Mandatory life boat drill

This is why they no longer want you to put them on before the drill. People damaged them when doing this. I definitely saw people dragging them along the ground by the strap and basically mishandling them when you were supposed to be wearing them during the drill.

Disney has them in the cabins and a great many also in cabinets and other locations around the ship near the lifeboats should you not be able to go to your cabin. There's usually a decent bit of time between the decision to get everyone ready for evacuation and the actual need for evacuation (assuming you have a Captain who calls for it when it's necessary). But, if there isn't time, there is a Plan B. There are far more life jackets than are required for the number of people.

Yes, I know all that (I was lifejacket team when I worked at DCL), you know it, many people on here will know that, but not everyone does. People think they have to go back to their cabin and get it which is when they can run into trouble. Emergency situations can change very quickly, especially on ships. Personally I think it's better, get everyone to their muster stations as quickly as possible, even if it doesn't go any further, people are accounted for, safe, and out the way of any emergency teams and families are less likely to get separated causing even more panic.
So far, it's only the big ships I've heard of that do this, probably more for crowd management, you dont need people running in all directions, especially when cabin corridors are so narrow as it is.

I have heard, many times, at thee drill they tell parents not to go to the kids club for their children, they will be brought to their proper station and the parent should go directly there and wait. I know that this would be hard however it would save time and could save lives.
There was a thread a while ago where some people said if there was an emergency they would just go to the nearest station and not bother going to theirs. This is a bad idea for several reasons, the biggest being a time waister. There are only so many people who can load in each area and they need to be accounted for before someone just showing up would be considered. It is more likely you would be turned away to go to your appointed station. The exception to this would be if there was a problem with the station assigned to you. Staff are in constant contact with each other and if there is a problem they have a backup plan and will let you know what to do/where to go. Don’t waste time trying to utilize another station. You may be putting yourself and others at risk.

I don't know how you could get away with even trying to get out of the drill. We were in our room before one and our room attendant was knocking on our door every few minutes, starting (if I remember right) 30 minutes before the drill. Then leaving the room, he was there in the hallway watching the rooms likely keeping track.

As for lifejackets, I know some ships (not Disney ships) that dont even put them in guest cabins any more because they dont want guests to be encouraged to go back to their cabins and through potentially dangerous situations or get lost, going back for them
I haven't been on a ship yet (including our river cruises in Europe) that didn't have life jackets in the room.

But, I agree that many lines to keep supplies of such at the actual life boat station.

I get this is mandatory and I even understand why but if there is an emergency I doubt I would know what I was doing or where to go. I find the whole thing very similar to the plane thing that I read thru. the last one we did, they were irritated because this women refused to stand. I often wonder what happens to the people who don't show because every one we've done there are people who do not show.

Yes, I know all that (I was lifejacket team when I worked at DCL), you know it, many people on here will know that, but not everyone does.

And this is why people are supposed to pay attention during the drill cuz that's when they tell you. And that's why I pay attention during life boat drills, instructions on the plane, and evacuation drills at the office. There's critical information provided that will assist you in the event of a real emergency. It so annoys me when people sit and chat no matter how many times they ask you not to. I'm sure people miss out on half of what's said and think "I know all this stuff" but: (a) they don't; (b) there can be new information or changes to previous procedures; and (c) the more often you hear it or practice it, the more it will come automatically during an actual emergency. It must be enormously frustrating for staff.

I used to be Chair of the Health & Safety Committee at my last job and I'm Deputy Warden in my current job and I never tell staff when there's a drill scheduled. I always profess ignorance when the alarm goes off; it's the only way to see how people might react in a real emergency. In both my jobs, sometimes it's been real and sometimes a drill so I make sure they never know which so they don't get lax. After a real one, I can tell you that people are much more engaged the next time the alarm goes off.

I’ve never been on a cruise (or would dream of not going to a safety message) but found this thread interesting.

I had thought the muster was the demo when you first get on the ship, but are there fire drill like things during the sailing also? Or are they possible emergencies?

Does the whole ship do the first one together or are there more smaller ones? Smaller ones seems like it would be safer/easier to keep attention on.

I’ve never been on a cruise (or would dream of not going to a safety message) but found this thread interesting.

I had thought the muster was the demo when you first get on the ship, but are there fire drill like things during the sailing also? Or are they possible emergencies?

Does the whole ship do the first one together or are there more smaller ones? Smaller ones seems like it would be safer/easier to keep attention on.
The muster drill has changed post-Covid. It used to be everyone gathered at the same time. Now, when you board the ship you will be given instructions on how to use the app for your muster drill. You and your travel party will go to your muster drill location to check in with a crew member. There will also be a safety video you are required to view in your stateroom. Once you have completed those things, you are finished. There are no additional drills during the sailing. If you are required to go to your muster station during a sailing, there is an actual emergency.

The muster drill has changed post-Covid. It used to be everyone gathered at the same time. Now, when you board the ship you will be given instructions on how to use the app for your muster drill. You and your travel party will go to your muster drill location to check in with a crew member. There will also be a safety video you are required to view in your stateroom. Once you have completed those things, you are finished. There are no additional drills during the sailing. If you are required to go to your muster station during a sailing, there is an actual emergency.
I thought we could watch the video on the app too IIRC.

Other posters have explained how the muster drill works now.
During the sailing, when at one or more of the ports, there will be various drills the CREW participate in for training purposes -- but they are not for passengers to participate in (though it can be fascinating to watch if you stay on the ship and happen to be around while it is going on...). We've seen them do lifeboat drills, man overboard drills, fire drills, and various extents of evacuation drills, including one on our last cruise where they went all the way to the point where they were simulating actually evacuating the ship, so they were calling the muster stations to the lifeboats to load (the other evacuation drills we have seen they don't go that far in the drill, they usually end in muster stations but the muster stations don't then evacuate although they may relocate a couple due to a simulated hazard - for thisone multiple locations were relocated and they went all the way through evacuating all the stations -- it was really neat listening to it through the speakers and watching what we could from our out of the way vantage points -- and, the Carnival ship next to us was doing the same thing, so we got a two-for-one show ! :-) I don't know if it was a Bahamas regulatory thing that that day both ships had to do the full drill or if it was just coincidence or what, but it was quite interesting seeing them both doing it... kept us entertained for quite a while !

I am torn about the new safety drill procedures....while it was a pain to gather smashed together with hundreds of people around you, somethimes in rain, sometimes in awful heat, I liked the idea of physically being where I needed to be in case of an emergency.

I understand why they changed it and it is so much quicker and easier now but the old way had a sort of camaraderie about it...like we are all in this together and this will be where we need to be. We met so many nice people over the years while at the safety drill.

MJ

I am torn about the new safety drill procedures....while it was a pain to gather smashed together with hundreds of people around you, somethimes in rain, sometimes in awful heat, I liked the idea of physically being where I needed to be in case of an emergency.

I understand why they changed it and it is so much quicker and easier now but the old way had a sort of camaraderie about it...like we are all in this together and this will be where we need to be. We met so many nice people over the years while at the safety drill.

MJ
You still have to go there to scan the sign an check in with a CM, you just don't have to stand/sit around anymore.

MJ
I agree with this. The only thing that was a negative was waiting for those 'special' people who didn't feel the need to be there on time. They were doing other more important things. You know the ones.

I liked the idea of physically being where I needed to be in case of an emergency.

Except you do still need to go to the location or did that change? You scan the sign or check in at the actual location. You just don't get all the info while standing there now.

The only thing that was a negative

Was being slammed in to a massive group..... I avoid groups and skip events that are like cattle drives.

I also go early or late to places that can be busy that I have to go to.

Being able to check in at your leisure is a massive improvement.

MJ
We used to choose staterooms partly based on the location of the muster drill. Much preferred sitting in Animator's to standing on the deck.

You still have to go there to scan the sign an check in with a CM, you just don't have to stand/sit around anymore.
I know....I have done it several times this year....I was just saying its so different than standing with hundreds of people.

Except you do still need to go to the location or did that change? You scan the sign or check in at the actual location. You just don't get all the info while standing there now.

Yep, but how many people are really taking the time to go to their cabin and actually watching (and paying attention) to the presentation on the TV.

MJ

Yep, but how many people are really taking the time to go to their cabin and actually watching (and paying attention) to the presentation on the TV.

MJ

Why do you need to watch anything on your TV? Put it on the app.

Its been 9 months since my last Disney cruise but Royal and NCL are both doing great jobs and not making you watch it on your stateroom TV. Royal has it on the app to watch even before you board the cruise.

This is an issue easily solved by making people watch, sign off on, and complete before they can even board the ship. Then when they board the ship the first thing required is going directly to the station.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter