Makeover of Tomorrowland?

I love Tomorrowland! I agree it could use a little revamping, but I would be sad if they changed it all!

I agree about Stitch. That attraction is atrocious! I loved it when it was the Alien show, scared the poo out of me, but the Stitch one is a waste, and we LOVE Stitch.
We love Buzz! Once we figured out how to get a high score it really improved the game for us. I used to compare it to TSMM and that was part of the problem. It cannot compare to TSMM, and I'm okay with that now.
I love the Laugh Floor! That is something we do multiple times every trip. I'm hoping one day that one of us gets chosen, and I would love it if DH was "That Guy". I love the corny jokes, and it's just so much fun!
CoP is a classic, and I don't do it every trip but I would be heartbroken if they ever got rid of it.
Speedway - I think they need to update that one drastically, but it's so popular still I don't see a big change any time soon. I would love to see them do a Wreck-It Ralph update, oh how cute would that be?!
Space Mountain - I did that last trip and I won't do it again. Almost lost my lunch, but I don't do rollercoasters anyway. I love the PM. When I was a kid, that was my SM and I loved that I got to ride that 3 or 4 times (at least) while my dad and sister rode SM.
We rarely eat at Cosmic Ray's, but I think it's cute.

Tomorrowland is probably the area we spend the most time in, especially at night, because I love the way it looks and feels.

Yeah, gotta disagree with the original poster here. Tomorrowland probably needs more attention than most other parts of the park, but it is definitely not the wreck that OP describes. I covet the idea of turning the speedway into a Wreck-it-Ralph attraction! I can almost see those Sugar Rush racers and all the theming in my head; and it makes a perfect transition from Tomorrowland to Fantasyland. A modern version of the original attraction that was in the Stitch space would be great - something akin to mission space without all the spinning. COP is untouchable. Buzz is dated, but it's still a great, fun ride and a huge crowd muncher. Monsters seems a little out of place here, but it is such a Disney attraction. Where else would you put it, because I'm not willing to scrap it. SM? Well, my back and neck would be happy to never have to experience that ride again but people love it.

It really is bad from top to bottom:
Stitch - Horrible attraction;
Buzz - Way outdated, can't even see what you're shooting at. Nothing but a bunch of black lights;
Comedy show - Complete waist of prime real estate;
Carousel of Progress - No comment even needed here;
Indy Speedway - Besides the hole in the Ozone and carcinogens from all of the smoke - Needs a major upgrade in technology;
Space Mountain - Disney refurbed Space Mt. several years ago and they might as well have done nothing at all. It still breaks down ALL of the time. Disneyland refurbed their Space Mt. at the same time and they created a great attraction. WDW pretty much just put on a low budget coat of paint.

I know they're concentrating on DHS now, but to us, it's become a major waist of time.

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed... hope you're having a better day today.

My family personally loves Tomorrowland, with the exception of Stitch and the speedway. I don't understand why the speedway hasn't been updated, it is horrible.

Yeah, I have to totally disagree with you. We love Tomorrowland and the kitschy feel of it all. The only thing I would change is the speedway which is annoying to me with the smell and noise and the fact that everyone pretty much has go carts within a driving distance at home so they seem kind of pointless to me but some folks like them.

Geez where is the love? I am still hoping that Stitch survives I like it, we love Laugh Inc catch it every trip, we love Buzz as well and as for the cars my daughter still talks about the 1st time she got to drive dad around when she was 5. And as for COP maybe update the very last scene but leave the rest alone. Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't COP the last or nearly so attraction that Walt himself designed?

Speedway is definitely the weak point, so I will elaborate on changes I would like to see.

• All electric vehicles with a more futuristic look to them. This would eliminate the noise and fumes. Also, the EVs could be programmed to never bump each other (I know, that's part of the fun to some).
  • Add futuristic props to the sides of the tracks. Add themed signs pointing out sights. like Space Mountain and TRON (once it is there).
  • Add a covered-in tunnel with "super speed" type projections on that straight part before the last turn.
That'd do it. Speedway would become a must-ride in my mind as opposed to something I never do. The only problem with this would be capacity as demand would go up. I don't see it being feasible to add more lanes. Well, still, I say go for it. TRON will be sucking all the people in anyway, right?

Buzz - Way outdated, can't even see what you're shooting at. Nothing but a bunch of black lights;
Indy Speedway - Besides the hole in the Ozone and carcinogens from all of the smoke - Needs a major upgrade in technology;
Space Mountain - Disney refurbed Space Mt. several years ago and they might as well have done nothing at all. It still breaks down ALL of the time. Disneyland refurbed their Space Mt. at the same time and they created a great attraction. WDW pretty much just put on a low budget coat of paint.

I know they're concentrating on DHS now, but to us, it's become a major waist of time.

I think this is in the eye of the beholder.

Stitch is already closed
Buzz . . could use an update, but it is still a very popular ride, and we enjoy it
Comedy show, I personally think is pretty cool. They could update the jokes a bit, but I like it.
Carousel of Progress is actually one of my favorite attractions in MK
Indy Speedway certainly could use an update in technology, but the kids absolutely love it

I don't find Tomorrowland to be at all a waste of time. We still enjoy the speedway, Buzz, the Carousel of Progress, and the people mover

Speedway is definitely the weak point, so I will elaborate on changes I would like to see.

• All electric vehicles with a more futuristic look to them. This would eliminate the noise and fumes. Also, the EVs could be programmed to never bump each other (I know, that's part of the fun to some).
  • Add futuristic props to the sides of the tracks. Add themed signs pointing out sights. like Space Mountain and TRON (once it is there).
  • Add a covered-in tunnel with "super speed" type projections on that straight part before the last turn.
That'd do it. Speedway would become a must-ride in my mind as opposed to something I never do. The only problem with this would be capacity as demand would go up. I don't see it being feasible to add more lanes. Well, still, I say go for it. TRON will be sucking all the people in anyway, right?

Yes, I love those ideas. As much as I love Tomorrowland, including the Speedway, I agree the Speedway is outdated. I have no idea why it's left like that...I'm sure it's a combination of things (budget, nostalgia, it's still popular, etc...). I wonder how feasible EVs would be. I can't imagine that batteries would last all that long, so it would require constant cycling out of the cars. I'm sure it can be done, but at what complexity and cost. One upside about the existing cars is those little lawnmower engines are tough as nails, and have to be considering the beating they take. From what I understand, they also have a very large fuel tank, so they don't have to refill them every few hours.

Yes, I love those ideas. As much as I love Tomorrowland, including the Speedway, I agree the Speedway is outdated. I have no idea why it's left like that...I'm sure it's a combination of things (budget, nostalgia, it's still popular, etc...). I wonder how feasible EVs would be. I can't imagine that batteries would last all that long, so it would require constant cycling out of the cars. I'm sure it can be done, but at what complexity and cost. One upside about the existing cars is those little lawnmower engines are tough as nails, and have to be considering the beating they take. From what I understand, they also have a very large fuel tank, so they don't have to refill them every few hours.

Well, I don't know how it works, but Test Track cars run a much more rigorous course than Speedway would be and they are electric. I think they charge when they pull in for load/unload. They put a lot of strain on those things.

Then again, Test Track does break down all the time.... :rolleyes:

I love Tomorrowland, though I didn't really like it when they shoved all the IP in there. It should have tried to remain a "tie in" to Space Mountain with attractions that make it feel like a space port. Why they don't try and fit in Miles from Tomorrowland somewhere is beyond me.

Buzz though, is my son's favorite ride. It is just a cool ride (whether outdated or not) for a preschooler. We have gone on it every trip (sometimes multiple times).

The speedway .. same thing .. while cheesy, outdated and smelly to us adults .. it is truly magical to those preschoolers (age 3-6) that get to "drive" their own car! It just COULD be a lot more.

COP - a classic .. my son liked it on the last trip as it was educational to him and we ALL were singing the awesome song all trip long!

Monster's Inc. -- would probably be better suited to a smaller venue like Turtle Talk is and could use that space for a much bigger attraction.

Stitch? I would have taken my son on it if it was open on my last trip, but earlier trips he was too small (and would have been too scared). I think it is a fun "one and done" attraction for what it is, but glad to see it being replaced.

I completely disagree, not a waste of time at all. Though, certainly, Cosmic Ray's can be bad for your waistline. ;)

Stitch - gone.

Buzz - a bit challenging, yes, but once you get the hang of it, it's a great deal of fun. And it's easy to find times when there's little to no line, meaning you can often ride repeatedly and attempt to improve your score. It also doesn't hurt your arm the way TSM can (even given the chance, we will rarely ride TSM more than twice, due to the sore-arm issue). I have very fond memories of riding Buzz over and over and over again with my husband, each of us trying to hit that to score (and even succeeding once!). I'm married to a Galactic Hero! :laughing:

Monster's Inc Comedy Show - not a "every visit" attraction, but still fun. We do it every three visits or so, and every time we end up saying, "Hey, that was better than I remembered! Why don't we do this more often?"

Carousel of Progress - LOVE this one, and I never want to see it replaced. Iconic. I just wish they'd ditch that lame 90's final scene and give us back the original 60's one.

Indy Speedway - never ridden it, because it smells too bad. But, the little children seem to really enjoy it. I think they should switch over to electric cars.

Space Mountain - I can't ride this one. Tried right after the last refurb, and got off with a pounding headache. I like coasters, but this one rattles me around too much. On the other hand, lots of other people love it, so I don't begrudge them this. Personally, I like to enjoy Space Mountain from the comfort of the PeopleMover. Which, by the way, is one of our absolute Must Dos. Preferably at night.

The Astro Orbitor was a surprise hit with us. We avoided it for years, because my husband normally hates rides that go around in circles. But, finally I convinced him to try it, and wow - what a view! Plus, it's slow enough that it doesn't bother my husband. Just have to try to grab it when the line's short.

In summary, I think Tomorrowland is a beautiful land. I like the design, and I love the overall retro aesthetic. There's a wide variety of attractions to appeal to many different people. Sure there's things you can improve, but that's true of all aspects of the parks. I think it's overly harsh to call it a waste (or "waist" ;)) of space.

14-Ways-to-Relax-at-Walt-Disney-World-0a825c0a54584dd687ed3084ca30edcc.jpg

So pretty! :lovestruc

When I first read this, I thought "A Makeover? They just did a major makeover of Tomorrowland a few years ago". But thinking more about it, I realize that was back in 1996 or so. Time flies-bring on a makeover!

I adore Tomorrowland, It's cheesy and magical all at the same time.
Whenever I get the Disney blues I automatically play Tomorrowland music.

-People mover is a Gem. the perfect ride to escape from the madness and relax.

- stitch is atrocious. I am shocked that a place like DW has a “ride” like stich, not up to their standards.

- Buzz can use an upgrade but it’s a people eater so definitely needed.

-COP is a classic, don’t mess with anything Walt touched.

- speedway needs to be revamped ASAP. I do not see them putting in Tron without fixing speedway up.

-Laugh floor is a must do for us and we’re adults. We find the jokes funny and always have a good time.
If they do take the theater out, maybe clone the ride at DCA?

-Space mountain: Another ride I don’t see Disney leaving as is. There will most likely be a refurb before the 50th celebration.

-Cosmic Rays is a lot better with mobile ordering. no more crazy lines.

Well, I don't know how it works, but Test Track cars run a much more rigorous course than Speedway would be and they are electric. I think they charge when they pull in for load/unload. They put a lot of strain on those things.

Then again, Test Track does break down all the time.... :rolleyes:

Yeah, I've thought of that too. I'd love to know the technical side behind those. I'd guess they're powered by something in the track, so they have continual electric power supply like an electric train....where I'd imagine the Speedway would need battery operated cars...like a mini version of a Nissan Leaf or Tesla. But I'm not sure.

I know where the OP is coming from. While there are rides there that i like, a few do need to go(IMO).

The speedway occupies too much space only to offer an experience that can be found anywhere that has a go cart track.
I know COP has a cult following but anytime I've ever been on it, it was near empty. I only ride it to get out of the rain. Its a good way to avoid a 20 minute Florida shower.
Stitch....

Laugh floor and buzz I could take or leave. TSMM is what makes Buzz look bad.
I enjoy SM and Astro and People Mover is one of my favorites.

I think the whole theme of tomorrowland is suppose to be a funky retro what we believed the future would be back in the 70s/80s not what we NOW think the future would be..

Exactly.

Tomorrowland used to be my least favorite, but it's grown on me. My family always enjoys the Laugh Floor and Buzz. (Of course, we've never made it to TSMM, so we aren't comparing.) I got some great photos from the people Mover once we finally made time for it, and I agree with keeping COP for Walt's sake. I've never been on the Speedway, so the only thing I really hate is Stitch.

I really dig the kitschy "this is what we think the future looks like" feel of the land.

^This. Tomorrowland is glorious. We LOVE COP and will not miss it. The PPM is hilarious and we love it. It's not to be missed. The astro-orbiter is fantastic at night. Our kid isn't old enough for SM yet but I love seeing it. We also don't care for Stitch but we don't typically do everything in every land when we visit.

All it needs is some shade. Like a tree or two wouldn't kill them.

I'm on the fence about the speedway. It's not a must-do for us but it's classic and I like classic rides. I hate hate so many attractions are moving indoors. I like to see and feel the hustle and bustle of the rides. I don't like when everything is indoors like at Epcot (if that makes any sense).

Great smoothies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter