Major Protests on Hong Kong Island

Disneyland was closed until 1PM today but once more cast members were able to get to work, some of the rides and shows were able to open. Mystic Point, Grizzly Gulch, Mickey and the Magical Map, Slinky Dog Spin and various character greetings remained closed.

I wonder if the expats CMs are still willing to work there. I think they already closed the Princess meet and greet.

I wonder if the expats CMs are still willing to work there. I think they already closed the Princess meet and greet.

That's because Bippity Boppity Boutique opened and now the princesses greet in Fantasyland. That space will probably be used for something else in the future. In other news, this entire weekend, the Disneyland Resort Line is down so getting to the park is a major problem if you aren't living on site. It seems likely that if/when the subway returns to normal operations, the subway will shut down at 9PM so if you live off site, you may have to leave early.

I've been hearing reports that ATMs are running out of cash as people are worried. I already have some cash for my trip (just doing HKDL, not the city). Should I get more or would I be ok relying primarily on credit for most purchases?

I've been hearing reports that ATMs are running out of cash as people are worried. I already have some cash for my trip (just doing HKDL, not the city). Should I get more or would I be ok relying primarily on credit for most purchases?
I was just trying to decide how much to take for my trip the first weekend of November. I am ordering from the bank, and I think I will hold off a few more days - my boss at work just asked me if I am still going. Maybe I need to call the travel insurance company to find out what it takes for the coverage to kick in. I am in the hole for a bit of money for this AIA running event on November 3rd.

As a foreigner who will be able to use any ATM, you should be fine - the ones in Disneyland are normal. There may be long lines but the main issue with getting money is if you bank with a mainland Chinese bank. The 10% of ATMs that have been destroyed all belong to mainland Chinese banks although some of the 5% of ATMs that are consistently out of money are HK banks (so 85% of ATMs still operate normally but may run out of cash on weekends). One of my friends cannot access money in his Bank of China account because he needs to go into a branch to authorize the money transfer the out but all the branches in his area have been destroyed. He reports that HSBC has slightly longer lines than usual but is still fine for him.

Know that the MTR is expected to be permanently down until the protests resolve so the only way to get to/from Disneyland will be either taxis or the bus. To take the bus, you can take most airport buses which stop at Lantau Link Toll Plaza and transfer to the R8 bus to Disneyland.

Just got back from our trip. The flight in was 20% full, security didn't seem any more intense than usual. The park was empty, the cast members still managed to be wonderful. Half of the eateries were closed. Still managed to have a wonderful time, no obvious signs that there was anything going on except by the lack of people. We only went to HK for the Disney Parks as a part of going to all of the Disney Parks in Asia. Flight out was overbooked.

Half the eateries are always closed :D
Really? I noticed the number of closed eateries and thought that was unusual, but I have only been looking at it for the past month or so.

If they are hurting for hotel business, I wonder if I can get an upgrade at check in on November 1?

I haven't updated this in a while but things to note:
  • Sales are rampant at HKDL. I managed to pick up a a bunch of 198 HKD Gelatoni keychains for 10HKD each.
  • The 40% off sale is from now till November 25. It is unclear if there will be another one towards the end of December when it usually is.
  • HKDL has been trying to use special events too boost attendance such as celebrating Tokushima Awa Odori this Saturday when it is a Japanese festival that was celebrated in August. Japanese visitors to the park has been the least affected so it's clear what the strategy is. It's also the first time that HKDL is doing a hard ticket event for Dec 31. Although with the 3K night run party being cancelled, it's anyone's guess if that event will proceed as planned.
  • Some CMs need to stay at the hotels to prevent transportation shutdowm from affecting park opening but strikes can still shut down attractions. Today, Grizzly Gulch, Iron Man, RC Racer, Tarzan's Treehouse and It's a Small World are shut down due to insufficient staff. A number of character greetings are also cancelled and it seems like some shows will be cancelled.

Yikes. Glad I am not going till next year. Hope all Dissers are safe!
We are planning a trip in spring 2021. I have my worries. If mainland China has it way it will completely take control of Hong Kong in violation of the joint Sino-British joint decleration of 1997. This is a huge global political mess. And as we all know when the politics gets involved....................... It comes down to the fact that Mainland China wants it's property back in it's control rather than live up to an agreement that would let Hong Kong govern itself free from Chinese interference until [I think] 2047 or there abouts. And in terms of political upheaval, these things do not usually heal quickly. Or so they say :-)

If you've been keeping up with the news, you know how crazy it got Tuesday night. Police and protesters had a multi-hour battle at Chinese University which led to over two thousand police projectiles being fired on campus and over 80 people injured including two people (one of whom was a journalist) who will likely lose eyes. All 18 districts got tear gassed as protesters responded to the call to attack Chinese owned businesses and police stations to take pressure off Chinese University. Right now, several universities have been turned into fortresses with many roads blocked all around Hong Kong. Several subway stations have been completely destroyed by protesters and will likely not open as long as the universities remain fortified.

The past few nights, there have been flare ups all over Hong Kong with some districts getting tear gassed every night. Central has been getting tear gassed every day this week around mid afternoon as people gather to protest during their lunch break. Young people have been randomly getting searched by police and at least two foreigners were arrested for not carrying their passport. Fortunately, the US is making progress with the Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act and protesters seem to be trying to open up roads for citizens to use. Today was the first day this week that no universities have been tear gassed by police. Assuming the district elections happen as planned on the 24th and there are no more police trying to storm universities, I think things will calm down. Transportation may still be impossible in some areas though due to the extensive road blocks and subway stations shutting down.

If you've been keeping up with the news, you know how crazy it got Tuesday night. Police and protesters had a multi-hour battle at Chinese University which led to over two thousand police projectiles being fired on campus and over 80 people injured including two people (one of whom was a journalist) who will likely lose eyes. All 18 districts got tear gassed as protesters responded to the call to attack Chinese owned businesses and police stations to take pressure off Chinese University. Right now, several universities have been turned into fortresses with many roads blocked all around Hong Kong. Several subway stations have been completely destroyed by protesters and will likely not open as long as the universities remain fortified.

The past few nights, there have been flare ups all over Hong Kong with some districts getting tear gassed every night. Central has been getting tear gassed every day this week around mid afternoon as people gather to protest during their lunch break. Young people have been randomly getting searched by police and at least two foreigners were arrested for not carrying their passport. Fortunately, the US is making progress with the Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act and protesters seem to be trying to open up roads for citizens to use. Today was the first day this week that no universities have been tear gassed by police. Assuming the district elections happen as planned on the 24th and there are no more police trying to storm universities, I think things will calm down. Transportation may still be impossible in some areas though due to the extensive road blocks and subway stations shutting down.
I heard an announcement was actually made in the park about transportation shutdowns and they cancelled evening entertainment. I just hope people are being safe with their trips, if they choose to take them.

Yes. For several days (including yesterday and today), the park closed at 7:15PM with Paint the Night cancelled. They've also move the gate opening time to 15 minutes instead of 30 minutes before scheduled opening. So if the park opens at 10:30AM, the gate opens at 10:15AM (Main Street opens) with rope drop at 10:30AM (Tomorrowland, Adventureland and Fantasyland open). Toy Story Land, Mystic Point and Grizzly Gulch will usually be open one hour before opening till one hour before closing. I've seen Mystic Manor and Grizzly Gulch not open at all on several occasions (gates may be entirely closed meaning you have to go the other way between Adventureland and Toy Story Land).

Thank you for the updates. We are still planning on going, and we will have to see if we think it is safe enough to go visit the Peak.

Thank you for the updates. We are still planning on going, and we will have to see if we think it is safe enough to go visit the Peak.

Pay attention to the news because as I am typing this there are clashes all over Hong Kong. Police have announced that they will use lethal force to clear the protesters at Polytechnic University. Snipers are currently positioned to shoot the students. If the legislators don't manage to negotiate a peaceful solution, I think people are going to be killed tonight.

Pay attention to the news because as I am typing this there are clashes all over Hong Kong. Police have announced that they will use lethal force to clear the protesters at Polytechnic University. Snipers are currently positioned to shoot the students. If the legislators don't manage to negotiate a peaceful solution, I think people are going to be killed tonight.
Please try to stay safe and I just... I just have no words for the horribleness!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!