Magic band notice - is this new?

DisneyJade

Two decades on the DIS, lurking and learning
I was reviewing my 2021 reservation today and on the magic band selection page, I saw this alert that was not there last time I checked. Is this a move away from magic bands? I think I heard the Dis Unplugged team talking about a move from bands to smart phones in a recent podcast, but I can't recall the discussion exactly. Thoughts?

Also, I assume since I already booked, our bands are still complimentary?

I was reviewing my 2021 reservation today and on the magic band selection page, I saw this alert that was not there last time I checked. Is this a move away from magic bands? I think I heard the Dis Unplugged team talking about a move from bands to smart phones in a recent podcast, but I can't recall the discussion exactly. Thoughts?

Also, I assume since I already booked, our bands are still complimentary?

View attachment 529647
No, as of 1/1/21, complimentary magicbands are no more. Was discussed quite a lot prior to COVID, but got lost in the shuffle since then.

Thanks! I must have just missed it when we first booked. Glad we didn't have to pay for ours.

I always get a card even thou I get free magic bands. very nice if everything was on a smart phone. Card is no problem but I don’t get one until I check in.

I always get a card even thou I get free magic bands. very nice if everything was on a smart phone. Card is no problem but I don’t get one until I check in.
Interesting that the page doesn't mention cards. Presumably they will still be available and free?

The thought of booking a hotel room and then having to pay extra for the "key" to access it seems to be a whole new level of money grabbing only Disney to elevate themselves to.

Interesting that the page doesn't mention cards. Presumably they will still be available and free?

The thought of booking a hotel room and then having to pay extra for the "key" to access it seems to be a whole new level of money grabbing only Disney to elevate themselves to.

I don’t recall there ever being wording about cards on the MB page. Maybe I am wrong.

One would hope they still do room keys. Idk if they’ll allow charging to them. Can you imagine being the poor Guest Services CMs who have to work with the MDE errors and even just normal explanations once international travel comes back? 😬

I told my wife a long time ago when Disney started allowing people to open their room door with their phone, this was the end of the free magic bands. This was long before Disney announced this new policy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!