Making a runner: Asheley's training journal (Comments Welcome!)

TEN MILES!!! I RAN TEN MILES!!!

My pace was beyond my wildest dreams even a month ago (14:24/mile). But the last few miles were HARD. It started great. I've been 3/2 run/walk for everything, built up to that as part of the return to sport after the hip fracture. And since Galloway is right, I do get a better pace when I walk some, I'm sticking with it for now. The first 7 miles were great, including an incidental PR 10k. By mile 8 I had to switch to 2/3, then 1/4 at mile 9. By mile 10, I was really struggling, and walked most of it. Legs heavy and brain foggy.

I know some of this is simply improving fitness. But I also suspect I need to fuel better. I'm heavy (225 pounds), which Strava calculates to 2000 calories for the run. Maybe one pack of GU blocks (160 calories) is just not enough energy to keep me going? I'm sure @DopeyBadger has an exact way to calculate exactly what I need! Would love any advice (on fueling or other things I can do to help this.)

Thanks for the support, everyone!

Congrats on the 10 miler! It is a very exciting accomplishment!

Congratulations on 10 miles! There's great info in this journal, and inspiration, too!

It's awesome seeing how you are progressing - did you ever think you would be able to run 10 miles when you started out?

I find when going for runs longer than an hour it is worth lugging around water, particularly if there aren't any convenient stops on the way. I use a Camelback running back pack - it's really small and light and holds around 1.5L, though I rarely put more than a litre in there. I feel much better for longer. It's also useful if weather is inclement for storing a bit of extra kit. I usually just run with water, though in a race I will drink Powerade etc.

I think apart from hydration your issue will just be your body getting used to the extra distance - that's one of the reasons we train! I well remember my first half, really struggling towards the end because I simply had not done enough long runs. Same problem for my first full - it's like you need to go through the pain to really understand why getting those long runs in is sooo important.

You will get a boost on race day with the excitement of it all - just remember to pay close attention to your pace and don't go too fast too early. Make sure you have a plan and try to stick to it - use your long training runs for a bit of practice. My marathons were before I got my Garmin so did mental arithmetic keeping track of my pace - I found this a good way to kill the time!

Keep up the good work - it looks like you have a really good base that you can continue to build on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts