Looking to buy direct ... not Riviera

TeamCap

Earning My Ears
My husband and I have toyed around with the idea of buying DVC for about four years and finally want to take the plunge but are on the fence.
We are a family of three but may expand to a family of four soon.
We do not want to buy at RIV bc of the resale rules and we don’t want to buy somewhere we have never stayed.
We bought 110 points at CCV for now but after staying at GF last week we are debating springing for a monorail resort (we have stayed at WL before and loved it). Poly is out for me because of only having studios so we’d probably look at GF. We love the pools and the views there although the regular rooms are a bit stuffy. What would the DVC Veteran’s here suggest?!
We were all in but read negative things about getting studios at CCV and we really only see us going every other year for a longer stay (7-10 days). So I want to make sure it’s worth the investment.

I don't mean to be contentious, but you don't want Poly because of studios and you don't want CCV because you can't get studios? I would suggest trying BLT first with the 110 points you have. VGF eats a lot of points.

My husband and I have toyed around with the idea of buying DVC for about four years and finally want to take the plunge but are on the fence.
We are a family of three but may expand to a family of four soon.
We do not want to buy at RIV bc of the resale rules and we don’t want to buy somewhere we have never stayed.
We bought 110 points at CCV for now but after staying at GF last week we are debating springing for a monorail resort (we have stayed at WL before and loved it). Poly is out for me because of only having studios so we’d probably look at GF. We love the pools and the views there although the regular rooms are a bit stuffy. What would the DVC Veteran’s here suggest?!
We were all in but read negative things about getting studios at CCV and we really only see us going every other year for a longer stay (7-10 days). So I want to make sure it’s worth the investment.
There are plenty of ways to determine whether or not it's worth the investment, and it is best to choose the variables and alternatives that mean the most to you. For me, I would simply rent points for a stay so that is my basis for comparison. Others don't like renting, so it's not a valid comparison. I will say that the recent spike in prices have made financial justification of DVC more difficult, but in fairness, there has also been a corresponding spike in CRO prices as well. That said, off-site prices are not spiking, and are looking more and more attractive.

As for the first bolded point, if you feel you are being limited to only resorts you have stayed at, perhaps you might want to take some time to try out a few more resorts. You may be pleasantly surprised. And if you find you love SSR (which many do) then that is a double win. Good luck with your decision! :)

My decisions are made on 1. Value 2. Location 3. Emotion...VGF just doesn’t hit any of those for me, but my dh loves it- so by default that makes my #3 go up a little. But, likely never enough to negate 1. We both loved CR- so BLT is a contender- however, enjoying a high rise balcony anticipating toddlers makes it less appealing...CCV hits 2/3 for me, I’m this close to jumping on it, but think I’ll wait until February and watch the trends. #1 has kept me from buying for 4 years like you. We will have all our funds saved within another 4 weeks, so we may just put some lower bids and see what happens.I personally think you would be very happy with VGF and won’t regret it once you stay there. My dh just knows how much a penny pincher I am...even though resale is likely strong enough to make it a value- it must give me that ooh and aah feeling- it just hasn’t yet.

I love VGF and if I could add more points right now, it’s at the top of the list. But, we are considering BLT or Poly instead resale due to the price difference,,,though we need a new roof so I may not get them until next year.

But, I also have a lot of points that allows me to trade into VGF and if I need to get LV studio I can or even a 1 bedroom, even with the high cost of the room. What I would say is buy where you think you’d be the happiest as trading out at 7 months is getting harder and harder, especially for studios.

DVC is way too expensive to save a few thousand now, and regret the purchase down the road. Good luck!

I don't mean to be contentious, but you don't want Poly because of studios and you don't want CCV because you can't get studios? I would suggest trying BLT first with the 110 points you have. VGF eats a lot of points.

That’s a fair criticism. We want to get the value out of our points when traveling as the 3-4 of us, but also know we could bring extended family down in a 1-2 BR should we want to. We read a lot that the studios at CCV are incredibly hard to get even at 11 months out.

That’s a fair criticism. We want to get the value out of our points when traveling as the 3-4 of us, but also know we could bring extended family down in a 1-2 BR should we want to. We read a lot that the studios at CCV are incredibly hard to get even at 11 months out.
Remember too, that 1BR at CCV also only sleep 4.

To me Disney forces your hand if you want a 1 or 2 bedroom and a Monorail resort. Wilderness Lodge is amazing, but not truly a Monorail resort and the transportation is limited there compared to the Big 3. The Poly is also amazing, my favorite resort, but only studios and bungalows. BLT just isn't up to par for me. It just doesn't have that amazing resort feel that we are after, and the rooms are smaller and usually more worn out from use. The BLT/Contemp pools are way below average as well, again IMO. For my preferences I HAVE to stay at the more expensive/higher points cost VGF if I want a Monorail resort 1-bedroom with all the amenities. Im already second guessing our recent AKC purchase : ) Luckily we travel September when availability is much easier at 7 months. If I had a magic redo button I think I would buy at VGF with enough points for 7 nights in a 1-bedroom each year, resale of course.

Last edited:

Are your 110 CCV points direct? Or resale so that's why you want some direct? It's difficult to equate getting value out of the points with the direct monorail resort point prices.

Since you have the CCV points that could be the resort you book for larger villas when you bring other family along. If you intend to otherwise stay studios then maybe PVB should be on the table. And you could always book 2 studios there if necessary for a larger group.

BLT is difficult to beat for monrail value though with it's point chart that is a little lower than VGF and PVB and it's lower MF's plus it has all size villas.

Living in the Burbs here at home, staying at Bay Lake was quite the "WOW" factor for the family. Loved it. Give it a try and if you still love GF the most, go for it there. Although owning at Poly and getting the studio at 11months when it's just 3-4, probably more often right then when you need a 1-2 bedroom and need to add points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter