Lots of coughing while on Fantasy Jan. 18 none when off ship, anyone else?

lklgoodman

DIS Veteran
Wondering if anyone else experienced this? I started having a dry cough on Thursday. Soon as we got on CC the cough was completely gone. Got back on the ship and within 45 mins the cough was back. Got off this morning and haven't been coughing. I noticed A LOT of people coughing towards the end of the cruise.

Wondering if anyone else experienced this? I started having a dry cough on Thursday. Soon as we got on CC the cough was completely gone. Got back on the ship and within 45 mins the cough was back. Got off this morning and haven't been coughing. I noticed A LOT of people coughing towards the end of the cruise.
I cough when I'm in air conditioned spaces more than I do when outdoors.

It's not unusual for a cold, or some other respiratory disease, to spread on a cruise. After all, you are in close contact with upwards of 2000 of your new best friends both day and night. And, sadly, one person's "It's just a runny nose" can blow up to a full blown, nasty cold rapidly.

Last edited:
I cough when I'm in air conditioned spaces more than I do when outdoors.

It's not unusual for a cold, or some other respiratory disease, to spread on a cruise. After all, you are in close contact with upwards of 2000 of you new best friends both day and night. And, sadly, one person's "It's just a runny nose" can blow up to a full blown, nasty cold rapidly.

This was our 6th cruise and have never had this happen before, 3rd time on the Fantasy. I'm thinking it could have been some type of allergic reaction to something on the ship since it went away as soon as we got off at CC. A cold would have had me coughing while we were at CC.

Conditioned air tends to be dry. Going back and forth can cause a little cough which should normalize when you are home. If not, try a cool mist humidifier for a few days if it keeps on after you have returned home.

I got a cough starting on Tuesday and it hasn’t lessened up. On the same sailing. I smelled some type of fumes the entire time I was there.

Sounds like either the airconditioning needs to be cleaned or you could have been sensitive to something else, like maybe a cleaning product? I know I usually feel my nose start to close off when I walk by the parts where they have shampooed the carpets.

I got a cough starting on Tuesday and it hasn’t lessened up. On the same sailing. I smelled some type of fumes the entire time I was there.
Wonder if that was related to the mechanical issues that caused the change of itinerary on the Jan 25 cruise.

It is possible that OP did have a cold and just felt a bit better being on land in the warm, more humid air than on the ship. I know when I am sick, running a humidifier or taking a hot shower really helps with the cough.

A/C?

OP here, the cough went away again once I got off the ship. It wasn't a cold, never had any other symptoms that one gets with a cold. Had to be something on the ship causing it. Allergic reaction to something probably. Now if my house would just stop rocking, always takes me a couple of days to regain my land legs.

OP here, the cough went away again once I got off the ship. It wasn't a cold, never had any other symptoms that one gets with a cold. Had to be something on the ship causing it. Allergic reaction to something probably. Now if my house would just stop rocking, always takes me a couple of days to regain my land legs.

Regarding the rocking problem:

Have you ever tries a vestibular rehabilitation treatment (with a physical therapist)? It usually fix the problem within 24 hours for me. :)

Regarding the rocking problem:

Have you ever tries a vestibular rehabilitation treatment (with a physical therapist)? It usually fix the problem within 24 hours for me. :)

Never heard of it, what do they do? I live in a small town, so usually have to wait several weeks to get into any dr, unless it's an emergency. I always have it for a day or two. It's only been bothersome as I take laundry out of the dryer. I'm on load number 5, unfortunately I was behind before we left for the cruise.

We were on the January 4 sailing Western, and I started coughing in MCO on the way home. Hadn't stopped until a few days ago. It was just a dry, annoying cough, no other symptoms. I was trying to tell DH it was because I was allergic to not being on the Fantasy or at least having another trip planned...didn't get away with that strategy and now that I've stopped coughing I will have to come up with a different angle.

We sailed the Fantasy from December 28th - January 4th, and there was no excessive illness apparently going around, no fumes, neither of us got sick during or after, and we never had a cough. So if there is any issue with the ship, it would have to be of very recent origin. I agree with a PP that dry AC air could possibly be aggravating a low-level problem.

The flu is going around really bad right now in general. Two weeks ago we had a horrific week of it at school, with several kids absent from every class each day, and one class of 25 down to 8 students, due to illness. It's definitely hit hard this month.

Never heard of it, what do they do? I live in a small town, so usually have to wait several weeks to get into any dr, unless it's an emergency. I always have it for a day or two. It's only been bothersome as I take laundry out of the dryer. I'm on load number 5, unfortunately I was behind before we left for the cruise.

Usually, the physical therapist does the Epley Manoeuver. (I go to a private clinic when I see that it lasts more than 1 or 2 days.) If I understand correctly, it puts back the crystals (in our ears, that were displaced by the rocking of the ship) at the right place.

Just got finished watching a vlog from the January 11th to 18th Fantasy sailing and they both were coughing towards the end of the trip and indicated there were more guest experiencing it.

We were on that sailing and both my kids started coughing on the ship. One was fine once we got off, the other seems to be lingering but hers is now gunky. We often experience coughing and congestion more on the cruise, but I have a dust allergy, that I likely passed on to my kids. And while the rooms are clean, and vacuumed, I don't think they're dusted on a regular basis.

My allergies are very much dependent on my environment. Certain products or smells can irritate me. So I will get a cough like you experienced. It does not make you sick and contagious, just having a reaction to something. I can imagine if you were set off by something, that others were too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter