Making History! A 2017 Westbound Panama Canal Trip Report **Complete**

Our vacation began on Friday, April 21, 2017. The plan was for James to only work a half day so that we could all go out to lunch and have a fun day out before heading to our hotel by the airport.

Needless to say, it didn’t work out that way.

A crisis happened at James’ work. There was no way he could escape halfway through the day. We were all bummed, but the kids and I made the most of it. We went out to lunch by ourselves. This was truly the beginning of our vacation because we rarely eat out otherwise. They picked the restaurant – Ponderosa. My kids love their sundae bar.

After eating our fill (and beyond), we returned home and waited for James to get out of work. We waited…and waited. Let’s just say he put in a looong day and then had to put in yet another hour after he got home. None of us were pleased, but what could we do about it? We wanted to be able to take more vacations.

My husband is an engineer for a well known tire manufacturer, and it seems like every time we try to leave for a trip they have a crisis and we end up delayed in leaving. I feel your pain.
igh.com/Flint

Last edited:
"My husband is an engineer for a well known tire manufacturer, and it seems like every time we try to leave for a trip they have a crisis and we end up delayed in leaving. I feel your pain."

Every time! That's one thing I love about cruising. I refuse to purchase phone/internet access. So, at least once I finally get him away from work, they can't reach him again until we get back!

After leaving Triton's, we remained in the atrium to play Chip-it Golf. Emily was too young to play, so she volunteered to be the caddy. She did a great job. The CM who ran the game thought so too and gave her a certificate for her efforts.

59.jpg

60.jpg

61.jpg

Neither James nor I scored high enough to make it into the second round of golf, so we headed back to our cabin. Emily enjoyed a fruit-pop, while I got cleaned up for the day.

62.jpg

63.jpg

64.jpg

When Emily finished her treat, she skittered off to the Oceaneer Lab. James and I also parted ways. He went to an acupuncture seminar in the spa, while I went to see Rudy in the Buena Vista Theater. What a great movie! I couldn't believe I hadn't seen it before.

65.jpg

James' seminar ended just as the President of the Panama Canal Authority and the CEO of Disney Cruise Line were coming aboard the Wonder for a brief ceremony to commemorate our historic trip as the first passenger ship to pass through the new locks of the Panama Canal. The President of the Panama Canal Authority presented the CEO with a plaque in Palo. There was a whirlwind of pictures, then they were whisked off the ship as quickly as they'd come aboard.

66.jpg

67.jpg

pc5.jpg
worldmaritimenews.com

Last edited:
With a little time before ballroom dancing, James and I headed out to deck 4 as we went through the last lock. It had finally stopped raining.

68.jpg

69.jpg

70.jpg

Then it was off to Azure to spend a half hour with Willem and Natalia.

71.jpg

For dinner, we were back in Tiana's Place with the Panama Canal Menu.

72.jpg

73.jpg

Both James and the kids started with the crab legs.

74.jpg

I had the cream of cauliflower soup.

75.jpg

For my main course, I had the morel mushroom pasta with chicken. It was good, but not as good as I'd remembered it from my previous PC cruise.

76.jpg

Both of the kids had lobster tails. They couldn't wait for me to take a picture before they dug in.

77.jpg

James had both the prime rib and a lobster tail. He couldn't wait for me to take a picture either.

78.jpg

For dessert, I couldn't decide what I wanted, so I ordered three: Flan (which was good, but mine is better)

79.jpg

Churros (which I didn't care for, but I've never been a fan of churros. I keep thinking I'll change my mind. James enjoyed them, though.)

80.jpg

and finally, the Tres Leches. This was fabulous! I wish I'd had room for another one.

82.jpg

All of my gluttony on display.

83.jpg

The kids, no surprise, had sundaes.

81.jpg

After dinner, it was time to dance again. I can't tell you how much we enjoyed all of the extra ballroom dance opportunities they offered on this cruise. I hope they continue to offer similar opportunities in the future. Do you hear that DCL? Willem and Natalia are incredible!

84.jpg

Having danced off at least one of my desserts, we went to the Walt Disney Theater to watch Gary Lovini. Gary Lovini was the original Lindsay Sterling. Like Lindsay, he was a violinist who won a television talent show in England in the 1980's. Since then, he's claimed international fame, including performing for the Queen of England. He certainly lived up to his reputation. Prior to his performance, I'd never heard of 21 Pilots. However, his rendition of one of their songs gave me goosebumps.

85.jpg

Energized by Gary's performance, we decided to distribute Fish Extender gifts. Time to play Santa. Ho, ho, ho!

86.jpg

When we returned to our cabin, this was waiting for us on our bed. Tomorrow night was Emily's overnight Coast 2 Coast Campout. She would be thrilled to see this.

87.jpg

We dropped off a few items in the cabin and headed back to the Walt Disney Theater to watch John Charles' adult performance. He was as entertaining as he was on our prior PC cruise. So much fun!

88.jpg

Following the show, we headed up to deck 9 to refill our beverage containers. It was a gorgeous, though windy, night. We went up to deck 10 for a better view. We were surrounded by ships. They were beautiful. The skyline looked like Christmas. Unfortunately, this photograph doesn't do the view justice.

89.jpg
When we got our fill outside, we collected the children and returned to our cabin for the night. Emily made me a beautiful bouquet of flowers.

90.jpg

By midnight, we all nestled into bed, ready to call it a night. Who knew making history would be so exhausting? ;)

91.jpg

Sunday, April 30, Sea Day

1.1.jpg

1.2.jpg

With the most exhilarating event of the trip and the first half of the cruise behind us, James and I woke and opted to leave the children sleeping, while we enjoyed a peaceful breakfast in Triton's.

I started with a coconut/pineapple muffin, a fruit plate, and mango hike.

1.jpg

For my main course, I had the eggs benedict with smoked salmon in place of the Canadian Bacon.

2.jpg

James had scrambled eggs, hash browns, bacon, ham, and sausage.

3.jpg

We returned to our cabin to find this. What could possibly wake these sleepy-heads?

4.jpg

The scent of the hot, delicious breakfast from Cabana's James and I obtained for them. What nice parents we are!

5.jpg

I love seeing parents like you :thanks: it's a small thing, but those add up quickly

Once the kids were up and fed, James and I headed to the D Lounge for Anyone Can Cook. Today a chef from The Crystal Palace in the Magic Kingdom made Jambalaya.

pic.jpg

7.jpg

A Jambalaya expert stopped by to share her opinion.

9.jpg

It was delicious!

8.jpg

We left the D Lounge and attempted to read on Deck 4. The weather had other plans.

10.jpg

Discovering it was simply to wet to sit outside, James and I sought refuge in the Crown & Fin Pub.

11.1.jpg

We found comfy seats in the corner and settled in.

pic2.jpg

Before long, a server came by with these lovely fruit kebabs.

12.jpg

Before I knew it, it was time to head to Animator's Palate for the Oil and Vinegar Seminar. We arrived a tad late, so we had a table all to ourselves.

13.jpg

The 8 year old balsamic vinegar was absolutely scrumptious! James insisted I take a picture of the brand in case we wanted to buy some when we got home.

14.jpg

We left Animator's Palate, collected the children for lunch, and made our way to Triton's.

15.jpg

16.jpg

After reading the menu, Jimmy decided he'd rather have pizza from deck 9. He quickly ran upstairs for his meal and returned to join us. For those of you wondering why he didn't just order the pizza off the children's menu, the pizza ordered in the dining rooms and the pizza offered on deck are not the same. According to Jimmy, the children's pizzas offered in the dining rooms are "just gross." He loved the deck 9 pizza, however. James would agree.

17.jpg

18.jpg

I started with the spanakopita, primarily because I wanted to know what it was. It turned out they were little pastries filled with spinach and other veggies. They were delicious! I would definitely order spanakopita again.

19.jpg

James started with the bresola and prosciutto.

20.jpg

For my main course, I had the pork medallions. They were good.

21.jpg

Both Emily and James had the swordfish. They both gave it a raving thumbs up.

22.jpg

For dessert, I had the coconut crème pie. It was good but a little dry.

23.jpg

The rest of my crew all had sundaes.

24.jpg

After a lovely lunch, the kids ran off to play, while James and I went to Azure to learn to Tango. This was one of our favorite dances. We had a great time. We visited with friends for a couple of hours after class then headed up to deck 9 for a snack. It was still raining. Outside, everything was gray.

25.jpg

26.jpg

What's the best cure for a gray, rainy day? Colorful ice cream! It looks like strawberry/mango.

27.jpg

James opted for pizza instead.

28.jpg

Deck 9 was quiet with a pleasant breeze, so we found seats protected from the weather and read for awhile.

29.jpg

We stopped by the cabin briefly before dinner and discovered that Nan had changed the kids' sheets in anticipation of the Coast to Coast campout tonight. Emily had Frozen, while Jimmy had The Good Dinosaur. I just love little extra touches like this! Its what makes DCL so special.

30.jpg

This evening we had dinner in Triton's with the California menu. This was one of my favorite menus on our last PC cruise. Once again, it did not disappoint!

While we waited for our meals, Emily decided to turn the Incredibles into zombie vampires.

31.jpg

Our service team looked so handsome this evening, I just had to take their pictures.

Levy

32.jpg

Putu

33.1.jpg

and Englebert.

33.2.jpg

Onto the menu...

33.jpg

34.jpg

James and I started with the potato croquettes. These were delicious dipped in the sun-dried tomato dip served with the bread. Yum!

35.jpg

I also had the marinated artichokes. These were sooooo good!

36.jpg

All four children at our table insisted that I take a picture of the "butt-bun."

37.jpg

For my soup and salad course, I had the butternut squash soup - another delectable choice.

38.jpg

Emily had the cod and linguini. She like the linguini but not the fish. I sampled the cod and thought it was good.

39.jpg

Jimmy and I had the mushroom ravioli. It was as good as I remembered.

40.jpg

James had the beef tenderloin.

41.jpg

Even though I was beyond full, I couldn't pass on dessert.

42.jpg

The kids ordered (**big surprise**) sundaes.

43.jpg

I had both the citrus cheesecake...

44.jpg

and the pear tart. Both were lovely.

45.jpg

James had the chocolate cake and his usual bowl of ice cream.

46.jpg

Conclusion: California menu night is one you definitely want to enjoy in the main dining room.

After dinner, James and I scampered off to Azure for ballroom dancing, while the kids went to their clubs. We enjoyed dance as we always did then went to the Walt Disney Theater to see Chuck Wagner perform.

47.jpg

th.jpg
imgarcade.com

Chuck was the original "Beast" from Beauty and the Beast on Broadway among numerous other notable roles. He's had a long, distinguished Broadway career. Hearing him sing removed any doubt as to why this is the case. What a powerful voice! It was a real joy watching him perform.

We left the theater and collected Emily. It was time to get her ready for her campout. We gathered her things from our cabin and took her to the Oceaneer club where she would spend the night. She was so excited!

48.jpg

We left Emily in good hands and went to Azure for Krazy Karaoke. For the sake of everyone present, we didn't sing. We skipped out before the end in order to watch Gary Lovini's adult performance in the Walt Disney Theater. His adult show was even more entertaining than his family show. What an incredible talent!

49.jpg

We left Gary's performance in high spirits. We went up to deck 9 to refill our drink containers and wander a bit before we called it a night. I updated my notes and James watched TV until Jimmy returned at midnight. Then it was time for bed. We'd have to be up early to pick up our camper.

50.jpg

Up Next: The foxtrot, formal night, and Frozen!

Monday, May 1, Sea Day

nav22.jpg

nav21.jpg

The alarm clock went off at 7:50am in order for us to pick up Emily from her campout at 8am. My wonder husband was kind and offered to get her. While I lazily lingered in bed, he and Emily joined our tablemates for breakfast in Cabanas. Emily kept falling asleep at the breakfast table, so James hurried the meal along and returned to the cabin. She went comatose the instant her head hit her pillow.

With the kids down for the count, James opted to join me for breakfast. We returned to Cabanas. It was another gray, rainy morning.

1.jpg

We lingered in Cabanas enjoying the food and conversation until it was time for...

2.jpg

Anyone Can Cook in the D Lounge. Today, the chef made Mediterranean Chicken. This was so easy to make and so good. I will definitely make this at home.

3.jpg

4.jpg

We left the D Lounge and returned to our cabin to check on the kids. They were sound asleep, so we went down to the atrium. James wanted another chance to try his hand at Chip-it Golf. Needless to say, neither of us made it to the second round, but it was fun.

5.jpg

6.jpg

After Chip-it Golf, we returned to the cabin. It was lunch time, so we thought it best to wake the kids. They were exhausted! The long, active days had caught up with them. We all vowed to go to bed early tonight. We made another vow stick to it this time. :)

In getting Emily ready for the day, she asked me to do her hair in anticipation of Frozen tonight. She may be dressed like Jasmine, but she looks like a little Elsa to me.

7.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter