Magellan’s reservation

Haley R

DIS Veteran
We made our reservation tonight for Magellan’s. I actually thought today was a day early but wanted to try anyway. I guess it was the right day because we were able to make a reservation. I just wanted to share our experience as foreigners.

We’re staying at the Hilton so we had to book it in Japanese. The actual booking process itself wasn’t too bad. The issue was we didn’t know we needed a Japanese account to make the reservation. It took us at least half an hour trying to make an account. The main issue was putting my name in Japanese and trying to figure out the error code we kept getting. Eventually we figured out that my name had to be in both katakana and hiragana. Dh had to draw the characters on google translate and copy that over for it to work.

It also asks for a Japanese address so we used the address of our Airbnb which worked but that was another thing that was kind of hard to do. We had to get everything just right for it to work.

Once we got through all of that stress there were tons of times available to choose from so we got a lunch time at 12:20! I hope it’s worth it!

When I went there, we just walked in for dinner without a reservation. It was on a Monday in the summer, so a very crowded day but not like it was one of the most crowded of the year. The interior is something to see, and I got a couple of very good photos out of it. I read a report once that there is a library room that you can request and that it's a really cool part of the restaurant.

As for the food.... where I live, no restaurant could get away with serving food this weak at prices that high. This would not be considered a serious restaurant. Furthermore, the quality of food in the rest of Japan is so high, that I feel safe in saying that the same money will buy you much better food elsewhere. YMMV.

If you'd like to eat in a restaurant in Tokyo that has eye-opening decor and very fine food and the prices are not quite so high if you order a la carte, then I recommend Hatsu Tsubomi. It is on the 9th floor of the Danke Akihabara Building. Google Maps: Japan, Tokyo, Chiyoda City, Kanda Sakumacho, 1 Chome−6-4 danke akihabara building. The clientele is mostly businessmen, and there are one or two table near the host stand that you probably don't need a reservation for.

When I went there, we just walked in for dinner without a reservation. It was on a Monday in the summer, so a very crowded day but not like it was one of the most crowded of the year. The interior is something to see, and I got a couple of very good photos out of it. I read a report once that there is a library room that you can request and that it's a really cool part of the restaurant.

As for the food.... where I live, no restaurant could get away with serving food this weak at prices that high. This would not be considered a serious restaurant. Furthermore, the quality of food in the rest of Japan is so high, that I feel safe in saying that the same money will buy you much better food elsewhere. YMMV.

If you'd like to eat in a restaurant in Tokyo that has eye-opening decor and very fine food and the prices are not quite so high if you order a la carte, then I recommend Hatsu Tsubomi. It is on the 9th floor of the Danke Akihabara Building. Google Maps: Japan, Tokyo, Chiyoda City, Kanda Sakumacho, 1 Chome−6-4 danke akihabara building. The clientele is mostly businessmen, and there are one or two table near the host stand that you probably don't need a reservation for.
Thanks for your experience. We’re still gonna give it a try and I plan to ask about eating behind the bookshelf. It doesn’t look too expensive to me but I’m used to paying wdw prices. The issue for me will be finding a set that has things for me because I’m picky. I know they aren’t big on substitutions so I’ll just have to try something new.

We really enjoyed our meal at Magellan's! I hope you will, too. Thanks for the report on how to do it in Japanese on the website. Is calling them no longer an option anymore? I did that. It was a bit of an adventure as I was speaking to the CM through a translator (brought in by the TDR CM) in a conference call...

We really enjoyed our meal at Magellan's! I hope you will, too. Thanks for the report on how to do it in Japanese on the website. Is calling them no longer an option anymore? I did that. It was a bit of an adventure as I was speaking to the CM through a translator (brought in by the TDR CM) in a conference call...
I’m really excited to eat there! I bet it’ll be great. It’s our only sit down meal so I want to enjoy it. I’m pretty sure you can still call but I’m a millennial and don’t like talking on the phone lol

Somehow I must have made an account a while ago (I discovered it when I was sitting down to set up a new account!), so hopefully I will be able to do the same thing in a few months! Magellans is top of my list!

Somehow I must have made an account a while ago (I discovered it when I was sitting down to set up a new account!), so hopefully I will be able to do the same thing in a few months! Magellans is top of my list!
Do you have an account in Japanese or English? I had an English account and realized I needed a Japanese account with my name in Japanese and a Japanese address

Do you have an account in Japanese or English? I had an English account and realized I needed a Japanese account with my name in Japanese and a Japanese address
It was a Japanese account. Probably using the Hilton’s address! I was going to start setting up a new one and realized my basic info was already in there, so I must have done it earlier!

It was a Japanese account. Probably using the Hilton’s address! I was going to start setting up a new one and realized my basic info was already in there, so I must have done it earlier!
I didn’t even think to use the Hilton address lol. The hardest part for us was getting my name in both katakana and hiragana.

I didn’t even think to use the Hilton address lol. The hardest part for us was getting my name in both katakana and hiragana.
Yeah-don’t remember how I accomplished that one! I tried using the same account to sign in on the Tokyo Disney app, but it wouldn’t let me! Oh well!

Do you think you have to set your vpn to Japan?
I was able to download the app by changing my country to Japan. But when I tried to sign in, it wouldn’t let me. I think because my phone doesn’t have the proper keyboard (I tried copy/paste but probably the wrong font). Mainly I was trying to see if it would let me so I could try to get the digital FPs this fall, but I guess not. ‍♀️

I was able to download the app by changing my country to Japan. But when I tried to sign in, it wouldn’t let me. I think because my phone doesn’t have the proper keyboard (I tried copy/paste but probably the wrong font). Mainly I was trying to see if it would let me so I could try to get the digital FPs this fall, but I guess not. ‍♀️
I was hoping to try them on our trip but I don’t think they’ll be up and running by then

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!