Looking for on site vs. off site advice, please!

disneymoon0606

Mouseketeer
We’re a family of five plus two grandparents looking to visit WDW early next December. The grandparents have timeshare points with Wyndham so we could likely stay at Bonnet Creek. We stayed there once years ago when it was just me and DH, and it was wonderful. But with three kids ages 5-11, plus the grandparents, I’m wondering if the flexibility of Disney’s transportation would make it worth it to spend extra to stay on site. But then I think about not being able to make any meals at the hotel. I’d love some advice! Thanks!

I have stayed at Wyndham Bonnet creek many times. Love all the configurations, 1, 2, and 3 bedrooms, along with the presidentials. The proximity to the parks is wonderful. Uber might be a good option for transportation. Another option would be renting points at a DVC resort but it is pricey.

I'd rent a minivan and stay Bonnet Creek, especially if they have points they can use. Use the money you saved on the rental and parks parking. You'll have lots of space to stretch out in a 2 or 3 bedroom unit I bet. We did a similar thing when we went with my kids and my parents except we were at Lake Buena Vista Resort Village, but similar idea. Anythinh similarly sized on site is going to be really expensive.

Vehicle rental and parking will cost waaaaayyyy less than you'd spend on rooms at Disney, even if you stayed at a Value resort. To be honest, you'll come out ahead even if you forego that vehicle and just use Uber/Lyft.

Take the free room at Wyndham Bonnet Creek, and enjoy spreading out in a suite rather than being jammed into a room. I bet your kids will LOVE the water features at Wyndham Bonnet Creek much more than Disney's offerings. Unless you were planning to stay at a deluxe resort, the Disney pools won't be anywhere near what WBC provides (and even if you do stay at a deluxe, the pools might not be as good, depending on the resort).

Plan your park days so you are at parks that don't have EMH, and crowds should be manageable. There might be a few headliners you can't get FP for at 30 days, but those are the same FP people have trouble getting at 60 days (SDD, FoP, 7DMT), so no guarantees even if you spent the money for an onsite stay. To my way of thinking, those headliners are usually one ride, maybe two rides, per park. You can always ride them at rope-drop, park close, or just suck it up and wait standby (it's only ONE ride after all).

Last edited:
The only time I'd see the Disney transportation as a big advantage with your family is in a few years when you have teenagers. At that point, you might find you have kids who are old enough to be in the parks on their own, and mature enough to navigate the Disney transportation system, but too young to drive a rental or hail an Uber/Lyft. At that point, it might make sense to stay on site, if your kids are going to want to explore on their own (and you're okay with them, for example, staying to a midnight closing when the rest of you go back early).

Last edited:

We’re a family of five plus two grandparents looking to visit WDW early next December. The grandparents have timeshare points with Wyndham so we could likely stay at Bonnet Creek. We stayed there once years ago when it was just me and DH, and it was wonderful. But with three kids ages 5-11, plus the grandparents, I’m wondering if the flexibility of Disney’s transportation would make it worth it to spend extra to stay on site. But then I think about not being able to make any meals at the hotel. I’d love some advice! Thanks!
Where onsite would you stay? That's the big question. If you'd stay at a value or moderate resort, I'd stick with Bonnet Creek. If you'd stay at a deluxe resort, I'd stay onsite.

I’ve always been hardcore stay on site fan until this trip. We have a big family (6 total) and found the space off site to be AMAZING compared to onsite. The only caveat would if price were closer I’d love to stay at the cabin again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter