It’s really sad something that is so inextricably tied to and iconic to WDW has fallen into such a state of disrepair. Even without these terrifying safety lapses, the vehicles are not kept in the type of condition they and the patrons of Disney deserve. I hope that the new gondola system ends up being cool (probable, although not temperature-wise) and efficient :rolleyes2, but I would have rather they spent all that money updating the monorail.

It’s really sad something that is so inextricably tied to and iconic to WDW has fallen into such a state of disrepair. Even without these terrifying safety lapses, the vehicles are not kept in the type of condition they and the patrons of Disney deserve. I hope that the new gondola system ends up being cool (probable, although not temperature-wise) and efficient :rolleyes2, but I would have rather they spent all that money updating the monorail.

I think I heard either a rumor or maybe something official about the monorails a few months back that the plan was to replace the fleet by 2020. Maybe @rteetz can confirm if I am in the ballpark with that one.

I think I heard either a rumor or maybe something official about the monorails a few months back that the plan was to replace the fleet by 2020. Maybe @rteetz can confirm if I am in the ballpark with that one.
2021 was the original plan. Bombardier isn’t exactly a reliable company to work with though and More often than not their projects get delayed.

I would like to point out that this was guest provoked in that an ECV went through the door. So the door didn’t just fall off on its own.

Also on the Skyliner, AC in gondolas are quite rare and often don’t work well because they need a major power source. Many climates as bad or worse than Florida have them without AC so we will be just fine.

I'm waffling on my Sunday selections already (and no fair, saying I need to change my plans to run the marathon!)

For anyone who is a vet of being at the parks the morning of the marathon but not running them. What do you think is a better plan? My only interest is HS is to see ToyStoryLand.

A)
MK rope drop
monorail to Epcot for second part of the day (dinner booked there)
EMH at HS

B)
HS rope drop
monorail to Epcot for second part of day (dinner booked there)

I'm starting to lean towards plan A now.

It would depend upon where I was staying. If you are staying at an MK resort then A is great, otherwise you may have some marathon traffic issues getting there.

I would like to point out that this was guest provoked in that an ECV went through the door. So the door didn’t just fall off on its own.

Also on the Skyliner, AC in gondolas are quite rare and often don’t work well because they need a major power source. Many climates as bad or worse than Florida have them without AC so we will be just fine.

I’d heard the same thing about replacing the monorail. I hope it comes to fruition regardless of what the time frame ends up being. My feelings about the monorail system weren’t particularly tied to this incident; more to a general lack of magic in their overall aesthetic in my own personal experience on them. I prefer the smell and general cleanliness of the buses to them and that shouldn’t be the case.

I think the Skyliner will be a nice addition. My only skepticism is really about the functionality and just how much pressure it will actually remove from other modes of transportation. I’m in favor of anything that they add to improve the guest experience; I’m just hoping it’s an efficient use of resources.

I think the Skyliner will be a nice addition. My only skepticism is really about the functionality and just how much pressure it will actually remove from other modes of transportation. I’m in favor of anything that they add to improve the guest experience; I’m just hoping it’s an efficient use of resources.

As far as resources go, it will definitely require less staffing than bus transportation - and essentially less qualified staffing, since it will probably be treated the same as a omnimover attraction.

As someone who rides the NYC subway pretty regularly, I'm all for less Bombardier.
Although I'm hesitant about the skyliner because I dont like heights. But as long as theres alternate transportation for people like me, I'm all for it.

It would depend upon where I was staying. If you are staying at an MK resort then A is great, otherwise you may have some marathon traffic issues getting there.

Art of animation. So taking a bus. Think it'll be super trafficy either way HS or MK in morning?
I was spoiled the year we stayed at BLT by the contemporary. Walking to MK was sweet, just had to wait for a break in runners but fun to cheer for everyone too.

I’d heard the same thing about replacing the monorail. I hope it comes to fruition regardless of what the time frame ends up being. My feelings about the monorail system weren’t particularly tied to this incident; more to a general lack of magic in their overall aesthetic in my own personal experience on them. I prefer the smell and general cleanliness of the buses to them and that shouldn’t be the case.

My sources have said monorails are coming.

The Skyliner will be way more efficient than a monorail or bus. Other than maybe a people mover you can't get more efficient.

Art of animation. So taking a bus. Think it'll be super trafficy either way HS or MK in morning?
I was spoiled the year we stayed at BLT by the contemporary. Walking to MK was sweet, just had to wait for a break in runners but fun to cheer for everyone too.

This probably won’t apply if you’re just going for rope drop, but I had a BOG PPO breakfast the morning of this year’s marathon. We stayed at Pop. The bus dropped us off at TTC, which I was not expecting. This was my first experience w/ marathon weekend, and it hadn’t occurred to me that runners would still be coming through MK at that time.

I don’t remember what time we got on the bus or dropped off at TTC, but at 7:52am we were cheering for the runners as we walked down Main St.

I think all of the cones were gone by the time we came out of BOG (sometime between 8:30-8:40am), so the buses may be dropping off at the MK bus area by then.

Queue the "you run better than the monorail" signs for marathon weekend.

https://wdwnt.com/2018/11/breaking-...sney-world-causing-multi-hour-service-delays/

Yikes! That is insane, but I can envision my MIL doing that. She is always putting her ECV on the fastest speed even though I always move it back to slowest. Well, last December she had put it back on the fastest speed again to back up off the monorail. She backed up fast and didn't back up straight so both back wheels ended up off the side of the ramp and she almost fell off the ECV. Think she learned her lesson? Nope. She did it again and almost took out the cast member helping to guide her off.

Yikes! That is insane, but I can envision my MIL doing that. She is always putting her ECV on the fastest speed even though I always move it back to slowest. Well, last December she had put it back on the fastest speed again to back up off the monorail. She backed up fast and didn't back up straight so both back wheels ended up off the side of the ramp and she almost fell off the ECV. Think she learned her lesson? Nope. She did it again and almost took out the cast member helping to guide her off.

:eek::eek::eek:

Stories like this are exactly why I pushed my mom in a wheelchair with her broken foot. I was afraid she'd take out a small child. LOL. The scooter would have been SO much easier though. Those dang railroad tracks on Main Street about took us both out multiple times.

My dad is having some heart problems and we just cannot convince him to let us push him around in a wheelchair, so he stays home. :( I think when Star Wars opens he will finally let us do it but I bet he will want a dang EVC and I just don't want to be one of these horror stories. Hahaha. Sorry, pops.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!