Marathon Weekend 2020

No tattoos for me. I appreciate them on others, but honestly, when (if) I'm a saggy old 80 year old, I really wouldn't want to see how they looked! I've seen it happen on some women at the gym....it ain't pretty!

My mom asked me how I’d feel about my tattoos when I’m in a nursing home and I said, “I’ll feel like the coolest guy there.”

Ink isn’t for everyone and I certainly wouldn’t fault anyone for not getting a tattoo. That stuff is permanent. Just like other choices we make about our appearances, there are good and bad examples. I have and enjoy tattoos that are deeply personal and/or extremely artistic.

I have two, but neither is Disney or running related (a gecko and a Celtic knot). Have talked about getting another for over 20 years now, but even if I do, it probably wouldn't be running or Disney related.

My mom asked me how I’d feel about my tattoos when I’m in a nursing home and I said, “I’ll feel like the coolest guy there.”

Ink isn’t for everyone and I certainly wouldn’t fault anyone for not getting a tattoo. That stuff is permanent. Just like other choices we make about our appearances, there are good and bad examples. I have and enjoy tattoos that are deeply personal and/or extremely artistic.

Whenever I’ve considered that question I think to myself that I’ll just be glad to have skin at that point. I’ve also never admired the skin of someone in a nursing home, tattoos or not. (ETA: this was not meant to be mean spirited, just emphasizing that it’s not really a subject many people actually think about)

Last edited:

I don't have tattoos. I've just never had the desire to get them and while it would probably be Disney themed if I did, I'd have too hard of a time picking what to have done. There was a woman I used to work with that had tattoos and I never really paid attention to them until one day I took a look and noticed that they were all Disney themed. So she was impressed that I could name every movie that she'd had a tattoo from.

Add me to the list of tattoo avoiders. They are just too permanent for my comfort. Tastes change and evolve and I don’t see myself committing to that kind of permanence. Plus I’ve watched DD25 (DD18 then) make an epically, epically bad tattoo choice that is equal parts stupid, hilarious and cringe-worthy.

Just wanted to humbly brag on my new 10miler POT for WDW Marathon 2020.
A few weeks ago I posted about missing a cutoff by 1 min 30 secs- I opted to spend $100 on another chance.
Today I not only made my POT time- by 10 minutes from 3 weeks ago- but went from a personal worst to a personal best! Yay!

And then I casually mentioned on the way home to my DH, that now I had a POT that would be good through Spring 2021 Run Disney races...
He just rolled his eyes!

No tattoos here- commitment issues for something that permanent! But Love seeing others!

No tattoos here. I have thought about running ones, Disney ones, ones related to my kids, ones related to travel, etc. I just haven't wanted to permanently put something on my body that badly.

Add me to the list of tattoo avoiders. They are just too permanent for my comfort. Tastes change and evolve and I don’t see myself committing to that kind of permanence. Plus I’ve watched DD25 (DD18 then) make an epically, epically bad tattoo choice that is equal parts stupid, hilarious and cringe-worthy.

Please tell us what it is.

Sorry if this has already been asked; my wife and I are running the half marathon in January. We are interested in what the best resorts to stay at for marathon weekend? For background purposes, my wife is the runner, I am not so this will be a difficult ordeal for me train for. Also, i am signed up to run with the American Cancer Society team, as i am currently going through chemotherapy for stage 4 esophageal cancer (diagnosed in November 2018, spread to liver and pancreas); all tumors are shrinking drastically up to this point. Thank you in advance for the advice.

Sorry if this has already been asked; my wife and I are running the half marathon in January. We are interested in what the best resorts to stay at for marathon weekend? For background purposes, my wife is the runner, I am not so this will be a difficult ordeal for me train for. Also, i am signed up to run with the American Cancer Society team, as i am currently going through chemotherapy for stage 4 esophageal cancer (diagnosed in November 2018, spread to liver and pancreas); all tumors are shrinking drastically up to this point. Thank you in advance for the advice.
Depends on what you are looking for and budget. Really all of the resorts are good options for marathon weekend.

Please tell us what it is.

DD went off to college at 17 and, apparently, couldn't wait to turn 18 as a freshman so that she could go to the local tattoo parlor. Now, I'm not opposed to tattooing, it's just not my gig. I would have hoped that she would have gotten something discrete and tasteful to test the waters out before committing to anything extensive. Her selection, however, was to have the phrase "For the Horde" tattooed in very large bright red text on her lower back. So large, it took two lines of text. For the non-gamers out there, it's a reference to one of the factions in the World of Warcraft MMORPG that was popular (apparently very popular with DD) at the time. So, for those scoring at home:

Discrete: Maybe? At least the lower back is not routinely visible. I'm still going with nope due to sheer size.
Tasteful: Nope
Extensive: Oh, my, yes.
Bonus points (demerits): Referencing a video game that most likely will be defunct before she's 30? Check.

If only the questionable judgement with tattoos ended there. DD had a rough time with college and ended up dropping out and working for Starbucks as a barista. She's been using their continuing education program to pursue her degree online (yay!). Last year, though, we took her out for her birthday and she told us that it was time to move on from Starbucks and that she was looking for a new job. The weekend after that dinner she went out and got a large tattoo of the Starbucks mermaid that covers her entire upper arm. How's that for corporate, @FFigawi? Why on earth would you tattoo yourself for a company? Much less one that you were looking to leave? She said it was to "celebrate all that Starbucks had done for her". Permanently. Sigh...

SAFD: No running tattoos here. I have one tattoo on my ankle that I got at age 19... the pain was excruciating. I love the idea of having more, but can't bear the thought of being in that much pain again. I have a very high tolerance for internal pain, but surface pain puts me over the edge for some reason!

All of the resorts are good for the races. We like to choose a deluxe resort simply because we don't do a lot of park time on race weekend and like to have a nice pool, hot tub, lounge areas, and good restaurants without having to leave our resort. But that's just my two cents!

And best of luck in your training and chemo! I spent a few years working for the American Cancer Society and I'm so glad to see you giving back to them. I hope your numbers keep getting better and you and your wife can enjoy Marathon weekend!

Good luck with the race and with treatment!

The weekend after that dinner she went out and got a large tattoo of the Starbucks mermaid that covers her entire upper arm. How's that for corporate, @FFigawi? Why on earth would you tattoo yourself for a company? Much less one that you were looking to leave? She said it was to "celebrate all that Starbucks had done for her". Permanently. Sigh...

Yikes!! :sad2:

SAFD: No running tattoos here. I have one tattoo on my ankle that I got at age 19... the pain was excruciating. I love the idea of having more, but can't bear the thought of being in that much pain again. I have a very high tolerance for internal pain, but surface pain puts me over the edge for some reason!
Lidocaine cream about an hour prior to tattooing helps a ton per my husband.

Last edited:
DD went off to college at 17 and, apparently, couldn't wait to turn 18 as a freshman so that she could go to the local tattoo parlor. Now, I'm not opposed to tattooing, it's just not my gig. I would have hoped that she would have gotten something discrete and tasteful to test the waters out before committing to anything extensive. Her selection, however, was to have the phrase "For the Horde" tattooed in very large bright red text on her lower back. So large, it took two lines of text. For the non-gamers out there, it's a reference to one of the factions in the World of Warcraft MMORPG that was popular (apparently very popular with DD) at the time. So, for those scoring at home:

Discrete: Maybe? At least the lower back is not routinely visible. I'm still going with nope due to sheer size.
Tasteful: Nope
Extensive: Oh, my, yes.
Bonus points (demerits): Referencing a video game that most likely will be defunct before she's 30? Check.

If only the questionable judgement with tattoos ended there. DD had a rough time with college and ended up dropping out and working for Starbucks as a barista. She's been using their continuing education program to pursue her degree online (yay!). Last year, though, we took her out for her birthday and she told us that it was time to move on from Starbucks and that she was looking for a new job. The weekend after that dinner she went out and got a large tattoo of the Starbucks mermaid that covers her entire upper arm. How's that for corporate, @FFigawi? Why on earth would you tattoo yourself for a company? Much less one that you were looking to leave? She said it was to "celebrate all that Starbucks had done for her". Permanently. Sigh...

As with others, your initial post had me curious. My skepticism toward your claims proved to be unfounded as your analysis was spot on.

Wow. Okay. Well I guess I am in the minority here. But I just want to state that I really don't care about what anyone thinks of my tattoos and I REALLY think you should hold your judgement on what they will look like when I am older. You're just being rude and it's uncalled for.

I have a lot of tattoos. None are Disney or running related, but mainly because I haven't really come up with anything I like yet.

Last edited:
I have two tattoos at the moment, neither of them are Disney or running related. But I'm getting my next one at the end of June (waiting so long just because of the artist's schedule). I've had the consultation with the artist already and I'm pretty excited. It's going to be a phoenix with a henna inspired design. There will be a 26.2 incorporated into the henna design.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter