Magic band from 2012

They will work for the touchpoints, but not the long range for photopass like on 7DMT. Some rides you can go to the touchpoint to save the ride photo.

Thanks everyone! My mom has never been and we are not staying on site. I hav her tickets in my phone, in an email. Will she get a paper tickets at the park entrance?

Thanks everyone! My mom has never been and we are not staying on site. I hav her tickets in my phone, in an email. Will she get a paper tickets at the park entrance?
Nope, just link it to her MDE account. I don't believe you can reassign magicband to someone else's MDE account. You can get an RFID card from guest services.

ETA: you can also get a plastic card at the front entrances as well.

Last edited:
Yes old magic bands still work.
The long range battery is probably dead by now so you won't get things like photos from 7DMT FEA... but it will work for the touchpoints like at the tapstiles, FP+ touchpoints, and ride photo touchpoints.

Your mom cannot use an old magic band unless it was hers (not sure if that's what you were thinking?)

You will want to go to will call to get her a plastic ticket or purchase her a magic band.
Make sure her ticket is linked and showing in MDE.

Wow, 2012? That's old! We went in 2013 and didn't have them, was it a test? I think I got my first one in 2014.

Wow, 2012? That's old! We went in 2013 and didn't have them, was it a test? I think I got my first one in 2014.

I was under the impression that magic bands did not go into testing until early 2013 so I was also unsure about their year.
I went in November 2012 and did not receive a magic band.
I know that by November 2013 they were out of the testing phase and into the mainstream phase as my sister received them and I did in December 2013.

I was under the impression that magic bands did not go into testing until early 2013 so I was also unsure about their year.
I went in November 2012 and did not receive a magic band.
I know that by November 2013 they were out of the testing phase and into the mainstream phase as my sister received them and I did in December 2013.

Correct. We received them during testing in summer 2013.

2014 might still work for long range. A CM told me 5 years for battery life. I wonder if any engineer types here would know how to rig something up to test it.

2014 might still work for long range. A CM told me 5 years for battery life. I wonder if any engineer types here would know how to rig something up to test it.
Mine from January and December 2015 no longer work for long-range. Still works great for touchpoints though!

Thanks for everyone’s replies. Sorry about the mix up on the year....I don’t know why I was thinking 2012! So with all your info our plan will be for my husband and I to use our MB from 2014, my daughter has one from last year and then buy my mom one at the MCO Disney Store so we are ready to go. Thanks!

I've got some from 2014... we're staying offsite in 2019 and I was wondering if they'd still work or not. Any way to test them?

I've got some from 2014... we're staying offsite in 2019 and I was wondering if they'd still work or not. Any way to test them?
Functions that require you to touch the MagicBand to a reader will work for as long as Disney supports the technology. That includes park entry, FP+ queue entry, room entry (with resort reservation), room charges (with resort reservation), etc.

Automatic linking of ride photos/videos to your PhotoPass account requires the battery powered transmitter and that battery may already be dead.

This may be a dumb question but if I want to wear one of my old MagicBands to match an outfit can I put the new one I'm getting this year in my backpack to pick up the ride photos?

This may be a dumb question but if I want to wear one of my old MagicBands to match an outfit can I put the new one I'm getting this year in my backpack to pick up the ride photos?
That's what we do with some LE bands we have. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter