MANDATORY 14-DAY QUARANTINE FOR ARRIVING TOURISTS!

Sparky McGrew

Earning My Ears
14-DAY QUARANTINE IS MANDATORY!
All tourists arriving in Hawaii (starting next week) MUST stay in their hotel rooms for 14 days.
Violation will result in $5,000 fine and/or one year in jail.

PLEASE do not come to Hawaii. Mahalo.

Also, as this effectively bans mainlanders from going to Hawaii, if you already had flights booked, you should receive an email from your carrier (i.e. Hawaiian Airlines, Delta, Alaska, etc) of a full refund. If you canceled your flight due to Coronavirus, you may only get a voucher for a future flight. In this case, as it was an act of the government, full refunds should be issued.

So if you had a 12 day vacation booked why would you even leave the house. They shd just ban all incoming tourism.

Also, as this effectively bans mainlanders from going to Hawaii, if you already had flights booked, you should receive an email from your carrier (i.e. Hawaiian Airlines, Delta, Alaska, etc) of a full refund. If you canceled your flight due to Coronavirus, you may only get a voucher for a future flight. In this case, as it was an act of the government, full refunds should be issued.
Where can you find information that supports this?
I had to cancel flights on American to there from Chicago and just have a voucher flight was March 18. And a flight on Hawaiian airlines supposed to be March 25. The Hawaiian airlines is the one I’m most concerned about if there is a way to get a refund not a voucher

They shd just ban all incoming tourism.

That's the point. The state doesn't have the legal jurisdiction to close down the airport. Instead, the state is being crafty and taking action within its legal boundaries to make people CHOOSE to not come.

Where can you find information that supports this?
I had to cancel flights on American to there from Chicago and just have a voucher flight was March 18. And a flight on Hawaiian airlines supposed to be March 25. The Hawaiian airlines is the one I’m most concerned about if there is a way to get a refund not a voucher

The Hawaiian Airlines website was updated to reflect the quarantine info and their policy does not make mention of a refund. https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/alerts/covid-19-travel-information
From what I can tell, only to the people traveling to the Big Island for Merrie Monarch are getting refunds.

That's the point. The state doesn't have the legal jurisdiction to close down the airport. Instead, the state is being crafty and taking action within its legal boundaries to make people CHOOSE to not come.

The Hawaiian Airlines website was updated to reflect the quarantine info and their policy does not make mention of a refund. https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/alerts/covid-19-travel-information
From what I can tell, only to the people traveling to the Big Island for Merrie Monarch are getting refunds.
If the airline canceled your tickets, they are required to give you a refund. DOT laws.

they can't outright ban tourists...but they can order hotels closed, and require those coming in to have confirmed accomodations.
and with hotels "closed" they can designate a few hotels (possibly on a rotating basis to allow for better cleaning) to be used as temporary "housing" for medical staff (can't magically make PPE appear...but could at least relieve some fears over passing the virus to their own families...)

the really sad part in all of this is that just like everywhere else...a large chunk of the early cases were residents returning from trips...and that once again...a few bad apples will be ruining things for everyone else for years to come.

14-DAY QUARANTINE IS MANDATORY!
All tourists arriving in Hawaii (starting next week) MUST stay in their hotel rooms for 14 days.
Violation will result in $5,000 fine and/or one year in jail.

PLEASE do not come to Hawaii. Mahalo.
Why are they allowing tourists to arrive at all? If a tourist does come they will already have had contact with so many people between getting off the plane and isolating in their hotel room (customs, immigration, taxi driver, hotel reception, bell boy etc).

Why are they allowing tourists to arrive at all? If a tourist does come they will already have had contact with so many people between getting off the plane and isolating in their hotel room (customs, immigration, taxi driver, hotel reception, bell boy etc).

There is an issue of laws, rights, constitutional rights, health emergencies, ect.

The only way you stop it is possibly martial law which the US is not even close to needing.

It would be illegal for one state to not allow other US nationals come in to the state. There is even question that requiring a quarantine might be illegal.

In the US its extremely hard to prevent spread which is why pretty much everywhere is under stay at home orders.

Why are they allowing tourists to arrive at all?
The Mayor of Honolulu has asked Trump to ban all unnecessary flights to Oahu. The White House says Trump can only do that if the Governor requests it. So far, Governor Ige has refused to do so. (He says he's looked at the issue and decided against it because "it would not be in Hawaii's best interests.")

Each day about 100+ tourists arrive here. (Why???) They are told upon arrival they must stay in their hotel rooms for 14 days. Hotel staff has been instructed to call the Police if they see a tourist outside their room. So far, this hasn't been strictly enforced but the Mayor says they will be starting tougher enforcement tomorrow. (Believe or not, we've also had several different groups of tourists arrive here without any hotel reservations at all. They were immediately put on the next flight back.)

Last edited:
The Mayor of Honolulu has asked Trump to ban all unnecessary flights to Oahu. The White House says Trump can only do that if the Governor requests it. So far, Governor Ige has refused to do so. (He says he's looked at the issue and decided against it because "it would not be in Hawaii's best interests.")

Each day about 100+ tourists arrive here. (Why???) They are told upon arrival they must stay in their hotel rooms for 14 days. Hotel staff has been instructed to call the Police if they see a tourist outside their room. So far, this hasn't been strictly enforced but the Mayor says they will be starting tougher enforcement tomorrow. (Believe or not, we've also had several different groups of tourists arrive here without any hotel reservations at all. They were immediately put on the next flight back.)
same basic reasons as to why people sneak into abandoned theme parks, and other such locations. or why people continue to gather for parties and other such things...different people different values and ethics. that and there will always be people who won't follow the rules no matter what.

theres also the possibility that some may still believe that warm weather = no virus spread (pretty sure africa, australia, iran, etc. wishes this were true), and others may be coming because they can't get refunds, and could never afford to visit hawaii if they cancelled a trip without getting one.

some may also be looking at the relatively low confirmed cases and not realize how few ventilators hawaii has (little over 550 unless they recently got more)

others may be thinking "if this is how it ends at least I get a view" or something like that.

some who are coming with a hotel reservation may be looking at super cheap airfare and doing the whole "fly just to accumulate miles to qualify for x"...

Does anyone have a guess when this quarantine will be ended? Will it be reinstated for the whole summer or whole year?

The FAA threatened to withhold something like $75M in funding if Ige closed down the airport. I think keeping them open is the right long term call. There are so many former Hawaii residents who lost their jobs (especially in Vegas) that are returning home to live with family because they’re broke and that’s why the intended resident count is so high. I think it’s important to keep the airport open to allow these people to come home.

As for all the new arrivals ... if you’ve got the time and money, a 14-day quarantine is a small price to pay if you’re from a hotspot or if you plan on spending a couple months here.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a guess when this quarantine will be ended? Will it be reinstated for the whole summer or whole year?

I don’t think you’ll see the quarantine lifted until covid19 is under control in the entire country. Hawaii schools and businesses that are NOT tourist dependent may return to “normal” by mid-June because we seem to be doing a decent job of controlling community spread. Dr. Fauci thinks US schools may reopen in the fall, so that might be a reasonable time to expect Hawaii to drop the quarantine.

The FAA threatened to withhold something like $75M in funding if Ige closed down the airport. I think keeping them open is the right long term call. There are so many former Hawaii residents who lost their jobs (especially in Vegas) that are returning home to live with family because they’re broke and that’s why the intended resident count is so high. I think it’s important to keep the airport open to allow these people to come home.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know about the $75M. And you make some very good points about former residents returning. Aloha.

Last edited:
Yeah they are taking this VERY seriously. It is currently illegal to operate a vacation rental so I would guess that means Disney cannot open the resort for DVC use until this is lifted. I also read you can not legally rent a car in Hawaii if you are subject to the quarantine.

Yeah they are taking this VERY seriously. It is currently illegal to operate a vacation rental so I would guess that means Disney cannot open the resort for DVC use until this is lifted. I also read you can not legally rent a car in Hawaii if you are subject to the quarantine.

This is true for the non-tourist areas. In Waikiki, Ko Olina, and I believe there's one more area you can legally rent out vacation rentals. Other parts of the island homes, condos, etc must be rented out for at least 30 days. It is legal to operate in Waikiki and other tourist areas as we currently have a privately owned condo booked through "Waikiki Beach Rentals" for future travel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter