Marathon Registration

Nana2Callie

DIS Veteran
Looking at the marathon in January and wondering how quickly this will sell out - I don't want to hesitate too long.

This year the Half, 10K, and 5K are already sold out. I think Dopey might eventually sell out but Goofy and just the Full aren't as likely to sell out before the race. They might but it isn't going to be soon.

You probably have until late summer or early fall for the marathon to sell out, but you can never be too sure. They used to have bars on the site that told you what percentage they were at toward sell out, but they took those away. If it's really important to you to run the race, I wouldn't hesitate too long, but realistically it's probably a few months until you might need to worry. But, who really knows???

Okay now I'm confused --- the Goofy is the Half and Marathon both Sat/Sun right? So the Half is sold out, but not the Goofy?

Okay now I'm confused --- the Goofy is the Half and Marathon both Sat/Sun right? So the Half is sold out, but not the Goofy?
RunDisney sets aside a certain number of half registrations for goofy and dopey. For those that just want to run the half marathon and nothing else it's sold out.

Please understand that the marathon will probably not "sell out", but rD will stop selling registrations at some point. The last few years that has been in September. They do not openly advertise the date, but they have a last date which they will allow registrations for the races - almost certainly before the proof of time due date (10/4).

We signed up for the 2016 marathon on 9/16/15 so it was still open then. Of course anything could happen this year, but last year it went past that date.

We signed up for the 2016 marathon on 9/16/15 so it was still open then. Of course anything could happen this year, but last year it went past that date.

I'm pretty sure I looked in November at some time, and it was still open. It was definitely closed, though, in December.

I'm pretty sure @mbwhitti got her Marathon registration for this year in November. It was from a TA, and I'm pretty sure it was discounted. Goofy and Marathon seem to always hang around for a while.

This year the Half, 10K, and 5K are already sold out. I think Dopey might eventually sell out but Goofy and just the Full aren't as likely to sell out before the race. They might but it isn't going to be soon.

Goofy sold out in early to mid-June last year. I was hemming and hawing about registering for it and got locked out when it closed. The marathon, though, hung around til October or November, IIRC. I would suggest folks looking for Goody not delay too long. Travel agents had bibs all the way up to the race, but those come with their own additional requirements.

Goofy sold out in early to mid-June last year. I was hemming and hawing about registering for it and got locked out when it closed. The marathon, though, hung around til October or November, IIRC. I would suggest folks looking for Goody not delay too long. Travel agents had bibs all the way up to the race, but those come with their own additional requirements.

Very true. Marathon 2017 registration is SO weird though. Dopey is still available - and I got an email from a TA last week that was offering Dopey bibs at a discount AND without the hotel and ticket requirement (I'm guessing their group as a whole made the required allotment? Or people were canceling bibs but keeping other plans via the TA).

And, honestly, every race weekend (starting with the INCREDIBLY popular Princess Weekend) has had TAs and Charities trying to jettison bibs up until two weeks before the race.

This year of registration has really bucked the norms of past years.

I just emailed a TA that I've used recently (almost all of my group for Tink Weekend used them), out of curiosity, because my BFF decided to run Goofy but needs to wait until the end of the month to register (she's going through a move, selling of a house, etc., and want everything to close before she pays for race registration). The TA says that of her allotment, only four Goofy bibs have been sold and she has nearly 50 left. My friend won't need a hotel since she's staying with me in a DVC rental, but WILL need tickets. TA said that they could probably make something work to get her a bib and ticket without a required hotel, because of different circumstances. From other communications I've had, it seems like - at least for WDW race weekends, that TAs will only be allotted the number of bibs that they successfully sold the year prior.

I've said it before, I'll say it again - in 2018 there will be lots of anniversaries (5K, 10K, marathon and Dopey). Not everyone participates in this race weekend multiple years in a row. I think a good chunk are waiting/saving up for 2018.

I've said it before, I'll say it again - in 2018 there will be lots of anniversaries (5K, 10K, marathon and Dopey). Not everyone participates in this race weekend multiple years in a row. I think a good chunk are waiting/saving up for 2018.

You are so right! I think the "lull" we are experiencing this year will be very different next year. All those anniversary races, and medals, will be a huge draw. I bet it will be more like the last few years. For 2015 I tried to register for Dopey at around 5:15pm on the day it opened and it was already full! I think 2018 will be in even higher demand!

It's like you know what I'm planning. :rolleyes1

I'll be anxious for days leading up to registration and be on at 11:45 refreshing my browser (who am I kidding, it'll be weeks and 10:30) because I'm a paranoid Dopey addict. Still, registration seems to have slowed pretty considerably the last couple years and I am starting to wonder how much of a counter-effect a big Anniversary Weekend will be. Then again, anniversaries tend to be biggest for 25-year increments, so it could be crazier than I expect (particularly if they actually plan ahead and attempt to advertise anything special they have planned). My main worry right now is that they will look at the longer sellout time on Dopey this year coupled with the fast sellout of the half, 10K, and 5K and dial back the number of Dopey bibs to allow for a few extra 5K, 10K and Half individual entries.

Such great responses! It has always been my dream to run one more marathon before I turn 50. But injuries are keeping me from 2017 ... so it'll have to be 2018!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter