lounges for mid-day breaks?

FriendoftheHatter

Earning My Ears
Hello all,
I'm trying to plan afternoon breaks for my solo trip in march and i'm looking for places to relax in the parks (or nearby) instead of spending a lot of travel time getting back to my hotel. I've been especially looking at lounges and bars I've traditionally overlooked since i'm usually on the dining plan. Seems like there are some really good places where I can relax for a small meal and a drink. I'd like to be able to hangout and not be pressured to get up quickly so they can turn the table.

So far I've been looking at
AK- Nomad Lounge
HS- Brown Derby Lounge
MK- Trader Sam's (would this be better after park close? I definitely want to go here)

Any other recommendations for places like this to chill out for a bit? Good food and drink and/or good people watching locations are really ideal. Also looking for good/bad experiences at the places I mentioned!

Thanks so much!

Yes to Nomad Lounge and Brown Derby Lounge, but I’d skip Trader Sams if you want a break. It’s cramped and loud and it’s a lot of fun for late night drinks but not a very relaxing mid-day break scene.

In Epcot I’d recommend Tuto Gusto Wine Cellar in Italy or La Cava del Tequilia in Mexico, and at MK any of the main restaurant lounges in the GF, Poly, or Contemporary. Just try not to hit the most popular ADR times so the lounges won’t be too packed.

More specifically Trader Sams Tiki Terrace at the Poly that is outside and opposite Trader Sams is awesome if it’s not raining. Get the spikey pineapple and say yes when they ask if you want it extra spikey :)

Last edited:
Ak - nomad lounge is awesome!
HS Brown Derby lounge is good, or Baseline Tap House (great people watching area). The lounge at 50s diner is supposed to be good, just not a fan.
EPCOT - Tutto Gusto in Italy is very good. If the wait isn't too long, La Cava in Mexico is good if you like tequilla.
Trader Sams is really fun. Have only been there at opening ( need to be in line 30-45 minutes before opening). Haven't been there later.

You’ve picked some good ones! For the parks - Nomad is soooo relaxing, I almost fell asleep in the comfy wicker seat last visit. No pressure to turn tables there. Brown Derby Lounge is a must-do for us every trip. Great people watching and service is quite slow so again, you won’t feel pressure to hurry. Tutto Gusto is a welcome place to cool down in Epcot for sure, not as casual as Nomad or HBD Lounge. We love la Cava but it is quite lively and can be hard to get a table.

Since MK doesn’t have lounges, you could hit the monorail resorts. Mizners at GF has some nice cozy seats and the band is great (Not sure what time they start). The Tiki terrace at Poly is great too (as PP mentioned, Trader Sams is pretty hectic). Wilderness Lodge has Territory Lounge and Geyser Point.

You could also head to Disney Springs (however buses from the parks only run from 4pm on). Jock Lindsey’s Hangar Bar outdoor seating is lovely, as is the outdoor deck at the Boathouse.

When at MK, you may want to consider Geyser Point at Wilderness Lodge. IMO It’s a nice break from the crowds, plus you have that relaxing boat ride. They have some unique drinks and food you won’t find elsewhere.

HS Brown Derby lounge is good, or Baseline Tap House (great people watching area). The lounge at 50s diner is supposed to be good, just not a fan.
EPCOT - Tutto Gusto in Italy is very good. If the wait isn't too long, La Cava in Mexico is good if you like tequilla.

I forgot about Baseline Tap House! And I've never tried Tutto Gusto, but I'm a Food and Wine Vet so the seats near the front of the Italy courtyard have always been a favorite to sit down with a snack and a drink. I'm for sure planning on snacking my way through the World Showcase QS choices and hanging out on my favorite benches to people watch. Not quite as relaxing as a lounge, but always one of my favorite things to do.

Since MK doesn’t have lounges, you could hit the monorail resorts. Mizners at GF has some nice cozy seats and the band is great (Not sure what time they start). The Tiki terrace at Poly is great too (as PP mentioned, Trader Sams is pretty hectic). Wilderness Lodge has Territory Lounge and Geyser Point.

Didn't even think about WL. I might check that out... And i've never eaten in the GF, just wandered through the Lobby so Mizners could be really cool.

You could also head to Disney Springs (however buses from the parks only run from 4pm on). Jock Lindsey’s Hangar Bar outdoor seating is lovely, as is the outdoor deck at the Boathouse.

I have a list of things I want to check out at Disney Springs! I'm at POR so i think my plan for some nights is going to be bus there after park close, then boat/bus back to POR. I want to check out the Edison!

While in MK area, sometimes we head over to The Wave Lounge at the Contemporary to grab lunch and a beverage.

The Wave is good for a MK option. Pretty solid food and drink selection last time we were there, but it's been a while. Agree with Tutto Gusto and Epcot. Another option would be go out the back gate to Yacht Club and hit Ale & Compass or Crew's Cup lounges. The tequila bar is interesting but it's been super-packed the couple of times we went there and not worth the hassle for me. We like Baseline at DHS but it also is popular--we got there about 10 minutes before it opened last trip and weren't the first in line and there was a pretty long line shortly after opening. Food menu is pretty limited. At AK it seems like Nomad Lounge is a good option but haven't been yet.

Another vote for the Tiki Terrace. I love to grab a table overlooking the pool and Lagoon and then settling in for drinks, snacks, and live ukulele music. I was able to snag a spot inside Trader Sam’s once and although it was awesomely themed, it was one of the rare times that I felt out of place because I was solo.

While in MK area, sometimes we head over to The Wave Lounge at the Contemporary to grab lunch and a beverage.

This! We always hit The Wave lounge after a morning at Magic Kingdom. Great drinks, comfy seating, and not too crowded in the afternoons. Kind of isolated so not the best for people watching, but it’s a nice break.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter