MAJOR thanks to Rick, Matt and the Staff at Liberty Square

allwritemel

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone

Well, this is hard because I'm literally doing it blind ... I've also got to contact EPCOT guest services about this issue too ...

I returned from Walt Disney World last Saturday and have been too ill to post too - sadly there was a lot I didn't do while I was away (especially my surprise for my friend - next time!)

My health posed a few unexpected problems (primarily because someone didn't deliver the one thing that would have saved me from serious trouble - LUCOZADE, anyone?) My sugar level was dangerously low most of the time - as soon as the heat kicks in and I start 'walking' around, my sugar level drops. I bought a ton of those 60 fl oz bottles of glucose (pomegranate flavour) which they use but it didn't work for long and ate glucose sweets like they were going out of fashion - First Aid told me they can only check my blood - if they have to give me glucogel they are calling the paramedics ... next time, I'll have to take a separate case just for my lucozade - I can't go through that again. Ironically what saved me most were cake decorations made out of dextrose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I found them in Michaels and next time that will be the first place I go to - even before the parks. I'll stock up on them!

I know what works FOR ME - PASTA - getting hold of the stuff was next to near impossible because we had only found out we were going to go less than 10 weeks earlier ... no way to get in at Tonys, Mamma Melrose or any other Italian style place. Last time I went Pinochio's hause (you know the one - next to Small World) sold pasta - but that was 4 years ago and they changed the menu 'very recently'. Wonderful! NOTHING on the menu ... I needed carbs so I survived on hot dogs or ... well, hot dogs!

I was in EPCOT the first time a real problem occurred ... my sugar was down to 2.5 and I was on the verge of collapse. NOWHERE seemed to sell pasta - except AMERICA ... problem was, it was ONLY FOR CHILDREN! I couldn't believe it! I was lucky enough to be served by Rick - the kindest and most helpful young man it has ever been my pleasure to meet (hope some of the cast members occasionally read these threads ... I was too ill to get to Guest Services). He went out of his way to help me - altered the menu - I couldn't have cheese and gave me TWO pasta dishes (I told him I didn't want to lie to him and say I had 2 children outside because I didn't - he just asked what i need right now to help me and he delivered. I explained I also needed a drink - and at that point, my hip gave. That wonderful guy helped me to the front and got me help to carry my food to my friend. When I came in the next time, he remembered me and gave me the same again - as well as the help. I have a condition that makes walking difficult and my eyes close (and, occasionally, the sight vanish whether I have my eyes open OR closed) - many people make me uncomfortable, complaining and saying I should be ashamed of myself being drunk at that time (I don't drink!) or that I should 'open my eyes' - both were said many times. Rick realised there was a problem and just took control (I had one woman walk behind me, telling her friend that I was too tired and was walking with my eyes closed - if she'd have ASKED me why my eyes were closed, I'd have told her! I was lucky that day, they were open a slit) This condition has escalated and I now have difficulties eating meat - especially chicken ...

I also had very similar experiences in the bakery in Main Street and Matt proved to be an ANGEL! Seeing I couldn't see he helped me with my drink, allowed me to check it, got it changed when it was too strong - NOTHING was too much trouble. When I couldn't see the money (I have some sight but not enough -the treatment makes me see double if I'm lucky, sometimes quadruple) he was wonderful and even sorted my money out ... oh, the staff at space mountain went the extra mile as well.

Perhaps the best experience I had was in Liberty Square, I think. I'm pretty sure from what I could tell that I was near haunted mansion ... anyway, we walked the length and breadth of the park - the ONLY places I could eat had sold out. The staff there really went the extra mile and even offered to go over to Tony's and get me some Pasta (it was too late but what a lovely offer) - then, when they realised that there was almost nothing I could eat on the menu, they made me some toast which really helped.

You know, I'm the first to complain but I'm also the first to say thank you. It's the little touches like that which make a holiday so special. The staff at Disney really helped to ease a difficult situation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter