luggage

lovedisney123

DIS Veteran
We are taking our first trip to Europe and want to fit in a visit to Disneyland Paris. I have a question about luggage. Does anyone have a good recommendation for luggage for the trip?

As an European who travels regularly to USA, I would advise 1 4 wheeler 50 pound trundle case per person for checked luggage and a back pack / gym bag for carry on.

In Europe luggage porters are far less frequent, so you need to make sure each person in your party can manage their own luggage. If you travel on trains, or shuttle buses, often you will have to manage your luggage up and down escalators or stairs.

I would also recommend each person in the party has an under clothes money belt to store passport, bank cards, and cash. I would only have minimal cash and cards in a purse or wallet which is kept secured in a zipped pocket.

As an European who travels regularly to USA, I would advise 1 4 wheeler 50 pound trundle case per person for checked luggage and a back pack / gym bag for carry on.

In Europe luggage porters are far less frequent, so you need to make sure each person in your party can manage their own luggage. If you travel on trains, or shuttle buses, often you will have to manage your luggage up and down escalators or stairs.

I would also recommend each person in the party has an under clothes money belt to store passport, bank cards, and cash. I would only have minimal cash and cards in a purse or wallet which is kept secured in a zipped pocket.

Thanks! I will look in the under clothes belt.

Thank you for asking this question - DH and I are also looking at doing our first trip to Europe next year.

If I may ask a follow up question?
Can anyone recommend a good reliable brand of luggage to purchase? And do you recommend Soft or "hard" sided for traveling abroad?

Our current luggage is almost 30 years old. It has held up well and only on our last cruise did one of them finally start to come apart at the seams. Yes, we are looking at that brand again but after so long I don't know if their current products are made as well. Over the past 30 years we usually would travel by car, or take non stop flights and of course... Disney cruises where they go from our hands directly to the porters. So in my opinion they have not really been abused too much. Our next trip will be fly to Europe, transfer to hotel, then a cruise, then more hotel transfers then fly back. We are looking to replace our luggage and want something that can withstand the abuse of multiple flights, etc and will hopefully last for many years to come and many, many more Disney Cruises.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations

Thank you for asking this question - DH and I are also looking at doing our first trip to Europe next year.

If I may ask a follow up question?
Can anyone recommend a good reliable brand of luggage to purchase? And do you recommend Soft or "hard" sided for traveling abroad?

Our current luggage is almost 30 years old. It has held up well and only on our last cruise did one of them finally start to come apart at the seams. Yes, we are looking at that brand again but after so long I don't know if their current products are made as well. Over the past 30 years we usually would travel by car, or take non stop flights and of course... Disney cruises where they go from our hands directly to the porters. So in my opinion they have not really been abused too much. Our next trip will be fly to Europe, transfer to hotel, then a cruise, then more hotel transfers then fly back. We are looking to replace our luggage and want something that can withstand the abuse of multiple flights, etc and will hopefully last for many years to come and many, many more Disney Cruises.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations

Samsung and Rimowa are still reliable brands, and nowadays also hard-shell suitcases are made with light weight materials so they are not that much heavier than soft-shell. I prefer hard, but that's a personal preference, I feel they are better to withstand 'abuse' ;-)

We're leaving for Europe this weekend and bringing backpacks. DH has traveled internationally with his bag on multiple trips and it has been a non-issue. The rest of us often travel throughout the US (home) with ours with ease. We just just have to buckle all of the straps or place inside a lightweight backpack duffel.

This is our preferred bag: It's an Osprey and what's nice is that the straps zip inside a hidden cover. It's not a bag that I take on a longer backpacking trip but could on a shorter trip, so double duty. Here's my Osprey bag, DH's is an older model that is very similar. It fits quite a but and has a detachable day pack that you can use as your carry on. We frequently use the carry on for DLR/WDW trips.

We actually use pretty “cheap” bags (maybe about 30$ or so). We often use soft bags and use a strap to compress it because the zippers are often weak spots. For us it is important that our bags are not to heavy so we can buy lots of stuff in the US (I love shopping)

One thing I would definitely recommend is putting all important stuff for the first (couple of) day(s) in your carry on item ( some shorts,shirts,...) just in case your bag gets lost! That way you don’t loose all of your first day abroad buying new stuff.
I am actually far more concerned by lost luggage than by a broken bag.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!