Major DVC Change - Resale Market Only original 14 resort access

Yep agreed. We have BLT (as well as BWV/BCV/VWL) I think until 2060 or so, but you are correct those points will not work for BCV/BWV/VWL for like 20 years.

So if anybody really wants to be in the EPCOT Resorts area, currently its only Riviera after 2042.

Although our BLT (and anyone who owns GFV/POLY/AKV direct, will be good at Riviera until 2060.

I did not know that BLT only promises use of the 2042 resorts through that year. I am flabbergasted as Disney’s marketing videos have always pushed the idea of staying at multiple DVC properties in addition to your home resort. I hope this is made abundantly clear in the sales pitch and closing.

I did not know that BLT only promises use of the 2042 resorts through that year. I am flabbergasted as Disney’s marketing videos have always pushed the idea of staying at multiple DVC properties in addition to your home resort. I hope this is made abundantly clear in the sales pitch and closing.

Well you may be correct IF they resell BCV2 and BWV2, and then ALLOW BLT to reserve at those from 2042 thru 2060.

But I never expected that when we bought BLT. Totally assumed BCV/BWV would just become regular hotels.

That was also one of the main reasons we bought BLT, so we would have a resort from 2042 thru 2060 (at BLT).

But now we also have gotten GFV/POLY/AKV/CCR as well thru 2060, and Riviera and Reflections. Probably more coming.

Yep agreed. We have BLT (as well as BWV/BCV/VWL) I think until 2060 or so, but you are correct those points will not work for BCV/BWV/VWL for like 20 years.

So if anybody really wants to be in the EPCOT Resorts area, currently its only Riviera after 2042.

Although our BLT (and anyone who owns GFV/POLY/AKV direct, will be good at Riviera until 2060.

Direct yes, resale no

...not quite...

While I am not sure what the end dates of the GFV and Poly are, I do know that BLT and AKV expire before 2060. Once your contract expires, you no longer own anything. You will not have any points to use at Riviera until 2060.

Buying a direct contract now at the "classic" resorts does not extend your ability to access the Riviera. You will still only own those points until 2042, or whenever the contract expires. If someone really wants to stay at the Riviera AND have full (unrestricted) membership benefits, then buying a minimum-sized Riviera contract direct along with a "classic" resale would seem to be the best combination at this point.

...not quite...

While I am not sure what the end dates of the GFV and Poly are, I do know that BLT and AKV expire before 2060. Once your contract expires, you no longer own anything. You will not have any points to use at Riviera until 2060.

Buying a direct contract now at the "classic" resorts does not extend your ability to access the Riviera. You will still only own those points until 2042, or whenever the contract expires. If someone really wants to stay at the Riviera AND have full (unrestricted) membership benefits, then buying a minimum-sized Riviera contract direct along with a "classic" resale would seem to be the best combination at this point.
My point was referring to the fact that dvc will renovate those 2042 resorts and resell them as dvc 2 resorts. Some of those resorts represent the best locations in wdw(bwv,bcv,etc). So direct points sold from disney will have those resorts(old and new) to trade into.

...not quite...

BLT contracts expire Jan 31 2060.

So why are you saying you know BLT expires before 2060?

And what makes you sure those BLT points cannot be used at Riviera until 2060?

Owning resale (or direct) now at the original 14 does give you Riviera until 2042-yep agreed. Also owning resale (or direct) now at SSR gives you Riviera until 2054, AKV until 2057, BLT 2060, VGF 2064, POLY until 2066 and CCR until 2068.

Also agree buying Riviera (even a small cheap point resale at Riviera) will indeed give us access to Riviera until its contract expires.

Last edited:
My point was referring to the fact that dvc will renovate those 2042 resorts and resell them as dvc 2 resorts. Some of those resorts represent the best locations in wdw(bwv,bcv,etc). So direct points sold from disney will have those resorts(old and new) to trade into.

Yep agreed.

And this could mean we can use BLT points at BCV2 and BWV2 from 2042 until 2060, as well as VGF, POLY, CCR and Reflections.

BLT contracts expire Jan 31 2060.

So why are you saying you know BLT expires before 2060?

And what makes you sure those BLT points cannot be used at Riviera until 2060?

Owning resale (or direct) now at the original 14 does give you Riviera until 2042-yep agreed. Also owning resale (or direct) now at SSR gives you Riviera until 2054, AKV until 2057, BLT 2060, VGF 2064, POLY until 2066 and CCR until 2068.

Also agree buying Riviera (even a small cheap point resale at Riviera) will indeed give us access to Riviera until its contract expires.
My bad...I don't own at BLT and don't plan to so I just never paid attention to its expiration date:o. I misinterpreted the 2060 date...for some reason, I was thinking that it was being implied that it would be the expiration of the Riviera. Now that I do the math (and see the expirations of the other resorts I never looked into...), I realize that the 2060 date was referring to BLT from the beginning. NOW it makes sense...

...sorry about the confusion:guilty:

My bad...I don't own at BLT and don't plan to so I just never paid attention to its expiration date:o. I misinterpreted the 2060 date...for some reason, I was thinking that it was being implied that it would be the expiration of the Riviera. Now that I do the math (and see the expirations of the other resorts I never looked into...), I realize that the 2060 date was referring to BLT from the beginning. NOW it makes sense...

...sorry about the confusion:guilty:

Ah I see. Yea I'm feeling pretty good about the trade options for BLT and even all original 14 going forward. But still not good for Riviera resales. That will be interesting to watch.

Oh my. That's amazing. BCV going up $40 a point tonight-wow. You were correct.

That is truly crazy money for a 2042 resort. Glad I bought resale there last year...it is staggering the amount of money I saved from buying last year over this and resale vs. direct.

That is truly crazy money for a 2042 resort. Glad I bought resale there last year...it is staggering the amount of money I saved from buying last year over this and resale vs. direct.

Good for you. What a great hedge on hotel and DVC pricing.

We went around and around on here about a year and a half ago on DVC resales, myself claiming it was still a good buy.

Indeed it was. BWV was like $90 then, now its like $125.

Curious what will happen going forward.

The new resale stipulation can't help, but prices are just going out of sight it seems.

We went around and around on here about a year and a half ago on DVC resales, myself claiming it was still a good buy.

The new resale stipulation can't help, but prices are just going out of sight it seems.

I am no expert, but I feel like as long as Disney keeps direct prices high, resale will still do well. People *are* willing to give up certain benefits in order to get a deal. I mean, I did. I hate that I’m in the “second class” of DVC owners...until I think about how much I saved. ::yes:: So, I’m sure there will be others willing to “sacrifice” staying at Riviera.

I recall the debate-- the major nay sayer is no where to be found..... other than a few profile photos here and there.....

Definitely a good buy-- we have mostly direct in the mid 70's.

@beer dave - It’s a tough call - sell or rent...because I imagine rental prices will be going up too, so, that could be equally lucrative. But, as the saying goes, “A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.”

@beer dave - It’s a tough call - sell or rent...because I imagine rental prices will be going up too, so, that could be equally lucrative. But, as the saying goes, “A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.”
I'm hesitant to rent. , unless it's to a friend or relative. There is too much liability. You never know how people are going to behave.

I have never bought a resale, own 2 contracts, am I in the minority that I think Disney is screwing DVC owners? If I NEEDED to sell this will hurt. Not exactly sure why they are allowed to change the rules except they want EVERY dollar.

I have never bought a resale, own 2 contracts, am I in the minority that I think Disney is screwing DVC owners? If I NEEDED to sell this will hurt. Not exactly sure why they are allowed to change the rules except they want EVERY dollar.

I don't think it will hurt current owners any time soon. There isn't even a resort that exists yet that this applies to, and when Riviera is up, there'll only be one. So even if you intended to sell then, I don't see it as a big deal. No one is going to think "oh, I can stay at Poly, BLT, BCV, and all of these other great resorts near a park, but I can't stay at the one next to a moderate? I'm not buying this cheaper contract for that reason!"

I don't think it will hurt current owners any time soon. There isn't even a resort that exists yet that this applies to, and when Riviera is up, there'll only be one. So even if you intended to sell then, I don't see it as a big deal. No one is going to think "oh, I can stay at Poly, BLT, BCV, and all of these other great resorts near a park, but I can't stay at the one next to a moderate? I'm not buying this cheaper contract for that reason!"

Oh yes they will. People on FB boards are already talking about buying direct instead of resale because they don't want to be blocked out of new resorts. People hate being told no.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter