• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Map of Fortwilderness

pectdc

Earning My Ears
Disney Traveler in December of 2002,

I would like to know where I can find a map of the camp grounds and how they connect to Fort Wilderness the lodge. Can anyone help?

We are staying in a cabin with my two boys 5-7 and wife. Any suggestions if I should get a golf cart or help on any little bits of information?

Patrick

We are leaving in a couple of days and staying in the cabins. Disney sent me a map with my reservation confirmation. As far as renting a golf cart, I do think many people do this and it seems you need something to get around with (other than your feet) as the site is quite spread out and apparently the bus service can be slow. However, we are somewhat annoyed by this as we feel we are spending enough money already! Carts are around $40/day.

We are considering requesting a cabin within walking distance of the pool and then using our rental car to drive to the TTP for the monorail to MK, rather than trying to get to the marina to take the boat to MK. We will drive to the other parks.

Anyone else have thoughts on the need for a golf cart or comments on the bus system?

We are leaving in a couple of days and staying in the cabins. Disney sent me a map with my reservation confirmation. As far as renting a golf cart, I do think many people do this and it seems you need something to get around with (other than your feet) as the site is quite spread out and apparently the bus service can be slow. However, we are somewhat annoyed by this as we feel we are spending enough money already! Carts are around $40/day.

We are considering requesting a cabin within walking distance of the pool and then using our rental car to drive to the TTP for the monorail to MK, rather than trying to get to the marina to take the boat to MK. We will drive to the other parks.

Anyone else have thoughts on the need for a golf cart or comments on the bus system?

We stay at FW often and have never had any problems with the bus system. It doesn't seem any slower than the buses that go to the other resorts.

If you don't want to rent a golf cart you can always rent bicycles to get around the campground.

Have a wonderful time at FW - we leave in 22 days!!!

FYI - you cannot drive to the TTC. It's for Disney buses, boats & monorails only.

You could drive to the MK and catch different buses & monorails there - but I think you're better off just catching the bus to the TTC. (or the boat to the MK) We've never had any problem catching a bus to where we want to go! The most we've ever waited is 10 minutes. :D

Thanks for that info. Do the buses/boats operate early enough for us to get there for our 8:10 breakfast at the Castle?

I know that a lot of people rent the golf carts, but you only have to walk around your loop early in the morning to realize that a majority of people do not. We have stayed at FW many times and have never rented a cart or felt that we needed one. There have been many times when I thought it would be "neat" to have one, but a necessity it isn't. If you are trying to save some money this trip, use the $40 towards something else. As others have said, the transportation isn't really that bad. Bring bikes if you can and also request a cabin in the 2100 loop. This will put you within a 5 minute walk to the trading post/main pool area and a leisurely 15 minute walk to the Pioneer Hall/Marina/Petting Farm area. Have a great trip! :D

We're renting a golf cart for two days out of our 7 day stay in the cabins. We have planned a day spent partially exploring FW and figured it would be fun to have the cart for that day (got two days because of the timing for pick up and drop off for the carts.) We'll use our car and the busses to get around the other days.

By the way, when I reserved the cart the CM asked if I was sure I only needed those two days, she said they will not be allowing people to add more dates onto their cart reservations. I don't know why, you'd think if a cart was available they'd let you keep it longer.

I would like to know where I can find a map of the camp grounds and how they connect to Fort Wilderness the lodge. Can anyone help?
I presume you mean Wilderness Lodge Resort. It hasn't been the Ft. Wilderness Lodge for a number of years now. Anyway, the Lodge is 0.90 miles from Ft. Wilderness Campground. There's a nice paved pathway that leaves up by the horse corral. You can check out my report on this at:

http://198.65.131.237/showthread.php?s=&threadid=125473

By the way, when I reserved the cart the CM asked if I was sure I only needed those two days, she said they will not be allowing people to add more dates onto their cart reservations. I don't know why, you'd think if a cart was available they'd let you keep it longer.
I know that in busy seasons all the carts are rented out with reservations. My only guess is that if you don't reserve it now it will be reserved by someone else so you won't be able to keep it. Kind of like getting a hotel room in a hotel that if full-up. Then not being able to stay an extra day because 'your room' has been reserved by someone else who will be checking in that day.

If carts are available while you're there, then of course you can rent one for whatever days were available.

Just a side comment, they can get $40/day for a cart because people pay it. For me, I'd rather walk....for one thing it makes it possible to get some good exercise. I also take the bicycle with me for longer distances and just riding around the campground.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter