Looking for some insight on different airlines

Marv_barr

Mouseketeer
Quick question we live in SW Ontario and have a trip booked for November 17th. We usually drive down but decided that we would like to fly. We usually fly out of Detroit due to location but are considering all options. I guess we are looking for feedback on different airlines ie swoop, westjet,frontier (out of Buffalo) or any other option.

TIA

Will never fly Allegiant again! We flew with them twice (once to Clearwater and second time to FLL) and both time we were delayed because of mechanical problem. Once we had to wait over 6h for a new plane to arrive.

I have not used Swoop yet but I would if the price was right. It does get very mixed reviews though so it's something to keep in mind. Usually, I get better fares out of BUF even with the exchange rate. My go to is always Southwest but I also use JetBlue. I would also consider Frontier but you have to keep in mind that they charge for everything so you have to do the math before buying. I've talked with a couple of friends that have used Frontier and they had no complaints so far.

From a Canadian airport WestJet is always going to be my first choice. I've never had an issue with them and the staff/service is excellent. Second to that would be Air Transat BUT I've had a few big issues with them. The only reason I put AT ahead of Air Canada is because the Rouge service that you get on most short flights is dreadful and even with the issues I've had on AT they are still better than Rouge. That said, I would never say never to AC but the price and flight times would have to be the best for me to choose them.

Often, due to my work situation, the flight times are the deciding factor and there are always more options out of a US airport.

My DH flies Westjet weekly for work and we love them. They are the only airline we fly that actually fixes issues when there is one. Air Canada just doesn't seem to care.

Swoop doesn't fly out of Buffalo as far as I can tell - they do fly out of Hamilton to MCO. The problem is that they typically fly once per day on many routes. A co-worker flew to Halifax on Swoop and her flight got cancelled. The next flight will then be the next day and their flights are often later at night. My father typically flies out of Buffalo and, in the US, usually goes JetBlue although I'm not sure that's a specific choice or just the limited selection he gets. He has no complaints. And, believe me, I would hear if he did. He's not shy about slamming airlines and Air Transat and AC Rouge are on his hatelist although Spirit tops it.

I have not used Swoop yet but I would if the price was right. It does get very mixed reviews though so it's something to keep in mind. Usually, I get better fares out of BUF even with the exchange rate. My go to is always Southwest but I also use JetBlue. I would also consider Frontier but you have to keep in mind that they charge for everything so you have to do the math before buying. I've talked with a couple of friends that have used Frontier and they had no complaints so far.

From a Canadian airport WestJet is always going to be my first choice. I've never had an issue with them and the staff/service is excellent. Second to that would be Air Transat BUT I've had a few big issues with them. The only reason I put AT ahead of Air Canada is because the Rouge service that you get on most short flights is dreadful and even with the issues I've had on AT they are still better than Rouge. That said, I would never say never to AC but the price and flight times would have to be the best for me to choose them.

Often, due to my work situation, the flight times are the deciding factor and there are always more options out of a US airport.

Oh no...what types of issues with AC Rogue? They just changed our flights to AC Rogue, adding a 8.5 hour delay getting to MCO, and forcing us to go back hours earlier now too.

Oh no...what types of issues with AC Rogue? They just changed our flights to AC Rogue, adding a 8.5 hour delay getting to MCO, and forcing us to go back hours earlier now too.

I'm not the person who posted about rouge, but I'm betting it is because of the old planes. For example, there is no entertainment system, etc. Pretty bare bones/no frills.

My family fly swoop frequently within Canada and haven’t had any issues at all. However, the flights were not convenient days for us (I think they only fly a few times a week to MCO our o Hamilton). We have flown every year for the last 4 out of Buffalo with Southwest. They are fantastic! Nice seat size, we always get to be seated together (I just make sure to check in exactly 24 hrs before our flight), 2 checked bags, 1 carry on and a personal bag all included! You get snacks and the flight attendants are always very nice. My sister flew Frontier out of Detroit to MCO over Canadian Thanksgiving and her flight was delayed almost 10 hours. It rendered her first vacation day useless as they didn’t get in until late at night after getting up at 3am to be in Detroit on time.

We fly Southwest out of Buffalo a few times each year. Love them! Lots of flight options to MCO. Great prices. Free luggage. Ontime the majority of the time. Cannot say enough good things about our multiple experiences with SW!

We usually fly out of Edmonton (YEG).

Our family has flown Swoop several times to Hamilton (family in the Niagara Region) with absolutely no issue. We have also flown WestJet on this same route- also with no problems at all.

Our go-to flight to MCO is the nonstop on WestJet on Saturdays during the winter, if the fares are reasonable. Sometimes we can get good prices both ways, sometimes just one way, connecting in the other direction. Sometimes flying one way or the other on United, whatever works best.

Most often, we end up flying with United to MCO, connecting in either Denver (DEN) or, most often, Houston (IAH). Out of about 10 trips on United/United Express flights, only twice were we delayed or had a missed flight. Once we sat in DEN waiting for our connecting flight to arrive and instead of arriving in Orlando at supper time we got there at 1 AM. That was when TED (United's budget airline) was still around. The one connection we missed was due to fog at IAH but the agents got us on the very next flight to MCO. We were even able to sit together. At less busy times this is our cheapest alternative. We got round trip tickets for about $465 CAN per person last January where we flew MCO to IAH on a 737 MAX 8!

We have also flown quite a bit on Air Canada both in Canada and internationally without any complaints.

However, if you have the opportunity and would like a real treat, try to get on a Lufthansa international flight. Unless it's changed since 2013, their service was phenomenal.

Generally, if they change your flight time by more than an a few hours they will change you to whatever flight you want free of charge.

Issue wise we have found the staff both on the ground and in the air to be unpleasant. The exception to that was one lone FA on a flight this past NYE. The seats are VERY small and hard. I would estimate that the seat back in front of you is approx. 10" away from your face. My knees touch the seat in front and I'm only 5'5". Their info is deceiving as to what is available inflight. They will tell you exactly what it says on the website but when you get onboard it's different. They are just a let down from start to finish.

I'm not the person who posted about rouge, but I'm betting it is because of the old planes. For example, there is no entertainment system, etc. Pretty bare bones/no frills.
They really aren't anymore bare bones than most of the others. The one plus that I will give them is that they have a better menu than anyone else. They have infight entertainment, you need to download their app before your trip. This is the same with many carriers now. AT has seat back screens on the larger planes that they use for long haul flights but you still have the option to use their app.

When you are talking bare bones the US carriers are the winners.

I know airlines that are 'bare bones' will still get you from A to B, but, with Air Canada Rouge, it was more 'bare bones' than I would have liked. We had issues trying to book our seats together (even after spending hours on the phone with them and them placing our seats together on our reservation, we still ended up in different rows). The app wasn't working on the flight (so no music, or in flight entertainment) and the kiosks for self check in weren't working when we checked in either. So, again, not completely a disaster, but these were things that are supposed to be included during your flight. I have heard much better things about WestJet and most people I know prefer flying with them over AC.

AC Rouge (not Rogue, at least, not yet, lol) has thinner seats, so they probably pack more in the cabin. I thought they were fine. There is no tv screen, so bring your own device and have the Rouge app downloaded. I believe they give you free wifi access for their content only. Or download some netflix videos or kobo/kindle content. I would fly Rouge again if the price was right. Well, its our only AC choice.

West jet is always over price for me. I always end up flying airlines people hate. American and AC Rouge lol

Going to Disney in September going down I am going with American because I had a voucher and that voucher actually paid for mine and my mom's flight with a credit. It isn't a direct flight, which I would have liked.

Coming back I chose AC Rouge a direct flight home. Last time I flew with them going down to Disney I was with my mom and coming back we were seperate. I didn't mine them

American has ruin my luggage almost every time I fly with them. So before I got a hard shell suitcase, I would end up getting a new suitcase from them because they could never repair my suitcase.

I got a voucher for them overbooking my return flight home last year so they were calling people and rescheduling them with offers.

AC Rouge only flew with them just those two times. Regular AC a bit more. American seems to be my airline of choice and we had our issues but I always win out with new suitcases and vouchers lol

I don’t know if you’re near a hub that Alaska flies into, but imo they’re the best. We’re on the west coast. Always fly Alaska.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts