Love bugs

jberndt10

Mouseketeer
Are they always bad in September or do they just happen to be worse at AKL. We were totally swarmed at the Kidani pool. Taking a September trip again

I've been to Orlando in September 4 times so far and only ever noticed them last year. Of course that was at Kidani and was our first stay at the resort. My friend that came along assumed they couldn't "spray" as much there because of the animals. But don't take my word on it.

They have two swarms. A large one in May and a smaller one in September/October. Where I live in the Sarasota area we get them really bad. Theres nothing you can do to stop them. They’re attracted to car exhaust and the color white. Luckly they are harmless.

The amount of Love Bugs seems to be very variable. I go to WDW roughly the same time every mid-September. I've been overwhelmed a couple times, and I've not seen more than a very few love bugs other times. The worst time, I was at BCV. Coincidently, it was a split stay with AKV-Jambo, and they weren't too bad there.

I go in May every year and never had even seen them until this past May, they were so bad we couldn't be on the balcony the first few days.

I have seen them the past few Septembers, although in varying amounts, this past one not as bad as 2018. In 2018 I had to ask a Floridian what the heck they were

Just confirming that they were bad this last May--they seemed to clear up the last week of May.

Does fly spray keep them away? If not what does?

Does fly spray keep them away? If not what does?
No. they just float around in the sky and land wherever they want to land. They don't bite, they are just a nuisance and can ruin your car's paint. Plus you'll need to scrap their remains off the windshield with a paint scraper. Don't bother trying to get them off with windshield wipers.

We were at Kidani in October and they were so bad! We were trying to lay by the pool and chill but it was less than relaxing to have them landing on you every couple of seconds. Come with the territory I guess but I don't think I've ever noticed them that bad before.

They don't bite, they are just a nuisance and can ruin your car's paint.

This is a random car that we saw at Disney Springs in May. Those bugs looked baked on especially since the temp was around 99 degrees for several days.IMG_3440.jpg

Are they more active during a certain time of day? Morning or evening?

It's so funny, I didn't notice them as much at night. We went on a cruise and they were all over the boat! Our cruise was in the middle of May. By the time we got back, they were mostly gone. But it was crazy!

They are everywhere in May. It is what it is. Some years are worse than others. This past May was particularly icky. Even one of the guys in the show at Hoop De Doo Review made a joke about them. He blew his nose on stage (part of the script, not just random 😂 ), glanced down at his handkerchief and said, "I think there's a love bug in there." 😂 😂 😂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter