Make-up Mirror at SSR 1BR?

bwvBound

DVC SSR & other timeshare
We are presently at SSR in a 1BR Std-view unit. I'm quite surprised that the room lacks a make-up mirror. Is this just SSR or is it also happening across the resorts? I know we've had them in other DVC locations ...

We are presently at SSR in a 1BR Std-view unit. I'm quite surprised that the room lacks a make-up mirror. Is this just SSR or is it also happening across the resorts? I know we've had them in other DVC locations ...

They're getting added back to resorts that never had them (SSR for one I believe) and to resorts that had them removed during a refurb. I'd guess that SSR will get them in the refurb they have started there.

I don't remember seeing one at OKW in a one bedroom this weekend.

re: OKW
Missing there, too? Ugh.

While I feel the condition of our present unit at SSR is acceptable, I feel strongly that it is comprised in terms of usability, layout and amenities.
  • The missing make-up mirror is really bugging me.
  • No rack for hanging the hand towel near the "make-up" sink (that is, the sink near the jetted tub with a bit of surface space for my kit). As it is, I'm hanging the hand towel from a wall lamp.
  • Shallow drawers and cubbies surrounding the "make-up" sink. (So shallow I can't fit my hairbrush inside the drawer? So shallow that a simple eye-shadow tray exceeds the depth? Useless)
  • No closet to speak of ... and what space is considered closet was completely overwhelmed with "their stuff" (the vacuum, the extra bedding pods, the crib, etc). The closet is also so shallow that the few hangers provided don't actually fit within the confines of the closet walls but exceed the space by a half inch. On arrival, we had to pull their stuff out and leave them in the foyer to greet us on entry every day. Ugh. (Most other units we've stayed at had two closets: Cleaning stuff in the foyer closet and ample space off the bedroom. This unit has only a tiny closet off the bedroom and it simply doesn't work.)
  • The 'shallow drawer' is also in the kitchen. The drawers are so shallow that the flatware is placed sideways as it can't fit in the normal direction. What were the designer's thinking??
  • Missing kitchen items. This unit has no spatula which bugs us as we are making the eggs ... but not enough to stop whatever we are doing to make the call housekeeping.
  • Uncomfortable pullout couch. I tried sleeping on it one night as the bedroom was too warm. That thing is rock-hard.
This isn't what I expected from DVC's design staff. I'm sad to say that DVC is, once-again, my least favorite timeshare ... it just doesn't live up to its pretentious, pushy sales image. It has "location, location, location" but is otherwise a cheap, compromised timeshare unit. Deluxe? No way.

Last edited:
This isn't what I expected from DVC's design staff. I'm sad to say that DVC is, once-again, my least favorite timeshare ... it just doesn't live up to its pretentious, pushy sales image. It has "location, location, location" but is otherwise a cheap, compromised timeshare unit. Deluxe? No way.

We only own DVC because of the location at the parks. And it's not any different really than their hotel rooms. They've coasted on the location for a very, very, very long time.

After experiences with master bathroom lighting at BLT, the shower head at POR (as well as other hotels not at WDW), and other room design problems, I believe that room design staff and upper level executives should have to spend a week in a complete model room before the design is approved.

After experiences with master bathroom lighting at BLT, the shower head at POR (as well as other hotels not at WDW), and other room design problems, I believe that room design staff and upper level executives should have to spend a week in a complete model room before the design is approved.

Supposedly a tour of the Bungalows by Iger elicited a change in the carpet. And GF is getting all redone after Chapek visited. If they spent a night in a room at SSR? :rotfl: Of course you know they wouldn't get a room that hadn't been checked and rechecked and then checked again prior to their arrival.

re: OKW
Missing there, too? Ugh.

While I feel the condition of our present unit at SSR is acceptable, I feel strongly that it is comprised in terms of usability, layout and amenities.
  • The missing make-up mirror is really bugging me.
  • No rack for hanging the hand towel near the "make-up" sink (that is, the sink near the jetted tub with a bit of surface space for my kit). As it is, I'm hanging the hand towel from a wall lamp.
  • Shallow drawers and cubbies surrounding the "make-up" sink. (So shallow I can't fit my hairbrush inside the drawer? So shallow that a simple eye-shadow tray exceeds the depth? Useless)
  • No closet to speak of ... and what space is considered closet was completely overwhelmed with "their stuff" (the vacuum, the extra bedding pods, the crib, etc). The closet is also so shallow that the few hangers provided don't actually fit within the confines of the closet walls but exceed the space by a half inch. On arrival, we had to pull their stuff out and leave them in the foyer to greet us on entry every day. Ugh. (Most other units we've stayed at had two closets: Cleaning stuff in the foyer closet and ample space off the bedroom. This unit has only a tiny closet off the bedroom and it simply doesn't work.)
  • The 'shallow drawer' is also in the kitchen. The drawers are so shallow that the flatware is placed sideways as it can't fit in the normal direction. What were the designer's thinking??
  • Missing kitchen items. This unit has no spatula which bugs us as we are making the eggs ... but not enough to stop whatever we are doing to make the call housekeeping.
  • Uncomfortable pullout couch. I tried sleeping on it one night as the bedroom was too warm. That thing is rock-hard.
I really missed the drawers in the bathroom at OKW last weekend. And the cubbies are really shallow. The mirror by the sink near the tub had a really bright light, as well as the overhead light in the bathroom. What I didn't like was being unable to turn the shower on without getting wet. The handheld was switched on and it shot out the door and soaked the floor. The rain shower head wasn't level because of the pipe used to connect it to the shower controls. So it also shoots out the door when you turn it on to get the water to warm up. The controls to turn on the water wasn't on the side near the door like the showers at BCV, BWV, BRV. Plus they hang the tub mat inside the shower. They need to install a towel bar on the outside of the shower for the tub mat. The new bathrooms were pretty, but not all that functional. I wish they would put up a few more towel bars in the shower room.
DSC03640.JPGDSC03642.JPG

The little corner shelf is what I really missed from the renovation. I always put my hair dryer on this shelf. Unless I put it right on the counter top where it will get wet, none of the nooks are big enough.
DSC04158-1.JPG

@Deb & Bill, Wow! Those are shallow cubbies. And for what purpose? Where did the space go?
Yes, I agree on the need for the towel bars and would miss the corner shelf.

Sorry, I think the new "gray is the new cheery color" plan is missing the mark.

@Deb & Bill, Wow! Those are shallow cubbies. And for what purpose? Where did the space go?
Yes, I agree on the need for the towel bars and would miss the corner shelf.

Sorry, I think the new "gray is the new cheery color" plan is missing the mark.
I know they are shallow. I wonder what they did with the space behind them. The space directly under the sink must be piping, but there isn't that much piping to have it run behind the entire cabinet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter