Looks like no room privacy now.

No, it wouldn't. They have a tool that can easily open that from the outside.

I'm not justifying anyone trying to barricade themselves into a hotel room, btw. Just stating the fact that the sliding bar won't keep them out.
It would have let housekeeping know someone was in the room and kept them from coming in....Just saying...

I love our stateroom hosts on the cruise. They do an amazing job! What I don't like is any kind of "security" checks either at WDW or on the cruise. I don't like being treated like a criminal because I went on vacation and am staying in a hotel room.

I love our stateroom hosts on the cruise. They do an amazing job! What I don't like is any kind of "security" checks either at WDW or on the cruise. I don't like being treated like a criminal because I went on vacation and am staying in a hotel room.

If you have the standard visits by the stateroom host, THAT is your check. The checks are primarily done on the people who wanted to leave their DND signs up all the time.

Well, obviously they're reserving the right to enter cabins to rummage for vibranium, because, duh, it's already a known fact that it cannot be detected by metal detectors.

On a bit of a more serious note, I think we're over analyzing it. If there was more to it than clarifying a policy that's always been in place, they would've just removed the DND signs all together. Why have them when they could've just sneaked the clause in the fine print of the Cruise Contract? I don't know...I could be wrong. Things change. Times change. Travel in general has changed in the last 20 years. TSA, liquids, border crossing requirements, etc. Disney has plenty of their own rules and policies they don't enforce properly, especially in the parks. Would I like it if someone barged in on me? No, no more than kids running in the hallways like it's a stampede, but considering how lax Disney is about rules, I for one am glad DCL isn't anarchy. Is it an inconvenience? Of course. Does it have potential for screw ups, and violations? Uh, yeah. Everything and everyone does. If you haven't heard of the latest kerfuffle involving United, Google it. At least DCL and Disney in general isn't Level United yet, right? LOL.

Well, obviously they're reserving the right to enter cabins to rummage for vibranium, because, duh, it's already a known fact that it cannot be detected by metal detectors.

On a bit of a more serious note, I think we're over analyzing it. If there was more to it than clarifying a policy that's always been in place, they would've just removed the DND signs all together. Why have them when they could've just sneaked the clause in the fine print of the Cruise Contract? I don't know...I could be wrong. Things change. Times change. Travel in general has changed in the last 20 years. TSA, liquids, border crossing requirements, etc. Disney has plenty of their own rules and policies they don't enforce properly, especially in the parks. Would I like it if someone barged in on me? No, no more than kids running in the hallways like it's a stampede, but considering how lax Disney is about rules, I for one am glad DCL isn't anarchy. Is it an inconvenience? Of course. Does it have potential for screw ups, and violations? Uh, yeah. Everything and everyone does. If you haven't heard of the latest kerfuffle involving United, Google it. At least DCL and Disney in general isn't Level United yet, right? LOL.

AND unless you are one who tells your cabin steward to never come in your room, there is really no change in policy. The daily checks thing only really applies to those who are paranoid enough to be all "DO NOT ENTER" for the entire length of stay or cruise. For the rest of us who have no issues with the cabin steward coming in a couple of times a day, there will likely be NO other checks.

On last year's EBTA, I was down at Guest Services to add to my gratuities and there was a gentleman next to me who was insisting very loudly that the stateroom host gratuity be removed completely from his stateroom's accounts because they had the DND sign up the whole time on the 2-week cruise and refused to let the stateroom host into the cabin and so he felt justified in not paying for services not provided.

I presume that the cabin did not require any cleaning or maintenance when they boarded, and of course everything was untouched and didn't need to be reset for the next set of guests on the following cruise.

Man...when we stayed at the Dolphin in 2015, we took them up on the discount in exchange for less frequent housekeeping. So. Many. Regrets. Even when they were coming in every...Idk, I think it was every 3 days? Even then the room got to be such a mess with the trash not being taken out, towels not refreshed, etc., and I don't think of myself as being a particularly messy traveler. I don't know how you'd go two weeks in one room without any kind of refresh and not have it be gross. And then, yes, even if his party didn't mind, it's not as though the stateroom host didn't have any work to do to turn it over for the next cruise....

No, it wouldn't. They have a tool that can easily open that from the outside.

I'm not justifying anyone trying to barricade themselves into a hotel room, btw. Just stating the fact that the sliding bar won't keep them out.

There has literally been not one report of a CM breaking into a room when the slider lock was thrown. Of course it's possible but it's not something that happens on a regular basis. If it was there would be reports all over social media.

A cheaper, old fashioned product exists for this item. A rubber door stop, available at any hardware or big box store for about $2.00. I never travel without a couple of them.

But if you put them up to the door they can be kicked in..... if you put them back from the door you can reach in and move them aside.

But if you put them up to the door they can be kicked in..... if you put them back from the door you can reach in and move them aside.
No-one is going to be kicking in doors, unless there is a real emergency. For instance, they are getting no response from anyone in the room for a long period of time and they are concerned that you've had a heart attack or something. If they have to abandon ship, or there is a fire, they are going to check your room if you're not accounted for. I want them to be able to get in if they think someone might be in danger!
I really think some people are going overboard on the paranoia here. As long as you're not leaving your placard out 24/7 no-one is going to be bothering you with security/safety checks.

I have so many things going through my mind...

Disney mousekeeping check list.
7:00 start making beds and cleaning bathrooms
10:00 removal of room service trays
11:30 check for dead bodies in unmade rooms
2:00 deliver H2O to people who tipped in advance
6:00 make towel Animal using glasses left in room and sweep room for explosive devices and guns.

Please know I’m trying to be funny and not anything derogatory.

No-one is going to be kicking in doors, unless there is a real emergency. For instance, they are getting no response from anyone in the room for a long period of time and they are concerned that you've had a heart attack or something. If they have to abandon ship, or there is a fire, they are going to check your room if you're not accounted for. I want them to be able to get in if they think someone might be in danger!
I really think some people are going overboard on the paranoia here. As long as you're not leaving your placard out 24/7 no-one is going to be bothering you with security/safety checks.

No, I meant the wedge if pushed under the door will extend to the exterior and can be easily kicked (or pushed) back into the room, away from the door.

On formal night in the afternoon we were both in the cabin and had the do not disturbed sign on the door. We heard a knock and the stateroom attendant had my dry cleaning and said I am sorry to disturb you but I thought you would need this for tonight. DH was just resting on the bed so that was OK with us. This was before the new procedures were initiated.

On formal night in the afternoon we were both in the cabin and had the do not disturbed sign on the door. We heard a knock and the stateroom attendant had my dry cleaning and said I am sorry to disturb you but I thought you would need this for tonight. DH was just resting on the bed so that was OK with us. This was before the new procedures were initiated.

FWIW, the "new procedures" would still have them knock on the door.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter