Mail Delivery Person Comments on Packages

Do you think it was okay for the mail person to discuss the packages with the husband? That is where I think it crosses the line. The OP and her husband are not one entity so I would say it is more than just chit chat to discuss the wife's purchasing habits with the husband, completely unsolicited.
I think contexually I approach it differently. It's a small town, with a regular mail person. If indeed it's like most small towns out there most of the citizens if not all are aware and converse in things in perhaps a more open manner that elsewhere may seem obtrusive. To me it goes back to intent. Also this is just me but I don't think it's indicative of purchasing habits just that you're getting packages consistently delivered to your house. We all know you can order something and it be split up, especially if it's Amazon, into multiple packages.

I can see conversationally someone saying "no packages for you today" and by you they mean the household not necessarily addressed to the wife specifically. I think if the sticking point for the OP was she felt the mail person was tattling on her to her husband I could agree a lot more. But as is I think this is far more about how the OP feels about themselves purchasing packages online and for her it may be adding more insult to injurying that the mail person commenting on no packages for that day to the husband.

On a side note being married for certain things does consider you one entity though not in terms of mail addressed to a specific person unless it was to "X Household/X Family" or something similar.

I think contexually I approach it differently. It's a small town, with a regular mail person. If indeed it's like most small towns out there most of the citizens if not all are aware and converse in things in perhaps a more open manner that elsewhere may seem obtrusive. To me it goes back to intent. Also this is just me but I don't think it's indicative of purchasing habits just that you're getting packages consistently delivered to your house. We all know you can order something and it be split up, especially if it's Amazon, into multiple packages.

I can see conversationally someone saying "no packages for you today" and by you they mean the household not necessarily addressed to the wife specifically. I think if the sticking point for the OP was she felt the mail person was tattling on her to her husband I could agree a lot more. But as is I think this is far more about how the OP feels about themselves purchasing packages online and for her it may be adding more insult to injurying that the mail person commenting on no packages for that day to the husband.

On a side note being married for certain things does consider you one entity though not in terms of mail addressed to a specific person.[/QUOTE}

I understand the legalities of marriage and am currently married and was divorced. Give me a break. This has nothing to do with that.

ETA: The OP said the mail person said something like "your wife had no deliveries today - what a surprise." I do find that a bit out of bounds.

I understand the legalities of marriage and am currently married and was divorced. Give me a break. This has nothing to do with that.
Um..I'm sorry :confused3.

I was literally responding to your comment you made:
The OP and her husband are not one entity

You were the one to bring up one entity part not me. So if it has nothing to do with it (which I agree it doesn't) then you shouldn't have brought it up.

I meant that tongue in check as they are two separate people...
Yes and they are two separate people in regards to mail (as I said) though not to other things. Honestly, you took it that to a whole other level with your subsequent comment and read wayy too far into my side note comment :confused3

I understand the OPs point of view. Mentioning something once or twice is making small talk. Bringing the same thing up over and over every time you see a person is something else. It could be that the postal worker really doesn’t realize she sounds like a broken record, but I understand how tiring it can get to deal with someone like that. How many times can you plaster a smile on your face and pretend that the interaction you’re having for the hundredth time is brand new? The other possibility is that she does mean something more by it, and her continuous comments are her passive aggressive way of complaining that the OP makes her job more difficult with the quantity of packages she orders. Rarely are people as clueless as they sometimes want to seem, so I tend to think it’s probably the latter. Fortunately, there’s an easy solution: Stop answering the door.

Regarding small talk in general, especially with cashiers, I'm not generally a fan. It’s fine when it happens organically in the process of checking out, but I could do without the “forced” small talk their employers encourage of them. It just seems phony and sometimes makes for weird interactions.

The other day I was at the grocery store, digging through my purse for my card, trying to keep my toddler’s hands off of things, and the cashier says something I didn’t hear so I asked her to repeat herself. “I like broccoli, broccoli is good.” :confused3 I wasn’t even buying broccoli so I wasn’t sure what her point was in telling me that, but okay, good for her. I go back to what I was doing and she says something else that I have to ask her to repeat. “These are brussels sprouts, not broccoli. I thought this was broccoli, but brussels sprouts are good too. I like brussels sprouts.” :rotfl: Like, come on. This small talk garbage your employer is making you do is not enhancing my shopping experience.

I bought a pregnancy test one time and as the cashier handed it to me she said, “I hope the test is... um... I hope it’s...” *face flushes red* “I hope you get the result you want.” The girl was so embarrassed. It didn’t bother me in the least but I couldn’t help thinking, why comment on my purchase at all?

You know what kind of customer interaction will never cause embarrassment, offense, awkwardness...? “Your total is $11.89, have a nice day.” Maybe it’s best to stick with that.

Last edited:
“I like broccoli, broccoli is good.” :confused3 I wasn’t even buying broccoli so I wasn’t sure what her point was in telling me that, but okay, good for her. I go back to what I was doing and she says something else that I have to ask her to repeat. “These are brussels sprouts, not broccoli. I thought this was broccoli, but Brussels sprouts are good too. I like brussels sprouts.” :rotfl:
I wasn't there obviously but that to me sounds like maybe a person with a cognitive disorder perhaps on the spectrum (and I'm not saying that because it's the DIS) OR it could just be someone who is....odd lol if you know what I mean.

I would recognize it more as idle chit chat if it was asked "oh have you tried that brand before?" but to say it like you described above makes it sound to me more like what I mentioned. Totally a thought though.

OP, is this you? ;)

full

I wasn't there obviously but that to me sounds like maybe a person with a cognitive disorder perhaps on the spectrum (and I'm not saying that because it's the DIS) OR it could just be someone who is....odd lol if you know what I mean.

I would recognize it more as idle chit chat if it was asked "oh have you tried that brand before?" but to say it like you described above makes it sound to me more like what I mentioned. Totally a thought though.
Her cruciferous vegetable commentary was interjected by gossipy conversation with her coworker along the lines of “...and I told my mom I can date whoever I want.” She was just making a half-hearted attempt to engage the customer, probably at her manager’s request.

Her cruciferous vegetable commentary was interjected by gossipy conversation with her coworker along the lines of “...and I told my mom I can date whoever I want.” She was just making a half-hearted attempt to engage the customer, probably at her manager’s request.
Ahhh okay I gotcha. That added information changes my viewpoint.

Haha omg, I love Chewy, seriously, best customer service I’ve ever encountered. But I thought I was the only one. I’m always running half-way to the truck apologizing for how heavy the box is! I feel so bad, but it’s so convenient!
I have a hand truck by the front door. We have a home business so heavy deliveries are common. They all appreciate when I come out with the cart.

We also get heavy boxes from Chewy. We got a case of premium wet cat food and our guys did not like it at all. We contacted them and they refunded our money and said keep it and donate it to a shelter! Then one day we got a box full of cat toys out of the blue. Added it up and it was like thirty dollars worth of stuff, just for being good customers I guess. Then, after posting a picture of one of our guys on their page, they sent us this hand painted portrait. Best service ever!

38822017_10216486241939755_3551369197042794496_o.jpg

In relation to this thread, I was at the grocery store today.

While I was in the produce section, an employee asked me, "How are you today?" I replied, "I'm fine; thank you. How are you?" And then he responded w/ "I'm doing okay. Thanks."

On the toilet paper aisle, an older woman who was in a scooter asked me if I minded handing her a package of toilet paper as I was getting some for me. I told her, "Of course not" & then handed her some toilet paper. She thanked me. And then she commented on how confusing the different packages were regarding prices & how many rolls. I agreed w/ her & said, "Sometimes, it's hard to tell which one is the best deal, isn't it?"

The cashier asked me if I had found everything okay, & I replied that I had. The bagger asked me if I was having a good day, & I said, "It's been okay so far."

The bagger was not having a great day & had a hard time bagging my groceries. He dropped my carton of ricotta cheese on the floor, apologized, & asked me, "Do you want me to go get another one for you?" And I replied, "Oh, it's fine. It'll be rolling around in my car on the way home."

The bagger also offered to take my groceries out to the car for me, but I declined. He said, "Are you sure? I'd love to do it." And I said, "I'm sure. It takes me a while to get the bags sorted."

As I was leaving, the store manager said, "Thanks for shopping at Publix. Have a nice day!" And I said, "Thank you!"

The store was a bit crowded, & they didn't have a lot of lanes open. So the cashier really didn't have a lot of time to comment on any of my purchases.

While I was in the produce section, an employee asked me, "How are you today?" I replied, "I'm fine; thank you. How are you?" And then he responded w/ "I'm doing okay. Thanks."

On the toilet paper aisle, an older woman who was in a scooter asked me if I minded handing her a package of toilet paper as I was getting some for me. I told her, "Of course not" & then handed her some toilet paper. She thanked me. And then she commented on how confusing the different packages were regarding prices & how many rolls. I agreed w/ her & said, "Sometimes, it's hard to tell which one is the best deal, isn't it?"

The cashier asked me if I had found everything okay, & I replied that I had. The bagger asked me if I was having a good day, & I said, "It's been okay so far."

The bagger was not having a great day & had a hard time bagging my groceries. He dropped my carton of ricotta cheese on the floor, apologized, & asked me, "Do you want me to go get another one for you?" And I replied, "Oh, it's fine. It'll be rolling around in my car on the way home."

The bagger also offered to take my groceries out to the car for me, but I declined. He said, "Are you sure? I'd love to do it." And I said, "I'm sure. It takes me a while to get the bags sorted."

As I was leaving, the store manager said, "Thanks for shopping at Publix. Have a nice day!" And I said, "Thank you!"

The store was a bit crowded, & they didn't have a lot of lanes open. So the cashier really didn't have a lot of time to comment on any of my purchases.

And you made it through all that without feeling violated lol? Good for you! Not like some people on this thread who want to be served by robots I guess?

actually yes, and and I would most likly give you the stinky eye and walk away from you. What I have in my cart is none of your business and I have no interest in having a conversation about what I am buying!

When I am in Disney I am solo, and most of the time I dont talk to people, I keep to myself. Sometimes I do chat to people when waiting in line but its usually if someone asks about a ride or Fastpass or show or is looking for directions.
By your own description you have some very strong anti-social tendencies. That's OK, I guess - we all have our issues. But self-awareness is a valuable thing and I wonder if you even realize that it's your extreme reaction, not the benign, normal social interactions themselves, that are out of step?

And as to your earlier diatribe, I'm not sure about Ireland, but in North America "Zero Tolerance for Employee Abuse" is a real thing. If you'd have actually gone off on a delivery person like that (complete with fake swear words and all) you'd likely be put on a list by the company that would preclude you from receiving further deliveries. It was truly excessive in its' hostility and probably one of those conversations we only "think" about saying, not actually say...
I HATE HATE HATE that.
& quit asking me how I am.. or how my day is going..
I am spending $$$$ not happy .
I know,, nice chitchat. but I detest being asked how i am by a stranger.

& No, more often than not I did NOT find everything I wanted.. are you going to go find it for me at another store?
( they just shrug at you , when being told no. so how helpful was that.)
Have you thought about on-line shopping? It seems like something that could really improve your quality of life.
I've got an Amazon shipment out for delivery today. I hope I don't get one of those "talkative" or "intrusive" or "don't have any boundaries" delivery people.
Protip: If you do, just smile, nod, grab your box and gently close the door.

:sad1: Oh Hon, are you OK? That must have been horrible for you...unless of course you're a pretty normal, well-adjusted person and whether or not it was pleasant or annoying, it was only an insignificant few minutes of routine, everyday life. ;)

toilet-paper-math-is-the-hardest-kind-of-math-54-32130547.png

Protip: If you do, just smile, nod, grab your box and gently close the door.

I got very lucky. The package was small enough that they could just lock in into my mailbox down the road. I didn't have to be bothered with small talk and actually communicating with them at all. It was a glorious victory all around.

Some of you would hate dealing with me lol

I do customer service from home so the people on the phone are who I interact with. They are my daily dose of outside people. I didn’t used to be super friendly and outgoing but I’m getting moreso as I get older.

The other day, I was talking to a customer and part of the verification is asking them to answer their security question. So, I asked this guy his question (what is your favourite sports team) and he answered (San Jose Sharks) and I said ‘I guess I’ll still help you even though you’re a Sharks fan. The guy stuttered for a few seconds but then he laughed and we had a hockey talk for a few minutes before we got on with the call. I didn’t think it was anything other than small talk but who knows, maybe I’ll get reprimanded tomorrow for being too personal lol

Some of you would hate dealing with me lol

I do customer service from home so the people on the phone are who I interact with. They are my daily dose of outside people. I didn’t used to be super friendly and outgoing but I’m getting moreso as I get older.

The other day, I was talking to a customer and part of the verification is asking them to answer their security question. So, I asked this guy his question (what is your favourite sports team) and he answered (San Jose Sharks) and I said ‘I guess I’ll still help you even though you’re a Sharks fan. The guy stuttered for a few seconds but then he laughed and we had a hockey talk for a few minutes before we got on with the call. I didn’t think it was anything other than small talk but who knows, maybe I’ll get reprimanded tomorrow for being too personal lol
Ha! Maybe you should get out more. I've got a team of field Technicians that are in customer's homes all day long. Many of our customers are from cultures where hospitality is extremely important. We've got a policy that whenever possible, if the Techs are offered food or drink they are to accept. I'll bet hockey is only one of the many things they spend time discussing - all in the name of customer satisfaction, of course. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter