Made shirts for the family, DS wont wear his

Disneyfan754321

DIS Veteran
We made simple shirts they just say our last name and family adventure 2019 with a small outline pic. Our 24 year old son said he wont wear matching shirts, even though his girl said she cant wait. I thought about changing to I dont do matching shirts shirt. I guess the 6 of us wear them with out him.
Should I redo the shirts again making them even more plain? Or should I maybe give everyone diffrent color shirts so they are less matching?

That behavior is of a teen not a mid 20's grown man IMO.

I do think the last name is a bit much. We did grand gathering shirts 10 years ago and while I love the front and the fact that they match I kinda wish our name wasn't on the back.

I wouldn't be concerned with your son.
I'd give his girlfriend his shirt to pack just in case he decides to stop being such a child the day of.
Otherwise everyone else wear them with pride and let him look like the odd ball.

He has always been this way, I kinda saw it coming. I guess i thought he would just do what his finance told him to. - Good idea to remove our last name maybe he wont feel like everyone will know him.

Did you already purchase them? If so I wouldn’t change anything, if not I recommend removing the last name, just for basic security reasons (it’s honestly a bad idea to have that info out there).

Re: getting him to wear the shirt - I’m a little confused about when you want him to wear the shirt, were you planning on everyone wearing them the entire time your there? Regardless, I would try to request a specific time for everyone to wear the shirt if it means that much to you. Maybe a meal together, not a whole day. That way it’s for a limited time, and you can request that he takes a family photo with the shirt.

I wanted to do matching shirts one trip and that was shot down quickly. My husband and older son both refuse to wear matching clothes and they always have. My older son is 18 now, but I am fairly certain he won't "just do what his fiancee tells him too" when he gets to that point as far as matching shirts. He thinks they are stupid and doesn't want to do it, he isn't going to no matter who asks him to.

At 24, he's a grown-up. He doesn't have to wear any particular shirt he doesn't want to, and you're long past the point where Mommy can make him do something. Let it go.

I will also point out that this grown-up 24yo can also plan and pay for his own vacations if he doesn't like the way his parents do them.

FTR, I have a son like this. If we're traveling and he doesn't like an aspect of a trip (too hot, too crowded, etc.)--he'll stay home. I'd rather include him, but if we want to, say, go to Rome, and he doesn't, I'm not skipping it to please him. He can stay home and watch the cats.

They have not been printed yet, I sent out a text with the final design. I bought the digital on etsy.

Backstory ...My husband and I had to move 500 miles away 2 years ago with the little brothers. So every year we meet in orlando for our spring vacation. Our older 24 year boys stayed in our house in Texas. It's just our time together making sure the 8 and 11 year old know there brothers . They pay there own way there and back. But we take them to dinner buy them stuff etc. Otherwise our meals would all be off the dollar menu. The shirts are for fun. I'm just disappointed.

Last edited:
I'd let it go. I wouldn't bother trying to design new shirts or picking up an I Don't Wear Matching Shirts shirt as he might not want to wear one of those either. Some people just don't like to wear matching shirts. If the rest of you want to wear them, then do so, but since he's an adult, let him choose to wear what he wants.

I wouldn't push it.
My husband does not like matching shirts, but he indulges me with one for the entire vacation. I think our first-day shirts will say "Best Day Ever" for me and the kids, and his will say "Most Expensive Day Ever" and coordinate, rather than match, ours.

I don't put our names or last name on them for security reasons.

I would have asked before I made them so I would have known not to bother making them for those who don't want to wear them.
Give his girlfriend his to pack and if he wants to wear his he will. Other than that I wouldn't do anything about it.

At least his fiance is on board with it, she's a keeper! I wouldn't push it, but I would make a shirt for him and give it to the fiance. It's hard not to be disappointed but I would do my best to not make it ruin your day when everyone else wears the shirts.

At 24, he's a grown-up. He doesn't have to wear any particular shirt he doesn't want to, and you're long past the point where Mommy can make him do something. Let it go.

I will also point out that this grown-up 24yo can also plan and pay for his own vacations if he doesn't like the way his parents do them.

FTR, I have a son like this. If we're traveling and he doesn't like an aspect of a trip (too hot, too crowded, etc.)--he'll stay home. I'd rather include him, but if we want to, say, go to Rome, and he doesn't, I'm not skipping it to please him. He can stay home and watch the cats.

At 24 if I wanted to go on a trip with my family I was expected to pay for it (or at least my portions). Since my kids are young right now I don’t want to say this is exactly what I’m going to do, but right now it’s the plan.

They have not been printed yet, I sent out a text with the final design. I bought the digital on etsy.

Backstory ...My husband and I had to move 500 miles away 2 years ago with the little brothers. So every year we meet in orlando for our spring vacation. Our older 24 year boys stayed in our house in Texas. It's just our time together making sure the 8 and 11 year old know there brothers . They pay there own way there and back. But we take them to dinner buy them stuff etc. Otherwise our meals would all be off the dollar menu. The shirts are for fun. I'm just disappointed.

I get that, I’m the oldest of 8 and 20 years older then the youngest. Without a few family vacations I wouldn’t really know the younger kids. I still vote to see if you can get him to wear it for a meal or something like that. I don’t think that would be too much to ask for and he would probably be more inclined to do it for a short period of time. Maybe ask before you get them if he would be willing to wear them a meal or a picture? Another thought, what about hats? Those are easier to put on for photos and take off if he’s not into matching constantly...

I get that, I’m the oldest of 8 and 20 years older then the youngest. Without a few family vacations I wouldn’t really know the younger kids. I still vote to see if you can get him to wear it for a meal or something like that. I don’t think that would be too much to ask for and he would probably be more inclined to do it for a short period of time. Maybe ask before you get them if he would be willing to wear them a meal or a picture? Another thought, what about hats? Those are easier to put on for photos and take off if he’s not into matching constantly...
That's a great idea about the picture. I have a family picture from 15 years ago where everyone, including my grumpy FIL, wore a shirt. It's really special to me.

I think ONE photo on a MK day in front of the castle and then he can switch out to another shirt would be a good compromise. You get a family matchy-matchy photo and he gets to wear what he wants the rest of the trip.

That's a great idea
That's a great idea I'm going to run it past DH when he gets home. I have to go out this afternoon, we have a snow storm coming tonight
I'm so glad we are a week away from sun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter