Loss of a DIS'er

The obit says family visitation followed by funeral services are being held today. Is burial not part of funeral services?
It had the same address as the visitation so it appeared to me that they weren't going anywhere to bury her. I could be wrong of course.

It had the same address as the visitation so it appeared to me that they weren't going anywhere to bury her. I could be wrong of course.
Could also be a mausoleum. We have a lot of those here. I assumed there was no autopsy since services were scheduled so soon. If she had a chronic illness and/or the cause of death was obvious, I don’t think they would do one.

Could also be a mausoleum. We have a lot of those here. I assumed there was no autopsy since services were scheduled so soon. If she had a chronic illness and/or the cause of death was obvious, I don’t think they would do one.
I honestly have no idea. I'm completely guessing about all of it.

You’d think anyone who died unexpectedly would warrant an autopsy though, right?
Depends. She had one or more preexisting medical conditions that could have exacerbated her passing. My dad and my brother each died suddenly at home (a number of years apart.) Dad had had a heart attack and surgery, and police trusted my family that he had another heart attack in his sleep.

My brother had a different condition that affected his heart, and again police trusted this information. Police came automate with the 911 calls.

I would think even cremation would be mentioned somewhere, though.

My Mom passed from cancer, and we only had to call the funeral home to come. The hospice people handled the death certificate, and there was no autopsy because her cause of death was obvious. My dad was killed in a car accident, and even though it was obvious that he died as a result of the crash, there was an autopsy. I guess it depends on if a coroner is involved maybe? Like it's at their discretion.

Oh boy, this thread has me googling all kinds of things I’ve never been curious about before.

Autopsies in Tennessee are at the discretion of the Coroner. If there wasn't anything suspicious about her death (or, possibly, if the family doesn't request it), there probably won't be an autopsy.

On the other hand, the obituary doesn't mention any burial information.
Yes and no. There are some cases where it’s left to the discretion of the Medical Examiner, but Tennessee law specifies a lengthy list of circumstances where an investigation must be done, including:
Deaths occurring suddenly in a person in apparent good health; Deaths in which the body is to be cremated; Deaths of adults lacking a medical diagnosis which could reasonably result in death;
Deaths due or related to any of the above or any other non-natural event, regardless of the time elapsed between the injury and death. If death is related in any way to a single identifiable injury or poisoning event, the period of time between the non-natural event and the death is irrelevant. Examples of delayed deaths include:

* An elderly person who dies months after becoming bedridden from a fall

* A person who dies of bladder infection due to paralysis following a car crash years before

* A person who develops pneumonia as the result of lack of oxygen to the brain after choking on food.

I imagine her prior brain injury and death would mean her death would fall into the latter category of delayed death if nothing else.

https://www.tn.gov/health/health-program-areas/oscme/resources.html#copyautopsyreport
I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that indicated cremation and no burial would take place.

I think you’re probably right. I went back to her obit and the home page noted there is a crematorium onsite but no mention of a cemetery.

I don’t think the timeline indicates anything one way or the other. There’s been plenty of time for an autopsy to be performed.

“Generally, the Medical Examiner will try to conduct the examination within 24 to 48 hours after the deceased has been brought to the ME’s office. In most cases the deceased can be released to the funeral home once the medical examination has been completed.”

https://www.us-funerals.com/funeral-articles/medical-examiner-funerals.html

The obit says family visitation followed by funeral services are being held today. Is burial not part of funeral services?

Yes, burial is part of the funeral service.
It is very possible that the cemetery and church share the same property.

Very sorry to hear this. Who knows what we all deal with in "real life". I have often wondered if other Dis'ers who have disappeared over the years may have passed away and no one knows it. Sad. I think I had "moments" with Amberpi, but that is all just message board silliness. Her death is truly sad.

I am so shocked and saddened. I always felt a kinship with Amber being around the same age, in the dating game, having serious injuries to overcome and landing on the same side on almost every issue. Deepest condolences to her husband and especially her parents. I'm glad she found happiness in her life and I'm sure she will be sorely missed by the causes she supported, her family and friends and here on the DIS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!