Making our own Universal dining plan- Charging to room question?

counselormom

Mouseketeer
We are staying at RP for a week in July with a teen and two young adults (my daughters and my oldest DD’s friend). I’m sure they will want to be on their own for parts of the day so we want to make it simple for them to purchase food/drinks. I also want the guest to feel comfortable and not worry about purchasing things while still setting limits on my two. I thought I would just let them know that they can have lunch and two snacks a day on us and then we will all be having dinner together. I’ll have beverages and breakfast stuff in the room and thought about getting the new refillable mugs at the resort. Does this sound like a workable plan? Will they be able to use their room cards to charge to the room pretty much everywhere? City walk, Parks, Volcano Bay, the resort? Thanks 😊

Last edited:
I may have been unlucky but I have occasionally found the hotel charging privileges at UOR resorts a little temperamental.

We are staying at RP for a week in July with a teen and two young adults (my daughters and a my oldest DD’s friend). I’m sure they will want to be on their own for parts of the day so we want to make it simple for them to purchase food/drinks. I also want the guest to feel comfortable and not worry about purchasing things while still setting limits on my two. I thought I would just let them know that they can have lunch and two snacks a day on us and then we will all be having dinner together. I’ll have beverages and breakfast stuff in the room and thought about getting the new refillable mugs at the resort. Does this sound like a workable plan? Will they be able to use their room cards to charge to the room pretty much everywhere? City walk, Parks, Volcano Bay, the resort? Thanks 😊

They can charge anywhere except for the smaller carts around the parks and Citywalk.

I think charging will be almost essential now as they are trying to discourage cash. We charge back now and again and it`s always been fine, but there can be issues as with anything.

Maybe make sure they have some cash with them just in case.

We've not had any issues with charging to the room keys either. And one nice feature is you can set specific daily charge limits for each card. So for your card, you can have a higher charge limit and for the kids a much lower one.

If you want to manage a daily limit, or some kind of budget you would allocate them without risking them to charge caviar and champagne to your room, lol, you could get gift cards for them.
load some money, and they will be able to charge with the gift card (no cash), without charging to the room.

They can charge anywhere except for the smaller carts around the parks and Citywalk.

I think charging will be almost essential now as they are trying to discourage cash. We charge back now and again and it`s always been fine, but there can be issues as with anything.

Maybe make sure they have some cash with them just in case.
Okay, thanks. I’m sure they will stop sometimes for popcorn and such so a little cash is a good idea.

We've not had any issues with charging to the room keys either. And one nice feature is you can set specific daily charge limits for each card. So for your card, you can have a higher charge limit and for the kids a much lower one.
I may just do that for my youngest, she would be the one to find the $20
“Snack” item.

If you want to manage a daily limit, or some kind of budget you would allocate them without risking them to charge caviar and champagne to your room, lol, you could get gift cards for them.
load some money, and they will be able to charge with the gift card (no cash), without charging to the room.
LOL! If anyone is getting champagne it should be me. Would the universal gift cards work anywhere on property? Where can you buy them pre-trip?

LOL! If anyone is getting champagne it should be me. Would the universal gift cards work anywhere on property? Where can you buy them pre-trip?
I can get Universal gift cards at my local grocery store, plus reward points for grocery purchases with my AmEx card. If your local grocery doesn't have them, they can be bought from Universal online. They are good at the parks and Citiwalk restaurants, food & gift shops at VB.

Hi, we live in NY, so no Universal gift cards in our stores, so I purchase them on line at Universal. I buy them just for dining as well-if we have some $ left on them at the end of the trip, you can save it for another time, or buy some stuff!

I may have been unlucky but I have occasionally found the hotel charging privileges at UOR resorts a little temperamental.
This has been my experience as well. We've also not been able to charge to our room until our room was ready on check-in day, and we could no longer charge to the room after check-out time on our last day. We can at WDW with MBs as they simply add it to our bill, but not the same at UOR.

Would the universal gift cards work anywhere on property? Where can you buy them pre-trip?
I buy the gc in GA at the Kroger grocery stores.
When I lived in a northern state, I bought them on line thru the Universal website.

Either way, it was easy to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!