Magic Bands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinkerfan2005

Earning My Ears
We were at Disney 3 years ago and still have our magic bands. We are planning a trip this June and staying off property this time. Should we buy new bands and link them or go with the old ones. Will the old ones work? I know they have changed the style of the band since we were there.
Thanks!

They can be reused but I personally would buy new ones. The batteries will die after a while even if they aren't being used and are just sitting on a shelf.

If you want to buy new then buy new.
Otherwise use the old ones.
They will work at all touch points they just may not work for some attraction photos like FEA where there is no touch point or for extra features like seeing your name in the goodbye room in IASW.

There was a place on EE that must have used the magic band long range feature last time we were there. My name and picture was on one of the signs- I think I may may have been “missing”... or maybe the yeti got me :)

If you want to buy new then buy new.
Otherwise use the old ones.
They will work at all touch points they just may not work for some attraction photos like FEA where there is no touch point or for extra features like seeing your name in the goodbye room in IASW.

Yep, this. The old ones will work fine, except for the long range stuff....if you care.

We had some that were 2 years old and they worked for everything, including the name thing on Small World. We went to guest relations in DS and had them check out our bands before our first day, just in case we had to buy new ones. I did get a new one, but only because it was a limited edition Figment one that I wanted as a souvenir.

What is this?

Does anyone know if you rent DVC points will you still get free bands?

Please don't buy a new band for this feature, it's not working more than its working.

On the other hand...auto linking ride pics & little videos from Buzz or SDMT...maybe.

Otherwise we're still using 8 year old MB's. We decorated & still like them, can coordinate to our outfits, & they still work. If nervous, and I highly recommend anyway, always carry your ticket on you for entry & FP tapping.

We went to guest relations in DS and had them check out our bands before our first day, just in case we had to buy new ones.

Just FYI, they can check if the bands will access your account (which they will, if they are still active in your MDE profile), but there is no way to check the battery for long range functions, other than seeing if the long range functions (automatic ride photos and effects) actually work.

Just FYI, they can check if the bands will access your account (which they will, if they are still active in your MDE profile), but there is no way to check the battery for long range functions, other than seeing if the long range functions (automatic ride photos and effects) actually work.
I specifically asked about that, and they said it would be fine. Were they giving me a line? I don't know, but they worked, so that's all I can tell you.

We go out and buy new ones each trip but we only go every 2-3 years. I buy them based on what characters they like at the time. The girls got me Stitch for upcoming birthday.

I specifically asked about that, and they said it would be fine. Were they giving me a line? I don't know, but they worked, so that's all I can tell you.

Yes, they were giving you a line, or possibly misunderstood the question. Glad they worked!

We got bands when we went in 2012. I am returning to disney with just one kiddo and I can't find his band anywhere, can he just use his brothers or fathers? I haven't linked tickets yet or anything, they are and were all active in my MDE. I seem to remember putting in fingerprints, but I want to say I put in the print for the kids? Is that possible?

We got bands when we went in 2012. I am returning to disney with just one kiddo and I can't find his band anywhere, can he just use his brothers or fathers? I haven't linked tickets yet or anything, they are and were all active in my MDE. I seem to remember putting in fingerprints, but I want to say I put in the print for the kids? Is that possible?
A newly linked ticket has a new biometric scan linked to it.

Let him use someone else’s band where the new ticket will be linked.

MagicBands are non-transferrable--if you have a member of your party use someone else's MB, it'll always link to that other person's account. If kiddo is going to use a MB, he needs his own MB linked to his own account in order to access whatever tickets and FP+ reservations you assign to his account. That being said:
1. If you're staying onsite, both of you will have the opportunity to receive complimentary new MagicBands anyway.
2. If you're staying offsite and don't want to pay for new MagicBands out of pocket, you will receive admission cards that will get you into the parks, scan for FastPasses, etc.--the cards don't get the long-range effects others have mentioned for MB's, but otherwise they do the same things. Also, note that any MB's from 2012 would have dead batteries by this point, so your old bands also would not trigger the long-range effects (but they would, as has been mentioned, still work for entering parks, scanning FP+, and unlocking your room door if you're onsite).

Re: fingerprints, they start with a new scan for each new ticket, so it doesn't matter which finger was used on the last visit--just pick a finger for the new visit and be consistent about it during the trip. I don't know about parents scanning their fingers for their kids' tickets instead of having the kids scan their own fingers, though; maybe someone else can chime in with an answer about that.

Like a PP we have bands from a number of years ago that still show as active and therefore I’m fully intending to take those with us. One is a MB 1 haunted mansion print that when we were there in 2017 still worked on the touch pad effect at HM.
I don’t really care much about the on ride photos as I always look terrible in them. So as long as they still work at the gates and open my room I will use them.
I am getting a new one this trip as well so if they have stopped working since 2017 I don’t have to worry.

MagicBands are non-transferrable--if you have a member of your party use someone else's MB, it'll always link to that other person's account. If kiddo is going to use a MB, he needs his own MB linked to his own account in order to access whatever tickets and FP+ reservations you assign to his account. That being said:

are you telling me I need to sign up my 10 year old for their own MDE account? With their own sign in and password? I can see all of our magicbands in my MDE with their names and numbers attached. If this is true (him having his own sign in and password) Disney is making it unnecessarily hard to enjoy the parks these days and I will just use a lanyard like in Universal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter