Luggage for older kids (and me!)

donan1212

Earning My Ears
I need to pack for myself and two daughters - youngest is 8 and oldest will be just about 10. I have no luggage so need to purchase some - we're flying Jet Blue and I want to try not to check luggage so I don't have to deal with the charges.

We can each take one carry on and one personal item. I found a good deal on a Samsonite Bartlett 20 inch rolling suitcase and am wondering if I should get one for each of us or get the girls each a slightly smaller one. Since they're getting older I don't want to invest in a kids one that they will outgrow shortly, but I do want something they can feasibly transport themselves through the airport.

I need to pack for myself and two daughters - youngest is 8 and oldest will be just about 10. I have no luggage so need to purchase some - we're flying Jet Blue and I want to try not to check luggage so I don't have to deal with the charges.

We can each take one carry on and one personal item. I found a good deal on a Samsonite Bartlett 20 inch rolling suitcase and am wondering if I should get one for each of us or get the girls each a slightly smaller one. Since they're getting older I don't want to invest in a kids one that they will outgrow shortly, but I do want something they can feasibly transport themselves through the airport.

Makes sense to me.
I bought DGD a 20" spinner (body size w/o wheels included in the count) for the same reasons you are considered. She was around 10 when I bought it and the idea is that not only will she be able to use it now but it will still be around when she goes off to college.
The one you picked has an interesting design what with having a built in shoe bag and toiletry bag. The outer pockets seem to be well designed as well. Very good that it has a stationary handle on at least one long side so that you can easily place it in the overhead bin.

Just a FYI about JetBlue in case you've never flown w/ them before: they frequently ask for volunteers to check luggage for free at the gate. We always volunteer since you pass the luggage off within the jet bridge and watch them load it directly onto the plane. In 8 years our suitcases have always been at our arrival airport.

Makes sense to me.
I bought DGD a 20" spinner (body size w/o wheels included in the count) for the same reasons you are considered. She was around 10 when I bought it and the idea is that not only will she be able to use it now but it will still be around when she goes off to college.
The one you picked has an interesting design what with having a built in shoe bag and toiletry bag. The outer pockets seem to be well designed as well. Very good that it has a stationary handle on at least one long side so that you can easily place it in the overhead bin.

Just a FYI about JetBlue in case you've never flown w/ them before: they frequently ask for volunteers to check luggage for free at the gate. We always volunteer since you pass the luggage off within the jet bridge and watch them load it directly onto the plane. In 8 years our suitcases have always been at our arrival airport.

Thanks! I went ahead and ordered three of them. Originally $170 each and I got all three for $185, so I figure I can't go wrong. I keep forgetting that my girls are not so little anymore and it makes more sense to get things that can grow with them. Although I did some adorable Disney little kid luggage that I'm sure my youngest would have loved!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!