LURKYLOO's Wedding Trippie: Morocco/Attic/Lower UK: Wedding Album + Gown Preservation

Oh my gosh! I didn't realize there were more replies to this thread—thanks for the bump, jenergy! :thumbsup2

2 Haunted Mansions in one day! WoW!!!!

I keep thinking about hitting Hollywood Studios and grabbing the first fast pass possible for Toy Story, then heading out to California Adventure and trying to use it there!

Won't be possible until they extend the hours at California Adventure, but a girl can dream can't she?

That's a fabulous idea! Oh wait, except they don't have FASTPASS at Toy Story Mania in DCA—d'oh! But you could still do it, even if you had to wait in line, as long as you were in line at park closing.

for some reason i cant post on your wedding crasher thread... oh well, i will say what i want to say on here!

for the last few weekends, i have been reading through your trippies, and my oh my, you are one funnnneeeeeeeeeeii lady! i have been HOOKED! i esp love the part where you spent a day or two with Jensen, and the photos you too were soo funny! note to myself, when ever reading your trippies i must not have any liquids present- ahem, seeing that photo that you took with the caption that went something like 'this is what i see when i am hungry' - the photo of the cake head man, made me laugh so much, my mouthful of tea was spat through many holes in my face, which ended in a choking fit, mixed with laughter! :rotfl: you look so beautiful in those b&w photos- like the ones with the crazy hat! The shots of you in the shops, the stories of you crashing weddings, taking photos of the carpets, the shots of you in the resturants... all i can say is .... you looked like you had such a blast- if i ever get the chance to meet you one fine day in Disney, then i would jump at the chance to hang out in the parks because you would have me laughing all day long! i love how you write your tr's! you are TOO GOOD- do ya hear me?! TOO GOOD!

Im sure i have written about your wedding trippie too, if i havent- WOW. Enough said!

Thats all :)

Oh. That's all? :rotfl2: You are TOO KIND! I'm just glad to know I could provide some entertainment, except for the part when you almost died from choking. SORRY! :flower3:

This is an old thread that hasn't been replied on in quite some time but I just looked at the wedding pics and plans and I had to comment. Your wedding looked SO beautiful. You and your husband look so amazing together and the pictures are everything wedding pictures should be; sweet, classy, and romantic with a splash of fun. Definitely looks like a fairy tale come true which is so refreshing to see! I must say - I am envious and can only hope that some day I have something as magical as you two. CONGRATS!! (Even if it's a couple of years late) and may you have a wonderful life together. I'll definitely be following your other trip reports; you just make it so much fun!

Well thank you for your kind words! It's very sweet of you to take the time to comment. I hope I can provide you with more goofy trip reports in the future! :goodvibes

Well since this thing is still open, I thought you guys might be interested in a few wedding-related updates.

Finished Wedding Album
I finally finished our wedding album at Christmas—yes, almost 2 years after the wedding! I laid it out in Photoshop and uploaded a PDF to Blurb.com. You can see an onscreen preview of the almost the whole dang thing here:

http://www.blurb.com/books/996943

Gown Preservation
I also did a ton of research on how to preserve my dress. I did it myself for just the cost of acid-free tissue and a Sterlite storage box (which I'd read somewhere was the same kind of plastic used by preservationists).

First I had the dress cleaned at my local "green" dry cleaner (not sure how much of that I believe). I got a Sterlite box from the hardware store—you can also use an acid-free cardboard box (with NO printed decorations on it), but I wanted something waterproof.

IMG_0486.jpg

I wore cotton gloves any time I touched the dress so I wouldn't get oil on it.

IMG_0488.jpg

I lined the box with acid-free tissue I got from Archival Methods.

IMG_0489.jpg

Then I laid my dress on a layer of tissue on top of a cotton sheet on the bed, stuffed the bodice with crumpled tissue to preserve its shape (it has boning), and the tucked the end of the train in up near the bodice.

IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

Then I tucked the sides of the skirt in and brought the edges of the tissue up over them.

IMG_0498.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

Then I folded the wrapped dress loosely in thirds so it would fit in the box (basically the only structure in it was the boning in the bodice, so I found a box that would accommodate the dress without bending the boning. There were no sequins or other decoration that would be harmed by folding).

IMG_0503.jpg

I set the whole thing in the box with the bodice on top and unfolded, then tucked more tissue around it before I closed it up.

Yes, that's residual dirt on the underside of the hem... sigh...
IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

I'll let you know if it worked in 20 years! :rotfl:

Hey, just wanted to say thanks for writing your book! I've just recently downloaded it and wanted to say how great it is! :thumbsup2 It's going to be sooooo useful over the course of this next year! Thanks again! :)

Yay! :banana: I'm glad it's helpful!

Keep an eye on its Facebook page so you know when it's been updated with new info—you can download each new version for FREE!

Great job on the gown preservation! Here are a couple more tips I picked along the way in my museum career:

1. Maybe once a year, or once every other year, you may want to consider re-folding your dress and repacking it, so the creases don't set in one place over time. Maybe it could be a fun excuse to reminisce about your dress on your anniversary each year;

and

2. Since your box is translucent, do try to keep it somewhere out of direct sunlight. I know it's not likely that you would keep a packed-up box where it would get sun, but thought I'd suggest it just as a precaution. Sunlight can fade dark fabrics of course, but it can also discolor white/light ones, especially the parts of the dress nearest the exterior of the box.

Oh yeah; here's another: You know those little packets of dessicant that come inside shoe boxes that keep new shoes dry during shipping? If you collect a few over time, you might want to tuck them into the corners of your storage box. They can help keep humidity at bay! Curators pay big bucks for quantities of that stuff from archival suppliers!

Gee, you make me long for my white glove days when I was a museum curator. I'm doing a stint now as a stay-at-home-mom (SAHM, as I recently learned the online abbreviation for!), but maybe someday...

Thank you so much for those tips! I read so many conflicting opinions online that I wasn't sure I'd chosen the best method. I'll definitely follow your instructions—and I love the idea of re-folding it every year on our anniversary! :thumbsup2

I've been browsing the boards because I've got wedding fever after attending my boyfriend's brother's wedding, and I'm fantasizing about a DFTW. No engagement ring as of yet, and no real right to think I can spend so much on a trip to Disney or a wedding, but it's fun to dream! :cloud9:

I created an account so I could tell you that your wedding was gorgeous, and your pictures are the best I have seen! I loved your dress, the colors...everything! I read your entire TR yesterday. :surfweb:

Now that I've found these boards, I'll be spending time every day reading TR's, I'm sure. :goodvibes

Carrie - I love that you were brave enough to preserve your own gown like this. I may have to try it with mine. It still hasn't been cleaned 9 months later :rolleyes1 and is hanging in the kids closet. Not exactly the safest environment.

I suppose that I will have to get around to cleaning it and I think I am going to try your method!

After brunch we had our parents’ dances. I let my dad pick the song we danced to, since he’s as into music as I am and he did have to dance to it after all. He picked one of his all-time favorite songs, an up-tempo jazz song by David Sanborn. It was really cute – he loves to cut out and send me articles, especially about musicians, so I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised that when we started our sentimental father-daughter dance the first thing he said was, “I just read this great article about David Sanborn!” We had tried practicing once, at Christmas, but I was still a bit nervous because he was a champion cha-cha dancer in high school and I only know swing. Fortunately he has a strong lead, so I think we did OK.

1199_2614N.jpg

1197_2606N_1.jpg

1216_2666N_1.jpg

1213_2656N.jpg

I’m so glad we danced before DH and his mom, because they would have been a tough act to follow. Neither really dances (well, DH can swing!), so they put on the Muppets’ “Movin’ Right Along” and improvised. They brought down the house!

1226_2688N.jpg

1248_2731J.jpg

1249_2735J.jpg

1230_2705N.jpg

1275_2771N_1.jpg

1282_2796J.jpg

After the dances we asked everyone to put on their mouse ears, and we got a shot of all our guests.

1286_2805N_1.jpg

1289_2809N.jpg

I was ready to cut the cake after that, but my WP said we were a little ahead of schedule so we decided to wait. Waiting for cake is hard. When I couldn’t wait any longer, I asked the servers if we could do it, and my WP magically reappeared to get the ball rolling. Somebody told us where to stand and whose hand was supposed to go where – who knew it was such a production? They handed us our pieces on a plate and I was like, “Uh, where’re the forks?” They found us some forks, and we each ate our own pieces – which got a huge reaction. We didn’t mean for it to be a big statement, we’re just creeped out by the feeding/smashing thing. Later, DH’s grandmother came up to us and said very sincerely, “Thank you for not smashing cake into each other’s faces. I think it’s barbaric!” Then we had to wait for them to cut the real pieces and put the ice cream on. I don’t know if it was the addition of ice cream or the flavors we chose (red velvet with cream cheese and chocolate with peanut butter cup mousse), but the cake disappeared fast!

1304_2840N.jpg

1309_2855N.jpg

1311_2861J.jpg

1317_2883J.jpg

1328_2893J.jpg

1337_2910J.jpg

1338_2911J.jpg

After the cake cutting we still had an entire hour to hang out with our guests. We were ecstatic to discover that Nathan & Jensey had already put together a slideshow of photo highlights, which we must’ve watched three or four times.

1334_2904J.jpg

Except for the pastor, who had to catch a plane, everyone stayed till the end of the reception (but that’s prolly because the only way they could leave was on our bus… mwaahahahahahaha!). The staff gathered up our guest book, cake knife, gifts, extra cake and cake topper and put them back in our box by the door. I asked about having bell services schlep our stuff to the Beach Club (I’d read about a bride having them move stuff from Atlantic Dance Hall to BoardWalk Inn) but was told they couldn’t leave the resort, so my in-laws graciously offered to take it to the Beach Club after the bus dropped them at their car. I cast a longing eye on the thousands of remaining unopened sodas, but I didn’t want to make anybody carry all that.

I'm obviously incredibly late to this party, but I just wanted to say I LOVE this last photo- knowing your mom's photo is in your locket just makes this shot so special. Congrats (2 years later!) on your marriage!

Your book has come out wonderful Carrie.

:hug: Thanks, Claire!

I've been browsing the boards because I've got wedding fever after attending my boyfriend's brother's wedding, and I'm fantasizing about a DFTW. No engagement ring as of yet, and no real right to think I can spend so much on a trip to Disney or a wedding, but it's fun to dream! :cloud9:

I created an account so I could tell you that your wedding was gorgeous, and your pictures are the best I have seen! I loved your dress, the colors...everything! I read your entire TR yesterday. :surfweb:

Now that I've found these boards, I'll be spending time every day reading TR's, I'm sure. :goodvibes

Welcome to the boards! You'll find SO much helpful info here, even for the fantasy-planning stages. I think it's great to start gathering ideas as soon as you can, so that when the time comes, you can spring into action! :rotfl:

Carrie - I love that you were brave enough to preserve your own gown like this. I may have to try it with mine. It still hasn't been cleaned 9 months later :rolleyes1 and is hanging in the kids closet. Not exactly the safest environment.

I suppose that I will have to get around to cleaning it and I think I am going to try your method!

Is it still in the kids' closet? :teeth: I hope you find something that works for you! It can be so hard to know what's best...

I'm obviously incredibly late to this party, but I just wanted to say I LOVE this last photo- knowing your mom's photo is in your locket just makes this shot so special. Congrats (2 years later!) on your marriage!

Thank you—and thanks for taking the time to comment! :goodvibes

I just wanted you to know you have TOTALLY inspired me! Disney should like pay you or somethin' because you've totally ROCKED the Dream wedding imho

also I have fallen in love with Root Photography....and just now while browsing their site ELO's Mr. Blue Sky came on their playlist and I laughed...

I call my DF this :goodvibes

Anyway, I'm kindof a long way from the aisle but when I do get there I'm taking me some lurkyloo wisdom/research with :idea:

Oh heavens! You sound just like me! This is such fun! :woohoo:
I read Carrie's TR & now I have moved on to the famous hat escapades!
I bought the Passporters Book and completely immersed myself in Disney wedding stuff! (hey-I had to have something to do after having surgery!) :cloud9:

Thank you Carrie for entertaining me these past few days as I repair :)

Pictures are all great and i have enjoyed looking them.

Thanks!

I just wanted you to know you have TOTALLY inspired me! Disney should like pay you or somethin' because you've totally ROCKED the Dream wedding imho

also I have fallen in love with Root Photography....and just now while browsing their site ELO's Mr. Blue Sky came on their playlist and I laughed...

I call my DF this :goodvibes

Anyway, I'm kindof a long way from the aisle but when I do get there I'm taking me some lurkyloo wisdom/research with :idea:

:rotfl: Well, thanks! I'm happy you've enjoyed the report!

Oh heavens! You sound just like me! This is such fun! :woohoo:
I read Carrie's TR & now I have moved on to the famous hat escapades!
I bought the Passporters Book and completely immersed myself in Disney wedding stuff! (hey-I had to have something to do after having surgery!) :cloud9:

Thank you Carrie for entertaining me these past few days as I repair :)

Glad I could help! :teeth: And I hope you're feeling better soon!

Hi! Just wanted to let you know I'm planning my Disney wedding and purchased your Passport and wanted to say THANK YOU! That thing is brillant and I've found it to be my most valuable planning resource so far!!!
I am Loving your trip report just as much ( maybe a bit more with the witty humor it holds)

Oh I'm so glad you're finding the book helpful and enjoying the trip report! You can also read it HERE if you want the uninterrupted, non-message-board version. :cutie:

THANK YOU for the link. The Glad I did/Wished I'd done was also very helpful.
Quick Question for you, do you feel like you went to Florida early enough before the big day? To early? I'm trying to decide when we should actually arrive.

I think it was an OK amount of early... The one bad thing was we had to have the tux fitting on a Saturday, with the wedding on a Monday, which meant they couldn't swap out pieces that didn't fit, just alter the hems/cuffs. I don't remember if it would have worked if we'd done the fitting on Friday... maybe not.

So I think the number of days early was good (what was it... 2?), it was just the fact that they fell over a weekend that was a bummer. I could see this also being a consideration if you need to drive to the courthouse to get your license, because they aren't open on the weekends.

But I wanted the bulk of our trip to be *after* the wedding so that it'd be all honeymoon. For me, getting there a week before and going to all the parks and stuff would have made the honeymoon part kind of anticlimactic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!