Make a Wish (and other organizations) ~ Wish Trippers UNITE! Volume FIVE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally finished up our trip report from our MAW trip we took LAST April !! :woohoo:

Sorry it took so long .. but life happens !

I hope you'll check out our latest trip report from Disneyland !! (in progress ;) )

Thank you everyone who went through this journey with us and to all the Big Givers who kept my boys the best dressed and most occupied !! :thumbsup2

So...The ladies from make a wish came and it wasn't at all like I thought. The Dr thought it was an inappropriate wish for Talia, MAW actually wants to send her. So we are going to work around it and either convince our Dr otherwise or maybe check with one of her other ones. Still fighting, but at least its winnable.

So...The ladies from make a wish came and it wasn't at all like I thought. The Dr thought it was an inappropriate wish for Talia, MAW actually wants to send her. So we are going to work around it and either convince our Dr otherwise or maybe check with one of her other ones. Still fighting, but at least its winnable.

Oh no .. I hope you can work it out with the Dr !

Charolott -Sorry the Dr. isn't onboard with Talia's wish. Glad MAW still wants to send her. Praying you can get Dr. approval.

LittleEsMom - Don't freak out about the button. Perhaps your chapter just doesn't do them. Just ask your Wish Granter - sometimes they get buried at the bottom of bags or lost in cars. Say something like "I've seen pictures of kids on Wish trips wearing buttons - is that something this chapter does?" For all I know, your chapter might not do them or they might be on backorder or something.

Everyone else is spot on - the most important button you'll receive is the one at GKTW (and the other Wish Trip specific identifying marks they'll have on hand there).

2012bella13 - I very much enjoy being a wish granter. MaW covers a lot more of our costs than you might expect :) though I for sure have picked up some things out of pocket at times. The time commitment really varies - I try to balance several kids at once because the process can happen in fits and starts (rush of the initial paperwork, then a long process of waiting and planning, then the rush leading up to the wish itself). That means as long as my kids don't stack up heading out of town (or in town, for in town stuff), then I can juggle 3-5 depending on the type of wish.

As far as the breakfast thing, a family that went in December told me that the princesses came to breakfast one morning at GKTW - I don't know how accurate that is or if there are GKTW-specific princesses that did that (or if she saw someone in costume and assumed they were princesses).

As to a few of the more general questions - the amount of times you meet your wish granter(s) as well as a host of other things are determined by your specific chapter's policies. This can include things like additional people included in the wish, what specific wishes are available (I'm thinking cruises here), whether or not trips can be extended and a whole host of other things. One of the greatest strengths of MaW is its local chapters, since it allows us to maximize our resources by area and provide really, really personal service. But it also means what you read about someone else doing may not be applicable to your case. ;)

Jakentysmom said:
Kristy, so sorry about your DH and his job. hopefully he finds one REAL SOON!!! :hug:

Today starts our ONE MONTH COUNTDOWN :cool1::cheer2::banana::yay::rockband::dancer:

Eeeeeek! That's so exciting!

Moodyzblu said:
Finally finished up our trip report from our MAW trip we took LAST April !! :woohoo:

Sorry it took so long .. but life happens !

I hope you'll check out our latest trip report from Disneyland !! (in progress ;) )

Thank you everyone who went through this journey with us and to all the Big Givers who kept my boys the best dressed and most occupied !! :thumbsup2

I love your TRs! Thanks for doing them!

taliasmom said:

That sucks that the Dr is hesitant - after all, you should know your daughter best. Glad MAW is on board, and I hope you can either convince the Dr or find a different one.

JWCJ said:
That sucks that the Dr is hesitant - after all, you should know your daughter best. Glad MAW is on board, and I hope you can either convince the Dr or find a different one.

We have lots of Doctors, lol. We just Dont want to step on the toes of the first one if it can be helped. I think we'll be okay after we talk to them. I am glad MAW was cool, and feel a bit guilty about any negative thoughts I had. But you know what they say about the word "assume"...

taliasmom said:
We have lots of Doctors, lol. We just Dont want to step on the toes of the first one if it can be helped. I think we'll be okay after we talk to them. I am glad MAW was cool, and feel a bit guilty about any negative thoughts I had. But you know what they say about the word "assume"...

Sorry, "find" was definitely the wrong word. I meant more find one of your other ones....
Lol, I would have assumed the same as you did. I remember you mentioning the reaction at Disney commercials - could you film that and have MAW (or if necessary, you, I suppose) show your Dr?
I do remember reading a MAW PTR in which the child was essentially nonverbal - I'm on my phone, so can't find at the moment, but I believe the wish was to meet Cars at Disneyland. That might have some tips.

Did the doctor explain why he didn't think it was an appropriate wish? Sorry if u have already explain this, I am new to the board

nickmo06 said:
Did the doctor explain why he didn't think it was an appropriate wish? Sorry if u have already explain this, I am new to the board

Not really, the Dr always thinks Talia can't see, but she is far sighted, living with her its pretty obvious she can still see, not 20/20, but she still enjoys things. The only other concern I can think of would be the fear that we would put her on thrill rides, lol. I can't think of a better wish than gktw, and I would love to hear what the Dr would ?find more appropriate. Furthermore, Talia's condition isn't going to improve, we won't get to bring her back for a return trip in a few years, why deny her, its all about making great memories at this point, let us travel with her while we can. Grrr...well, meeting with the palliative team today, good folks, I think some understandings will be reached.

Not really, the Dr always thinks Talia can't see, but she is far sighted, living with her its pretty obvious she can still see, not 20/20, but she still enjoys things. The only other concern I can think of would be the fear that we would put her on thrill rides, lol. I can't think of a better wish than gktw, and I would love to hear what the Dr would ?find more appropriate. Furthermore, Talia's condition isn't going to improve, we won't get to bring her back for a return trip in a few years, why deny her, its all about making great memories at this point, let us travel with her while we can. Grrr...well, meeting with the palliative team today, good folks, I think some understandings will be reached.

This really bugs me .. I mean let the child enjoy this wonderful trip that is being offered to her. Even if you guys didn't do all the parks .. there is so much more to it than that. It's about being treated special and giving these kids special treatment. I sure hope you can discuss this with the Dr and convince him that this is something you want/need to do for your child. Lets us know how it goes ! (also, like a pp asked, what WOULD be appropriate ??)

Can one of you families from down south please adopt me? I have shovelled the driveway 3 times today. We got 6 inches of snow over the weekend, and are in the midst of getting another 12 inches. WHERE IS SPRING?!?!?!? :offtopic::cold::crazy2:

Hi I made my PTR report so now how do I post it on the MAKE A WISH Unite board and how do I post a new thread on that baord

You made a new thread with your PTR already? To post it here, just open the PTR thread and copy what's in the address bar at the top of your window. Then come here and paste it. Is that what you mean?

Or you can create a signature and put the link in it: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=39740655&postcount=470

Can one of you families from down south please adopt me? I have shovelled the driveway 3 times today. We got 6 inches of snow over the weekend, and are in the midst of getting another 12 inches. WHERE IS SPRING?!?!?!? :offtopic::cold::crazy2:

We're not much better here in New England! Our winter has been INSANE! I keep thinking to myself "only 38 days until FL!" And I actually left Florida and moved to this madness!

We're not much better here in New England! Our winter has been INSANE! I keep thinking to myself "only 38 days until FL!" And I actually left Florida and moved to this madness!

I moved here (Massachusetts) from Florida too .. what was I thinking ??
It's been such a horrid winter .. I am so ready for it to be over ! :sad1:

Kristy~ So sorry about DH's job. :scared: Things have got to start getting better, you all have been through so much. :grouphug:

Charlott~ Keep pushing, you are the parent and know your child the best. :goodvibes

Tomorrow is the official 14 day mark until we leave!!! :dance3::cheer2::cool1::yay::dance3::cheer2::cool1::yay:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!