Magic Bands

Arrowmaker

Earning My Ears
Are they worth it when staying off property?

We are a family of 7 with kids ranging from 12-1, so there will be times we are split up. We will be getting the Memory Maker/Photopass so the kids can get their pics from rides and around the park.

Worth is subjective, but I'm sure there are plenty of other things you could do with the money you would use to purchase 7 magic bands. The most convenient uses of a magic band are opening onsite resort room doors and charging purchases to a resort account, in my opinion. If I were staying offsite I don't think I'd buy one. You can get a photopass card for each person to use. The photographer scans the card basically the same way as a magicband. There may be a few ride photos that use the signal in a magicband to identify the account to put the photo in. Hopefully someone else will chime in about that if those are important to you.

Magic Bands do add up when it comes to a family of seven. However, you're also getting Memory Maker / PhotoPass which isn't cheap, but if you do want to save a little and have an idea on who is splitting up with who, perhaps be selective on who is getting Magic Bands? However, might start conflict between children, unless you plan to have adults with the children and have adults, or older children be responsible of having the Magic Bands.

As an AP I do have to say, I personally find myself preferring to have my Magic Band with me, rather than using my AP pass, when I come into the park. As your ticket is on your wrist, your FP are on your wrist, and getting your photos is on your wrist. While it doesn't take long to take them out, it is easier to just press your band whenever you go do something, rather than get your wallet, then take your pass out, especially if you store it in a bag, then you have to go through it to find it. It's the most best to have quick access for ride photos, as the minute you get off, you quickly approach the photos, and you need to press your card before it disappears.

Also, some of the PhotoPass opportunities do not present the photos at the end of the course of the ride and the way they put the PhotoPass photos onto your account is with the use of the technology of the Magic Band. They also do this for all rides, but as I said, some rides do not give you the option of even looking at the photos and if that's the case, you will not get those photos if you only have a ticket / pass. Also, IASW also at the end of the ride says "Goodbye" to guests using their name with the use of the same technology with the Magic Band.

So, if you weren't using Memory Maker / PhotoPass, I would say it wasn't 100% necessary, just easier, but if you want to truly utilize the full intent of a product your purchasing you kind of need the Magic Bands to do that completely.

Another option if you want to look into it is getting a camp site for a night. You get your magic bands, parking for the days of the reservation (check in and out) and EMH... plus fast passes 60 days out for the days of your stay... it is discussed here:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/throwaway-room-offsite-to-onsite-stays.3539209/

I mostly mention it because of the number of magic bands you need...

I would suggest at least one MB so you can automatically get the videos and pictures that you can't tap for with the memory maker. If your traveling with more than one family I would suggest one MB fore each family in case you separate - for the above reason.

Also with a group that big make sure everyone has their own ticket prior to using FP+ so you don't backup the line (and remember you often have to tap twice!). A lanyard will help with this!

Depending on the number of days of your visit I would probably try to get along with ticket cards unless your finding it to be a hassle in which case I would purchase bands and just link them all up :)

Another option if you want to look into it is getting a camp site for a night. You get your magic bands, parking for the days of the reservation (check in and out) and EMH... plus fast passes 60 days out for the days of your stay... it is discussed here:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/throwaway-room-offsite-to-onsite-stays.3539209/

I mostly mention it because of the number of magic bands you need...

And that ladies and gentlemen is the reason why the prices at Fort Wilderness are getting ridiculous and people are getting upset with sold out campsites...

A thing to note about this is, while sometimes it can be more inexpensive compared to the actual price of the MBs, depending on what time of the year it is, it can be just as much, or more for a camp site than it would be for the total amount for the Magic Bands due to the high demand of the season, or if the more inexpensive sites are sold out you'd have to get the preferred (more expensive) sites.

And that ladies and gentlemen is the reason why the prices at Fort Wilderness are getting ridiculous and people are getting upset with sold out campsites...

A thing to note about this is, while sometimes it can be more inexpensive compared to the actual price of the MBs, depending on what time of the year it is, it can be just as much, or more for a camp site than it would be for the total amount for the Magic Bands due to the high demand of the season, or if the more inexpensive sites are sold out you'd have to get the preferred (more expensive) sites.

So long as they pay for that reservation it’s no different then any other resort where a reservation is used. They pay for the site and use it how they want...

And as for cost the cost of 7 magic bands is 105 plus parking at 25 a day or 50, so right there the site has to cost more then 155 to not be worth it for them. Plus 60 day out FP for the days they have the site and EMH on both sides...

In a hotel I can check into a room and then for whatever reason decide not to sleep there. There are no terms of service that say you must spend the night. Now if Disney modifes their terms of service to require this (or require pitching a tent) then fine, but as of right now it is a legitimate option and one the OP can consider should they want to. It is information available on this board and was provided so they have all of the facts when making planning decisions... not to hijack their thread for a debate.

Keeping that debate aside and on the discussion of the money aspect, all valid points @Tink_83, as I didn't think about the parking fee on top, however, believe it, or not, sites can still get that high depending on the peak times.

That being said, OP needs to determine what is truly within the budget. "Are they worth it staying off property?" The answer is yes, however, I believe only a few are worth it, which can be done if knowing who was splitting up with who. I personally wouldn't purchase MBs for all unless I found a way to purchase them less than retail value, or it would create hostile environment if only select family members got to have one, so the only way to resolve that would be to buy them for everyone.

Keeping that debate aside and on the discussion of the money aspect, all valid points @Tink_83, as I didn't think about the parking fee on top, however, believe it, or not, sites can still get that high depending on the peak times.

That being said, OP needs to determine what is truly within the budget. "Are they worth it staying off property?" The answer is yes, however, I believe only a few are worth it, which can be done if knowing who was splitting up with who. I personally wouldn't purchase MBs for all unless I found a way to purchase them less than retail value, or it would create hostile environment if only select family members got to have one, so the only way to resolve that would be to buy them for everyone.

And I totally agree that OP would have to look at the cost of the sites available and see if it makes since for them... I really only posted it as an option because he had 7 MB to purchase which is getting expensive.

Thanks for the thoughts. So I want

Thanks for the thoughts. So I want to clarify- Only my husband and I could get the bands for ourselves (since one of us would be with ours kids) and use them for the Photos? And then the kids would need their cards for park access and FastPass?

I"m going back and forth since I think my kids would love having the bands and it would make it easier to get in, not need to worry who has tickets when we separate, pictures, etc. But I'm also worried my kids wouldn't want to wear them, would lose them, etc.

Thanks for the thoughts. So I want to clarify- Only my husband and I could get the bands for ourselves (since one of us would be with ours kids) and use them for the Photos? And then the kids would need their cards for park access and FastPass?

I"m going back and forth since I think my kids would love having the bands and it would make it easier to get in, not need to worry who has tickets when we separate, pictures, etc. But I'm also worried my kids wouldn't want to wear them, would lose them, etc.

So my experience is that my DD at age 3 did not do well with the bands... didn’t like to wear it, etc. BUT by 4 she LOVED her band. Plus getting the bands in the mail was super exciting for her. So if buying them outright I wouldn’t get one for the youngest and you will know your kids better then me so you may have a 3 year old that wants to do what the older kids are doing... the older kids will probably like having them. And I think they are easier to use then the cards. But again, not necessary.

If they are staying with you then I’d do 3 maybe, I’m trying to think of the rides that have photos and how many they seat... but you may need more then two to cover your family on those rides.

Finally, if you go without MB for everyone I’d get lanyards for the older kids to keep their cards in them so they can pull them out for FP... or at least find a way to keep them easily accessible for you. Hope that helps!

Absolutely, the least expensive option would be for you and DH to have MBs and the ride photos would pick up the kids you're riding with.

Magic Bands are cool, but I think kids can be just as excited about lanyards. Especially if you get some cute Disney themed ones off Amazon, and they're a great way for the kids to hold and display a few trading pins, too. MBs are more valuable when you stay on property and they become your room key. At most theme parks, lanyards are standard and work well. My kids have lanyards for their season passes at Six Flags, and they loved picking out Hogwarts House lanyards when we went to Universal. If a small child decides he or she doesn't want to wear a lanyard, it's easier to put it around your own neck than for you to keep track of a refused MB that's too small for your wrist.

The idea of lanyards is an amazing idea! I can see the kids being easily be as excited about the idea of that in place of the MB. Also, the passes will definitely more easily accessible. With lanyards there is so much variety in what they can choose and from there, they can decorate them with pins. If you want to still stay within a reasonable amount of money, see if there are more inexpensive pins on eBay perhaps before going into the park and purchase them prior. Of course, it would be nice to pick out a couple at the park, or at the most one for each child once they get in, but to fill a whole lanyard, especially with that amount of kids would be hefty within the parks.

The idea of lanyards is an amazing idea! I can see the kids being easily be as excited about the idea of that in place of the MB. Also, the passes will definitely more easily accessible. With lanyards there is so much variety in what they can choose and from there, they can decorate them with pins. If you want to still stay within a reasonable amount of money, see if there are more inexpensive pins on eBay perhaps before going into the park and purchase them prior. Of course, it would be nice to pick out a couple at the park, or at the most one for each child once they get in, but to fill a whole lanyard, especially with that amount of kids would be hefty within the parks.

Yes! I hadn't thought about tickets on lanyards! We still have ours from last time and many of the pins too. Since they will already be using the lanyards, then adding the card wouldn't be a big deal!

Some of our family members have purchased them for the adults and not the kids. They were planning well in advance and let everyone know what they were doing and some of us took the opportunity to get MBs for some of the kids for their birthdays. This meant they were only short a couple of bands by the time the trip rolled around, and the parents took care of the last 2. Others have made them holiday gifts??

keep in mind that sometimes little ones might lose their bands, so have a discussion about what they are and what they do before the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter