Marathon Weekend 2018

Our cars trunks don't have metal in them so when I get them I put it on the refrigerator.

As far as the medals. Most of them are hung up on racks but I'm out of room right now (need to get new racks up) so they're kind of laying around right now.

I don't put race magnets on my car anymore. I had the mini Mickey head distance magnets from when I did Dopey in 2014 on the car and all 6 of them were stolen. :furious: Now all I have on my car are generic distance ones and my AP magnet. My medals are hanging in my basement to serve as motivation for when I have to run on the treadmill. Now that I'm retired, I wear the race shirts frequently. :cloud9:

I love seeing everyone's medal hangers! I have my medals mixed together on a medal hanger but it's getting pretty full so I'm thinking of getting a second one and putting all the RunDisney medals on that separate one. I wear the shirts all the time but I don't keep the bibs. They end up getting tossed.

Hi guys! I haven't been on this thread because I played it cute & waited to sign up for the half and then it sold out on me. Anybody here been placing odds on whether they will re-open half registration like they did for Wine & Dine? Or do a Goofy Giveback like they did a few years back? Not sure I'm ready for a marathon right now.
However. has anybody ever tried doing Goofy by running the half and then walking or taking a very lackadaisical approach to the full? My biggest concern even if I did sign up for just the half is FOMO over the 25th anniversary marathon medal so that might be a compromise if it didn't kill me.

Hi guys! I haven't been on this thread because I played it cute & waited to sign up for the half and then it sold out on me. Anybody here been placing odds on whether they will re-open half registration like they did for Wine & Dine? Or do a Goofy Giveback like they did a few years back? Not sure I'm ready for a marathon right now.
However. has anybody ever tried doing Goofy by running the half and then walking or taking a very lackadaisical approach to the full? My biggest concern even if I did sign up for just the half is FOMO over the 25th anniversary marathon medal so that might be a compromise if it didn't kill me.

It can be done. I ran Goofy (and the 10k) while injured in 2016. I was limited to 1:00/3:00 run/walk intervals as part of my rehab program. The injury prevented me from running in October and most of November. By the time Marathon Weekend rolled around, the longest training run I had gotten back to was 10 miles. I had a grand total of 3 half marathons and no fulls under my belt at that point. I will say I was terrified in the starting corral for the full, wondering what I'd gotten myself into, but my plan was to start and if I had to step off the course, so be it. DLF>DNF>DNS and all that. It was tough, but it's also my favorite running experiences ever.

I wouldn't really recommend racing the half if you go that route, though. I'd take it easy knowing what was coming the next day. It's not an ideal plan, but if you have your heart set on doing the half, why not sign up for Goofy? Run the half and then go out on Sunday with a "let's see what I can do approach". You might surprise yourself.

It can be done. I ran Goofy (and the 10k) while injured in 2016. I was limited to 1:00/3:00 run/walk intervals as part of my rehab program. The injury prevented me from running in October and most of November. By the time Marathon Weekend rolled around, the longest training run I had gotten back to was 10 miles. I had a grand total of 3 half marathons and no fulls under my belt at that point. I will say I was terrified in the starting corral for the full, wondering what I'd gotten myself into, but my plan was to start and if I had to step off the course, so be it. DLF>DNF>DNS and all that. It was tough, but it's also my favorite running experiences ever.

I wouldn't really recommend racing the half if you go that route, though. I'd take it easy knowing what was coming the next day. It's not an ideal plan, but if you have your heart set on doing the half, why not sign up for Goofy? Run the half and then go out on Sunday with a "let's see what I can do approach". You might surprise yourself.
I have been having the same thought process as you, but then what I'm saying is, "I'm not feeling ready to train to race a marathon, so instead I'll sign up for a half AND a marathon and maybe try to run both". I'm imagining explaining that to my friends and family. :lmao:

I have been having the same thought process as you, but then what I'm saying is, "I'm not feeling ready to train to race a marathon, so instead I'll sign up for a half AND a marathon and maybe try to run both". I'm imagining explaining that to my friends and family. :lmao:

To be fair, my intention was to train to run the marathon during the fall. The injury prevented me from doing that. Maybe a better way to approach it could be that "I really want to run the half, but it's sold out so I have to sign up for both". Then anything you do beyond the half is just a bonus and they won't think you're as crazy.

Hi guys, I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem I'm having.
Last night at the end of my water aerobics class I had a severe calf cramp. I spent today just resting and stretching but the calf is still very tender and quite painful. I have a 45 minute run scheduled tomorrow that I plan on trying to do with the understanding that if it's painful I'll stop.
Has anybody had a calf cramp that was still painful 24 hours after the initial cramp, and how did you get it resolved?
Thanks!

I'm not sounding the panic button but please be careful and make sure it is an actual muscle cramp and not something more serious like a blood clot.

It may be worth a call or a trip to the doctor to make sure. If it is a clot you would not want to dislodge it. Better safe than sorry.

Good luck

Hi guys, I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem I'm having.
Last night at the end of my water aerobics class I had a severe calf cramp. I spent today just resting and stretching but the calf is still very tender and quite painful. I have a 45 minute run scheduled tomorrow that I plan on trying to do with the understanding that if it's painful I'll stop.
Has anybody had a calf cramp that was still painful 24 hours after the initial cramp, and how did you get it resolved?
Thanks!
Ive had knots stick around and I massaged my calf or have ended up with a Charlie horse sleeping that released it on more times than I can remember. Not sure if that's the same as you have or not but have no advice except hope it feels better soon and be careful on it! And yikes to the above post that's something I definitely didn't think of as have no idea on blood clots.

I'm not sounding the panic button but please be careful and make sure it is an actual muscle cramp and not something more serious like a blood clot.

It may be worth a call or a trip to the doctor to make sure. If it is a clot you would not want to dislodge it. Better safe than sorry.

Good luck

Ive had knots stick around and I massaged my calf or have ended up with a Charlie horse sleeping that released it on more times than I can remember. Not sure if that's the same as you have or not but have no advice except hope it feels better soon and be careful on it! And yikes to the above post that's something I definitely didn't think of as have no idea on blood clots.
Thank you both for your advice! I saw my doctor this morning and was diagnosed with a grade 2 calf strain. I was told not to run for two weeks and have a referral for PT. :worried:

Speaking of medical diagnoses,

A couple weeks ago, I shoved the middle kid away to college (ok, she went willingly) but after getting back home and the 700 mile drive, my foot started hurting. The pain never went away. My doc sent me to get x-rays, and they came back negative. I went to the podiatrist today, and she said it's not a foot problem.

I've had three lower back surgeries, already, and the podiatrist says I pinched a nerve just outside the surgical area.

I have a neurosurgeon appointment in a couple of weeks, but if his prognosis isn't good, I may not be running. :(

Thank you both for your advice! I saw my doctor this morning and was diagnosed with a grade 2 calf strain. I was told not to run for two weeks and have a referral for PT. :worried:
Oh boo, but at least not something worse I guess, although frustrating I'm sure. Hopefully it will feel better in no time.

Speaking of medical diagnoses,

A couple weeks ago, I shoved the middle kid away to college (ok, she went willingly) but after getting back home and the 700 mile drive, my foot started hurting. The pain never went away. My doc sent me to get x-rays, and they came back negative. I went to the podiatrist today, and she said it's not a foot problem.

I've had three lower back surgeries, already, and the podiatrist says I pinched a nerve just outside the surgical area.

I have a neurosurgeon appointment in a couple of weeks, but if his prognosis isn't good, I may not be running. :(
oh ouch, hopefully it turns out better & you can run!

As I mentioned in the running thread I wiped out bad Wednesday while running and sprained both arms so hear you on injuries. So while I can run (just scrapes on my knees), it feels weird as I can't use my arms much. So, this week is turning into a major stepback week so we'll just ask Tinkerbell to spread a lot of healing pixie dust over all of us! At least i keep saying the marathon isn't this weekend thank goodness!

Must be one of those weeks. I had one of my worst runs ever yesterday. Lethargic, achy in my ankle and knees, too hot and humid. Just felt like garbage the whole 6 miles.

I'm chalking it up as one of those garbage runs I seem to have before big races. 16 miles tomorrow morning; Milwaukee marathon on Oct. 1.

In more positive news, wife is fully onboard with a January 2019 WDW trip, which means as long as my health holds up, I'm in for the marathon.

Attachments

• IMG_4208.JPG
    IMG_4208.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 8

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!