jade'nsuch

Mouseketeer
I just found out today that my cousin is being granted a wish, and she chose a Disney cruise! This is such an extraordinary gift and I've got so much secondhand excitement that I need to direct it to something useful, so I've taken to the boards. I've never been on a Disney cruise, but I was wondering if there is anything not to be missed by her and her family. It will be her (9ish? I'm honestly not sure), her siblings (older brother, 14ish, older sister, 13ish, and little brother, 3ish), and their parents.

What, if anything, can y'all tell me about a cruise? I'm not sure her mom knows much about it yet, but I wanted to help her be as prepared as possible. I'm pretty sure they're up for trying anything. I'll try to keep the post updated as she learns more info.

We went on our first cruise (Eastbound Panama Canal for 14 days) with kids/gkids and knew nothing about what to expect. We let the magic come to us. First, I would look over the DCL web site thoroughly...lots of info there about what is available. I would check YouTube, too. There are lots of videos about what to expect, prepare for, tours of ships, etc...maybe too many. When you board there are open houses in the kids clubs, tours of the ship and time to orient yourselves to the ship. A daily Navigator (newsletter) is your guide to the next days activities. Assuming that Make a Wish (awesome organization, by the way) is making this cruise available because your cousin has a medical issue. If appropriate, I would let DCL know what it is so that they can adapt and make the cruise extra special (pixie dust is their specialty). They have seen/experienced just about every situation, disability. and even service dogs. Check your library for books on Disney Cruises, too. As you have done, if you have a question that is a real puzzler, put it on the DisBoard boards. Best of luck!!!

The best advice is "You cannot do it all."

There is physically no way to do it all, and the earlier that gets into your head the better. By and large the people who have not good cruises are the ones who try to do everything - and end up exhausted and frustrated.

A cruise does not take nearly the planning that a trip to the parks does. Basically decide if you want to do excursions or whatnot, book those at the time, and relax and enjoy.

Go over to Disneycruiseblog.com and look at The daily Navigators to get an idea of whats in store for them.
Do you know any of the details such as which ship,what port, how many days yet?
They will love the cruise, not hectic like the parks can be.

There are plenty of people here willing to help with any questions you may have!

Congrats to your cousin on her WISH!

Do you know if there was a particular itinerary she requested, or just "a cruise" - if there is a port(s) of interest, they will want to research excursions. Depending on your cousin's needs, accessibility can be a challenge in some of the ports, so they'll want to choose an accessible excursion.

Onboard - does she have a special diet or other medical needs? Her mom or dad can submit the Special Services Information Form as far ahead as possible. And if they have questions, the folks at the Special Services department have always been wonderful: Phone: (407) 566-3602 Email: SpecialServices@disneycruise.com

Feel free to ask any specific questions the family has!

We went on our first cruise (Eastbound Panama Canal for 14 days) with kids/gkids and knew nothing about what to expect. We let the magic come to us. First, I would look over the DCL web site thoroughly...lots of info there about what is available. I would check YouTube, too. There are lots of videos about what to expect, prepare for, tours of ships, etc...maybe too many. When you board there are open houses in the kids clubs, tours of the ship and time to orient yourselves to the ship. A daily Navigator (newsletter) is your guide to the next days activities. Assuming that Make a Wish (awesome organization, by the way) is making this cruise available because your cousin has a medical issue. If appropriate, I would let DCL know what it is so that they can adapt and make the cruise extra special (pixie dust is their specialty). They have seen/experienced just about every situation, disability. and even service dogs. Check your library for books on Disney Cruises, too. As you have done, if you have a question that is a real puzzler, put it on the DisBoard boards. Best of luck!!!
Thanks so much for the help! Youtube completely escaped my mind so I'll have to remember to tell her to search around on there.

Go over to Disneycruiseblog.com and look at The daily Navigators to get an idea of whats in store for them.
Do you know any of the details such as which ship,what port, how many days yet?
They will love the cruise, not hectic like the parks can be.

There are plenty of people here willing to help with any questions you may have!
She knows almost nothing yet, except that they'll be going during the second week of December, if I'm not mistaken haha. I'll have to tell her about the blog since I know she's big on reading up on trips and such. Thank you so much for the help!

Congrats to your cousin on her WISH!

Do you know if there was a particular itinerary she requested, or just "a cruise" - if there is a port(s) of interest, they will want to research excursions. Depending on your cousin's needs, accessibility can be a challenge in some of the ports, so they'll want to choose an accessible excursion.

Onboard - does she have a special diet or other medical needs? Her mom or dad can submit the Special Services Information Form as far ahead as possible. And if they have questions, the folks at the Special Services department have always been wonderful: Phone: (407) 566-3602 Email: SpecialServices@disneycruise.com

Feel free to ask any specific questions the family has!
She has no special medical needs or dietary restrictions or anything of that sort, just "a little cancer" (her words) so she'll be up for, and able, to do anything.

Thank you all so so much for the help, they truly appreciate it

Oooooh, a Merrytime Cruise. How exciting. (Christmas is my favorite time of year). The ship will be decorated for Christmas. There will be a Gingerbread house making session. Definitely have her sign up for that.

When she finds out more about her cruise, have her join her cruise group ("Disney Cruise Meets" at the top of this forum). Maybe look into joining the Fish Extender exchange which is an organized gift exchange.

This is wonderful news! Wish your cousin a magical cruise!! If she is into princesses, make sure to book the princess gathering in advance. Take advantage of the complimentary photo opportunities for family portraits on the ship. Pre-order a photo package at a discount before cruising.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!