Love bug swarm on the Dream

xiphoid76

DIS Veteran
just coming back today from the Dream. Boarding on 5/13 was delayed while they tried to rid the ships decks on the bugs. Then they canceled outdoor eating on opening day and only opened Cabanas and the MDR. Seating inside was chaotic and some people tried eating outside but the bugs were ferocious.

Our balcony 6192 - the flag pole one had about 2,000 bugs on it and swarming around. We killed about 20 inside our cabin. The next day, housekeeping did an amazing job cleaning off many of the bugs and they were completely gone by the time we left Nassau.

It was definitely a unique beginning to a trip. Once we could go on our balcony we loved it!! Disney did an amazing job - I watched them sweep all the bugs off deck 4 and 9 while exercising the first morning on the ship.

I hope never to see these bugs again!!

just coming back today from the Dream. Boarding on 5/13 was delayed while they tried to rid the ships decks on the bugs. Then they canceled outdoor eating on opening day and only opened Cabanas and the MDR. Seating inside was chaotic and some people tried eating outside but the bugs were ferocious.

Our balcony 6192 - the flag pole one had about 2,000 bugs on it and swarming around. We killed about 20 inside our cabin. The next day, housekeeping did an amazing job cleaning off many of the bugs and they were completely gone by the time we left Nassau.

It was definitely a unique beginning to a trip. Once we could go on our balcony we loved it!! Disney did an amazing job - I watched them sweep all the bugs off deck 4 and 9 while exercising the first morning on the ship.

I hope never to see these bugs again!!

Gross :rolleyes2

I was thinking about a May 2020 trip, but I’ve been reading so much about the live bugs this year that I’m going for April 2020. We’ve done April before without any trouble and these bugs seem horrible. I’ve had them in October, but nothing that causes any issue. What you describe is next level gross.

I’ve lived in Florida my whole life. Lovebugs are more annoying than gross. Of course, anything in swarms that large do edge into the “gross” category.

I have never seen lovebugs as bad as this year. The closest I remember was September of 1989 when I bought my first house. Lots of swarming then also. But I can almost guarantee that the lovebugs won’t be as bad next time you sail. Some years, they are practically non-existent.

Back in the 70s, they seemed to be a lot worse than most years (other than this one) now. I remember most cars having screens on their fronts so that they could keep operating since there were SO MANY it would clog the engines if you didn't have a screen. I'm not a Florida resident though, so others know best. I just remember I haven't seen anything recently like it was back then. Reports from this year remind me of those old days. Or at least what I remember those years being like.

I'm not an insect biologist. I have no idea why they have made a resurgence after all those years.

My theory is that Hurricane Michael disrupted their natural processes because here in the Big Bend area, we haven't seen that many at all but other places are dealing with swarms. Love Bugs are one of those things (when you live here) that you just deal with and move on. You forget about them until you see them or read about them in other areas of the state.

Glad they were only a small inconvenience for you OP.

I’ve lived in Florida my whole life. Lovebugs are more annoying than gross. Of course, anything in swarms that large do edge into the “gross” category.

I have never seen lovebugs as bad as this year. The closest I remember was September of 1989 when I bought my first house. Lots of swarming then also. But I can almost guarantee that the lovebugs won’t be as bad next time you sail. Some years, they are practically non-existent.

Yep lived in Florida my whole life and this is the worst I've seen in many, many years but I think they're nearly gone, at least until Sept.

I don't know if it's true or an old wives' tale, but i always heard that they liked white things, and I do see that both the man fishing and the cruise ship area shown had white areas. So it is true? Is it just a coincidence because there's a lot of white in the clothing and architecture of warmer states? I don't know. But I might avoid white just in case. ;)

DH and I went on May 10. WE saw MANY on our way to the Port. SPLAT...SPLAT on the the windshield. But by the time we got on the ship, it was pretty good. We were able to eat outdoors the first day. We have always sailed in May and I have never seen these bugs B4 then.

That reminds me of this past fall in NH. Everywhere you drove you'd see squashed squirrels on the road. The occurrence made the news too. It was a very unusual year.

Yep we were on the Dream on May 6-10. It was horrible trying to do the drill outside. People were swatting and kids were screaming. My husband’s white shirt got stained by the bugs smashing on the shirt. Note to self, don’t wear white during lovebug season. Of course our next cruise is August/September which is part 2 of LB season.

They were thick on the walls.

Attachments

• 864D4839-59D2-4AB6-B21F-975F2B9EADD3.jpeg
    864D4839-59D2-4AB6-B21F-975F2B9EADD3.jpeg
    44.4 KB · Views: 73
I encountered many of the bugs in and around POR before the cruise. They are annoying..especially when you're trying to sit out by the pool.

On embarkation day on 5/11, I didn't see any bugs during the muster drill and at cabanas. We had a verandah stateroom so I guess I got lucky.

DH and I went on May 10. WE saw MANY on our way to the Port. SPLAT...SPLAT on the the windshield. But by the time we got on the ship, it was pretty good. We were able to eat outdoors the first day. We have always sailed in May and I have never seen these bugs B4 then.

We were on Dream May 10th and had the same experience. Our windshield and front grill were completely covered on the drive from airport, but we didn't notice any one we got to the ship. We've been to WDW and cruised out of Port Canaveral many times in May and this was our first encounter with love bugs.

Anyone been in the last 10 days? We are flying down this Sunday for Monday's Dream departure; hope that the bugs have diminished since my youngest DS will probably not react well to a swarm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter