balance MW with Princess by putting only male figures (except for a co-host who is Mickey’s life partner) as theme?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter