Looks like no room privacy now.

You need to read the WDW resort board. There have actually been multiple reports of this happening. A WDW customer service issue is unlikely to make it into a news article, btw. That's one reason why people come to the boards to post & receive info.

This kind of thing has been reported numerous times on the resort boards. It isn't something that only happened to the poster you responded to. It's now part of WDW policy, apparently. That's why some people are so concerned about the practice spreading to DCL.

I have not been over there, but I will take your word on that. To be fair, while “multiple reports” on a Disney nerd message board might seem like a lot to us, it equates to -what?- probably 0.001% of the people who have been to WDW so far this year. I am not sure that translates into a widespread issue. At least, not yet.

I am not referring to anyone specific in this thread, but both you and I have been on these boards long enough to know that there are some hothouse flowers around here who will inflate a minor inconvenience or perceived gaffe into a sure sign of the End Times.

And if I am wrong, and a broad enough sample of people start complaining (to Disney directly, not on these boards) and threatening to stay off-site, Disney will adjust.

I have not been over there, but I will take your word on that. To be fair, while “multiple reports” on a Disney nerd message board might seem like a lot to us, it equates to -what?- probably 0.001% of the people who have been to WDW so far this year. I am not sure that translates into a widespread issue. At least, not yet.

I am not referring to anyone specific in this thread, but both you and I have been on these boards long enough to know that there are some hothouse flowers around here who will inflate a minor inconvenience or perceived gaffe into a sure sign of the End Times.

And if I am wrong, and a broad enough sample of people start complaining (to Disney directly, not on these boards) and threatening to stay off-site, Disney will adjust.
Don't take just my word for it. Other posters on this thread have read the reports, too, and have mentioned them. At least one poster on this thread experienced it himself, even though it's only been happening for a short time.

The descriptions were of Disney security people barging in on them and their families while they were undressed, while their kids were sleeping, while they were in bed napping, etc., and they experienced not being allowed even 30 seconds of privacy to prepare themselves for someone to enter their room.

It doesn't take a Disney nerd to be upset about that. It takes a Disney nerd to insinuate that anyone who reports that kind of treatment at a Disney resort is likely exaggerating, and that it's really no big deal.

Last edited:
Just to be clear this doesn't bother me one bit.
I’m almost with you there. But there will be incidents where some person is overzealous/abusing their authority in enforcing the new policy, and that is something to be concerned about.

And it’s annoying to have that thought in the back of your mind.

I think what some of you are failing to realize is that this isn't some new policy Disney is rolling out today. This has always been a thing. Disney is now just making the guidelines more obvious by putting them on your door tag.

Make no mistake about it. The policy for any hotel operator has been to enter the room whenever they feel the need. No sign is going to stop them. If they knock and you don't answer, they are going in. We often leave our sign out for multiple days when at a hotel. We have had the front desk call and tell us it is their policy to enter every room at least once every 3rd day. Other places just go in and leave a note and we suspect there are many others where they come in and we simply don't know about it.

Oh, and those deadbolts don't keep them out either. The deadbolt that is near the door handle is also controlled by the room master key. The deadbolt only keeps out those with a typical room key.

That said, there may be an important legal reason why the signs are changing. If you have a DND sign, you have an "expectation of privacy". If anything happens or is discovered while you have a DND sign, there are possible legal implications that would be different than a sign that states "Privacy Please". Privacy Please is a request for privacy with an implication that such a request may not be honored.

It's possible that these changes are part of a policy change across all Disney hotel properties, which could include random checks. However, to assume it's going to mean frequent or widespread random room checks is quite the stretch. Occasional, clearly, but it's highly likely those were already occurring.

Don't take just my word for it. Other posters on this thread have read the reports, too, and have mentioned them. At least one poster on this thread experienced it himself, even though it's only been happening for a short time.

The descriptions were of Disney security people barging in on them and their families while they were undressed, while their kids were sleeping, while they were in bed napping, etc., and they experienced not being allowed even 30 seconds of privacy to prepare themselves for someone to enter their room.

It doesn't take a Disney nerd to be upset about that. It takes a Disney nerd to insinuate that anyone who reports that kind of treatment at a Disney resort is likely exaggerating, and that it's really no big deal.

Okay, I went over to the resorts board and read the stickied thread for people reporting their experiences since the change in door hangers/change in policy. I had not previously been aware that there was an actual policy change at WDW, and full disclaimer -- I don't object to the new daily room check policy at WDW at all even now that I do know.

The descriptions I read indicated that most checks are occurring when guests are out of the room, and that most requests to have mousekeeping come at another time have been honored. While I did read a few entries that indicated poor customer service on the part of individual CMs (such as the woman who went to clarify the practical effects of the policy and got a hyper-defensive response from a CM), I view that as falling under the typical "most CMs will do well, but occasionally one will provide very poor service" mental rule that has always been true of WDW -- I certainly recognize and believe that a small number of people have had bad experiences and definitely think that they should report that to Disney, in detail, when it happens. It just doesn't sound to me like that's been the norm. The most pervasive complaint about policy implementation that I read in that thread was that the CMs would come back and knock again every half-hour or hour if told to come back "later," which doesn't surprise me because what does "later" even mean? How is a CM supposed to divine when the guest intends to be out of the room if given such vague instructions?

All of that being said, I'm going to wait for official word from DCL before I assume that they're implementing the same daily check policy as in the land-based resorts in the first place. Besides cruise guests already (on average, though I'm sure there are some who decline service) having crew members in their staterooms more frequently than resort guests, there is also the matter of, as others have pointed out, it being much more difficult to bring a firearm onto a cruise ship than into a resort.

The think a lot of you are missing the big picture here. This is not just another "minor inconvenience", this is going too far. Especially on the cruise where we already had our bags scanned and gone through security. It is fine for them to enter the room if needed, maintenance, etc. No one has an issue with this. But just random "check ups" as if everyone is a psycho killer is crossing the line. Innocent until proven guilty. There is a lot that I can put up with, going through metal detectors, security cameras following our every move, but to have our private quarters invaded regularly is too far! This is starting with the hotel and cruise industry, then what, to your apartments? This is going down a slippery slope.

The think a lot of you are missing the big picture here. This is not just another "minor inconvenience", this is going too far. Especially on the cruise where we already had our bags scanned and gone through security. It is fine for them to enter the room if needed, maintenance, etc. No one has an issue with this. But just random "check ups" as if everyone is a psycho killer is crossing the line. Innocent until proven guilty. There is a lot that I can put up with, going through metal detectors, security cameras following our every move, but to have our private quarters invaded regularly is too far! This is starting with the hotel and cruise industry, then what, to your apartments? This is going down a slippery slope.

You are welcome to vote with your feet and go elsewhere. As others have pointed out, this is just bring to more clarity what has ALWAYS been the policy - that rooms may be entered at any time.

You are welcome to vote with your feet and go elsewhere. As others have pointed out, this is just bring to more clarity what has ALWAYS been the policy - that rooms may be entered at any time.
That's what we hope is the case. We don't really know how it's going to be implemented. Given major problems with implementation some guests have experienced at WDW resorts, it's logical to be concerned about potential implementation problems on DCL.

I don't think we're missing the "big picture" at all. When you are staying in a room in a hotel where you know they have keys to the room, you should not have ever expected any privacy. I never did. I know they have access to my room, my room safe, everything. I "trust" that they will honor my preferences but I have always understood that they could and would enter my room if they felt a need (whatever that was) even if I had a "privacy" or "DND" sign on the door.

That Disney now wants to be sure that every room is looked in on at least once per day is just a precaution to protect guests and the Disney property itself. Nobody is being found "guilty" or being "accused" of anything. I'd venture a bet that you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere else that doesn't have a similar policy whether it be daily or perhaps a little less often. It's pretty common.

I think that “elsewhere” has followed/will follow suit. So if one was super paranoid about this they’d never go anywhere. Or just stay with friends and family.

No this has not been the policy, the policy is that they would enter the room "when necessary". Like in the case of maintenance, but not to spy on their customers, which is what they are doing now. They are not going in to check on the room but to check to see what you are doing. That is too invasive. How do you not see that? Do you have a house with a mortgage on it? What if the bank sent people to your house to "check on you", or your landlord? There are too many people that are not bothered by this. I have no expectation of privacy in a public setting, but coming in to look around, especially with them knowing that I don't want that is too much. And they will be hearing from me, as they should be hearing from EVERYONE. This is not right.

I don't think we're missing the "big picture" at all. When you are staying in a room in a hotel where you know they have keys to the room, you should not have ever expected any privacy. I never did. I know they have access to my room, my room safe, everything. I "trust" that they will honor my preferences but I have always understood that they could and would enter my room if they felt a need (whatever that was) even if I had a "privacy" or "DND" sign on the door.

That Disney now wants to be sure that every room is looked in on at least once per day is just a precaution to protect guests and the Disney property itself. Nobody is being found "guilty" or being "accused" of anything. I'd venture a bet that you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere else that doesn't have a similar policy whether it be daily or perhaps a little less often. It's pretty common.

No. Of course we all know they have access to the rooms for emergencies, not to come in and see what you are doing. No one has ever expected or thought that. Don't be fooled into thinking that hotels are doing this as some kind of altruistic gesture for our safety. It is purely to cover their own behinds. I have been staying in hotels my whole life and have never seen them come in to "check" on anyone. I have stayed places and kept the DND sign up the whole time and not once did they come in or contact me saying they needed to go into the room(unless it was maintenance which rarely happens). So this whole "it's always been like this" is a bull. Yes of course they have a key and could access, but they never did. Disney never did, this is all new not same old same old.

No this has not been the policy, the policy is that they would enter the room "when necessary". Like in the case of maintenance, but not to spy on their customers, which is what they are doing now. They are not going in to check on the room but to check to see what you are doing. That is too invasive. How do you not see that? Do you have a house with a mortgage on it? What if the bank sent people to your house to "check on you", or your landlord? There are too many people that are not bothered by this. I have no expectation of privacy in a public setting, but coming in to look around, especially with them knowing that I don't want that is too much. And they will be hearing from me, as they should be hearing from EVERYONE. This is not right.

Nope. No mortgage. I rent an apartment and yes, the landlord does have the right to enter. True, he is supposed to give me 24-hours notice, but he has the right.

And they are looking, NOT going through your stuff. And yes, they have ALWAYS had that right to enter and check the welfare of you and/or their property.

Nope. No mortgage. I rent an apartment and yes, the landlord does have the right to enter. True, he is supposed to give me 24-hours notice, but he has the right.

And they are looking, NOT going through your stuff. And yes, they have ALWAYS had that right to enter and check the welfare of you and/or their property.

So what is the point of all of this? Do they really think it is going to stop anything? They are bothering people to "look around" but they can't go through your bags so some crazy can just keep his guns in his bags. Plus most of the resorts are not set up to where anyone can just knock out the window and start shooting on high. None of the value or moderates would be conducive to this.

Honestly, I think people are reading into this way too much.
Where exactly does it say that they are coming in to spy on you and go through your stuff. Where does it say they're going to be doing just random check ups?

The wording on the hanger says: 'Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to enter your stateroom, even when this sign is displayed, for maintenance, safety, security or any other purpose. The ship’s Crew will knock and announce their presence before entering."

Which, as a lot of people are pointing out has been the policy for years, and is the policy on other cruise lines, they just don't spell it out for their guests!

No. Of course we all know they have access to the rooms for emergencies, not to come in and see what you are doing. No one has ever expected or thought that. Don't be fooled into thinking that hotels are doing this as some kind of altruistic gesture for our safety. It is purely to cover their own behinds. I have been staying in hotels my whole life and have never seen them come in to "check" on anyone. I have stayed places and kept the DND sign up the whole time and not once did they come in or contact me saying they needed to go into the room(unless it was maintenance which rarely happens). So this whole "it's always been like this" is a bull. Yes of course they have a key and could access, but they never did. Disney never did, this is all new not same old same old.
Yeah I've done a lot of traveling and stayed in hundreds of hotels. I've never had anyone enter the room "to check things out". I personally don't want someone coming into the room when my son is alone in there. I think they are heading down a slippery slope when it involves minors.

We have sailed 7 times on a Disney ship and have never had them knock on our door when we have our DND sign up. We like to sleep in and so it is up mostly when we are still in bed. Like Ravenne said, your bags are scanned and everyone goes through an X-ray machine, plus the stateroom host are in there twice a day. If they want to have a policy that if your sign is up for 2 days then they can knock and check on you then I can understand that. But having them knock on your door when you are trying to sleep in or shower, for no reason, is unnecessary. Nice relaxing vacation as they come knocking on your door just to "check" on you as if you are a criminal. I don't like it and it does nothing.
That was one of only two less than perfect experiences we had on DCL, the knock on the door despite the DND sign. It was on disembarkation morning, however, it was at 7 am, and we had late seating breakfast and we did not need to be out of the stateroom until 8 am. We had everything planned out, up at 7:45 am, dressed, out of the stateroom and in the dining room for our last breakfast at 8 a.m. Cost us 45 minutes sleep, which may not be huge, but when you have a cross country flight ahead of you, every minute of sleep counts. It was NOT our stateroom host doing the knocking, but someone who I had not seen the entire week, but I suspect some sort of stateroom supervisor. It isn't like they don't know which guests had late seating and a knock on the door at say 7:45 am might have been better timed to make sure we were up and out by 8 am.
The other less than perfect experience came that same morning, and DCL had nothing to do with it. The DORKS who had our table for early seating decided to show up 45 minutes late for breakfast, 15 minutes before our seating. So we missing out on our last meal with our wonderful server team, however the head server stepped up and got us a table with different servers, but sent our servers over twice during breakfast to say goodbye.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter