LOVE Walker's new ecv's/thumb and wrist friendly and fully waterproof (without showe cap)

Belle1962

DIS Veteran
What can I say about the new ecv's/scooters? When they said they are new and upgraded they were being modest. The new ones are just unbelievable. I made some notes while there so here they are:

1) I just love new looking anything and anyone could tell these were kept in superb condition because they looked new and sparkling (even after what I am sure several rentals were made on it)
2) Their "extended battery range" was SUPER extended. One day I ran from opening at AK to close of AK AFTER their after dark event and was still in green.
3) There were a few days we forgot to charge it but it still stayed in green the next day.
4) When it was dropped off, the guy took the time to explain everything about the ecv to me. Very patient.
5) The new tillers are AWESOME! and VERY thumb friendly. I've had surgery on both thumbs and one wrist and the new tillers do not use thumb control. They are shaped the same way most of the other companies are. And the best part was I could use it either right handed or left handed because they were so easy to operate. Don't be afraid of these scooters if you have thumb, wrist or other hand issues.
6) It was very easy to take apart and none of the parts were heavy.
7) Broken apart it fit into a full size vehicle. My hesitation about Gold was they told me I had to have a small SUV or a mini-van with the back seats taken out or put down for either one of them.
8) For a 10 day trip, when I called, they gave me a discount. So call and ask-it couldn't hurt.
9) And they are FULLY WATERPROOF, even in the rain. You don't have to worry about any part getting wet. It was funny watching everyone on other companies ecv's running for cover when it rained. It was really a bother using the shower cap the way that Walker used to be and other companies still are. This should be a major consideration for anyone going in summer or watching the weather forecasts and see rain expected on some of their dates. Cancel with any other company and go with Walker-none of your days will be ruined by rain. You can still hit the parks with your scooter.
10) The loud volume of the horn was wonderful when I had to sound the alarm manually and it automatically sounds when you are backing up. No one could miss when I was backing up (even just an inch) because they heard it. At first I thought it was obnoxiously loud but after a few hours I could barely notice it. It sure beats the low, barely there, can't be noticed, volume on other scooters.
11) The lights for at night were bright and noticeable by others.
12) Cloth seats are always better than plastic/vinyl ones. No sticking to the seat or having it getting super hot if you park it outside for a meal or ride. My only concern was that I got sunscreen on it, but it wiped clean very easily.

Well, those are my notes. IMHO Walker is hands above the rest, especially due to their thumb friendly tiller and the waterproof features. I will still remain a faithful Walker customer for all of my trips to WDW and USF/IOA.

Thanks so much for the information, especially on the tillers. The main reason I stopped using Walker was the necessity of using your thumb to negotiate the tiller. I have arthritis in my thumbs (and elsewhere) and the Walker ECVs were very painful on my thumbs.

It looks like the company are competing with each other on there ECV and how good they are ( the conditions of them batteries life ) I think this will just make all ECV better for everyone.

In not getting in between the Walker\Gold debate about which is better. But the statement of having to cover the electrical components "ruining your day in the park". Is not true, when it rains it takes a few seconds too cover the components. I don't consider it a "bother". Rain certainly doesn't ruin my day!!

For the record, I did call Walker and was told I was a preferred customer and entitled to a discount. I was given a "preferred customer discount". It was $150 more.

Last edited:
What can I say about the new ecv's/scooters? When they said they are new and upgraded they were being modest. The new ones are just unbelievable. I made some notes while there so here they are:

1) I just love new looking anything and anyone could tell these were kept in superb condition because they looked new and sparkling (even after what I am sure several rentals were made on it)
2) Their "extended battery range" was SUPER extended. One day I ran from opening at AK to close of AK AFTER their after dark event and was still in green.
3) There were a few days we forgot to charge it but it still stayed in green the next day.
4) When it was dropped off, the guy took the time to explain everything about the ecv to me. Very patient.
5) The new tillers are AWESOME! and VERY thumb friendly. I've had surgery on both thumbs and one wrist and the new tillers do not use thumb control. They are shaped the same way most of the other companies are. And the best part was I could use it either right handed or left handed because they were so easy to operate. Don't be afraid of these scooters if you have thumb, wrist or other hand issues.
6) It was very easy to take apart and none of the parts were heavy.
7) Broken apart it fit into a full size vehicle. My hesitation about Gold was they told me I had to have a small SUV or a mini-van with the back seats taken out or put down for either one of them.
8) For a 10 day trip, when I called, they gave me a discount. So call and ask-it couldn't hurt.
9) And they are FULLY WATERPROOF, even in the rain. You don't have to worry about any part getting wet. It was funny watching everyone on other companies ecv's running for cover when it rained. It was really a bother using the shower cap the way that Walker used to be and other companies still are. This should be a major consideration for anyone going in summer or watching the weather forecasts and see rain expected on some of their dates. Cancel with any other company and go with Walker-none of your days will be ruined by rain. You can still hit the parks with your scooter.
10) The loud volume of the horn was wonderful when I had to sound the alarm manually and it automatically sounds when you are backing up. No one could miss when I was backing up (even just an inch) because they heard it. At first I thought it was obnoxiously loud but after a few hours I could barely notice it. It sure beats the low, barely there, can't be noticed, volume on other scooters.
11) The lights for at night were bright and noticeable by others.
12) Cloth seats are always better than plastic/vinyl ones. No sticking to the seat or having it getting super hot if you park it outside for a meal or ride. My only concern was that I got sunscreen on it, but it wiped clean very easily.

Well, those are my notes. IMHO Walker is hands above the rest, especially due to their thumb friendly tiller and the waterproof features. I will still remain a faithful Walker customer for all of my trips to WDW and USF/IOA.

Thank you for your great report.

The only scooter I've rented that had the backup horn was one rented by the parks - do other companies rental scooters also have this backup horn? I had no idea some rental companies had this. BV and Gold didn't have it (the 2 off-site companies I've rented from). If I understand correctly and it has an automatic horn that beeps when you put the scooter in reverse - this would be a deal breaker on that company for me. I absolutely cannot stand the backup horn (and have never used the regular horn) . I don't even like to hear it from other scooters -like you're not backing up an 18 wheeler here and can't see where you're going lol. I seriously hate that noise - I hate hearing it when it's not me and when it was me in the scooter I was mortified cause everyone turns to look. The day I had to rent a park scooter at Universal I did my best not to ever have to go in reverse.:scared:

I do hope the rental companies keep improving their equipment - it's good to have that competition - and it's great they have the tillers that are thumb friendly.

Looking for the brand and model of these new scooters, please.

FYI. The only time I had to use the horn was if someone was walking dead on in front of me and not paying attention so I knew we were goi gang to meet and my choice was sit still and get their attention or try to move over and hit other people. I had to back up very few times and that was when someone in line behind me was practically part of the scooter and the CM needed me to back up. I got used to the horn, but then again having used ecv/scooter for 20 years I rarely needed to use it. I’m used to eyeballing those around me and can tell almost every time who’s going to cause an issue. But if a loud horn bothers you I wouldn’t recommend these. I’ve gotten used to stares and comments but not everyone can handle them. At first I couldn’t. There were times my husband had to talk me down from crying or almost crying.

glad you had a good experience with Walker. we used Gold last year and have it reserved for this year. we also had a good experience with gold. guess most folks find a favorite and stick with them. thanks for the info! always nice to have options!

How did you keep the seat from getting wet if it was cloth? Does it come with a cover for the rain?

The Walker ECVs look great. According to my comparison they are considerably more expensive than Gold Mobility and others.
For a week, $270 vs $150.

The Walker ECVs look great. According to my comparison they are considerably more expensive than Gold Mobility and others.
For a week, $270 vs $150.
My Walker quote for 11 nights is $323.00. My Gold quote was $236.49. I had to cancel Gold since they don't deliver to the Hyatt Regency Orlando Airport. Gold
actually told me they had to cancel since TSA will not let them deliver to the airport hotel. I am a regular customer with Walker so I'm ok. Have used them several
times..

The airports are becoming stricter with trucks being able to park near airport entrances. Nothing against any company, just a sign of the times we live in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!