Looking for Brutally Honest Opinions....

kristenrice

NOT just an ambulance driver
I am fairly certain I know what I am going to do, but I am looking to see what other, more experienced travelers might do in my situation. I am traveling with my 2 teenage daughters (13 and 15) and we are arriving at 11pm and staying at OKW.

I am considering using Uber/Lyft to get to our resort instead of waiting for DME. We have only carry-ons and since the girls will have been up since 6am, I don't want to linger at the airport any longer than necessary. I am slightly concerned about the safety of using any private transportation at that late hour for that distance. I'm not worried about taking the short trips across WDW property when we head back to, say, AKV from TOTWL or something, but this would be the longest trip in a private vehicle that I have ever taken.

I am also not familiar with how efficient DME runs at that hour either. The only other time we arrived this late, we stayed at the airport Hyatt and took DME the next morning. This time, I had exactly enough DVC points to cover that night so there was no reason to shell out $300 for the Hyatt. I have read that DME can take longer at night because more sporadic arrivals mean it takes longer for them to fill the buses. I'd rather not sit on a bus for 45 minutes before we leave for the resort.

So, what do you all think? As a 20-year paramedic, my "street sense" is well-tuned. I have a pretty good gut instinct to know when things are not right and I'm also not the least bit timid when it comes to defending myself or my children. Unfortunately, my experience with taxis is extremely limited. I'm just wondering if I have any reason to be leery about using private transportation from the airport at that hour, or am I just worrying for nothing??

I'm really not comfortable with using Uber/Lyft.
Same here.

I am also not familiar with how efficient DME runs at that hour either. The only other time we arrived this late, we stayed at the airport Hyatt and took DME the next morning. This time, I had exactly enough DVC points to cover that night so there was no reason to shell out $300 for the Hyatt. I have read that DME can take longer at night because more sporadic arrivals mean it takes longer for them to fill the buses. I'd rather not sit on a bus for 45 minutes before we leave for the resort]
Our flight arrived at MCO past midnight last month. We sat on the bus for about 15-20 minutes before departing for the resorts. It was not a packed bus, and we were dropped off last. We were the only guests headed to our resort (Beach Club). The trip length was typical in terms of arrival MDE trips we've taken over the years. No better or worse than arriving midday.

No issues for me using uber, many cities in the US.

OP that said, if you have any concerns in your mind, why put yourself through the worry?

You could always book sedan or limo service, but pricier than uber.

More experienced Uber users will say to just use it, no problem. For me, someone who is 62 and has been in an Uber and taxi a couple of times and never alone, nope.
I would feel more comfortable on the bus and not stressing about it now, or while on route. Everyone could sleep on the bus if they want; you wouldn't be as worried. How well can you assess the situation in the few minutes it takes to get into a stranger's car? DME is free too.

Vacation should be no/low stress.

If I was feeling flush I would book a car from a car service, I wouldn't do Uber with 3 females late at night...I'm cheap though and would just take DME

Doesn't Uber have a thing where you can send your location to another party so they can track you during your trip? I don't know if that helps you feel safer or not.

I would probably Uber. I'm usually cheap and would say DME, but at that time, I'd rather get to the hotel quicker. Another option... get a hotel room near the airport for that night. Get up the next morning, shuttle back to MCO and then take DME. This won't work great if you plan an early morning the next day.

I am considering using Uber/Lyft to get to our resort instead of waiting for DME. We have only carry-ons and since the girls will have been up since 6am, I don't want to linger at the airport any longer than necessary. I am slightly concerned about the safety of using any private transportation at that late hour for that distance.
Since you are concerned I second the advice given by others. Take DME. The amount of time lingering at the airport will be only slightly more than taking Uber and all of that time will be inside a Disney bus - not in or around the airport.

Personally, I won't use "ride sharing" for the reasons other people here have noted. If I'm getting in a vehicle, I want it to be owned by the company I'm paying. And, I want that vehicle driven by an actual employee of the company.

Here are prices for some of the alternative:

Taxi: According to the Mears Taxi Fare Estimator, the approximate price from the Orlando International Airport (MCO) and Disney's Old Key West Resort is $53.17. Traffic is the main reason taxi estimates are off. But, traffic shouldn't be an issue at that time of night, so the fare should be about that price.
Town Car: The price for a private town car is $90 from Mears Transportation. If you book online, use the code "WEB10" and the price drops to $81. If unfamiliar, Mears is the company that runs Disney's Magical Express (DME). Both DME and the town car are driven by employees of Mears.
Car Rental: Without a date, it's impossible to get an accurate price. But, a quick survey of 5 random dates between now and the end of the year show rates between $60 and $75 (tax inclusive) for a one-day, one-way rental between MCO and one of Alamo's three on-site locations. On top of that price, you'd pay tolls, to re-fill gas (easy since there's a gas station right across from Disney Springs), and fork over $24 to Disney for the privilege of leaving he car in their lot overnight. All in, the price is probably higher than the town car. However, you can make a supply run to stock the kitchen before returning the car. That perk might make the rental worth the slightly extra expense.

Taxi Fare Estimator: http://www.mearstransportation.com/taxi-services/taxi-fare-estimator/
Mears Transportation: http://www.mearstransportation.com/
Alamo: https://www.alamo.com/en_US/car-rental/home.html

The three on-site Alamo rental car locations:
  • Car Care Center: Located near the Transportation and Ticket Center parking lot, this location provides free shuttle service to all points at Disney World. Wait times to use the shuttle vary.
  • Walt Disney World Dolphin: Drive up to the Walt Disney World Dolphin hotel and leave the car with the valet. You can walk inside to get a receipt or Alamo will email it to you automatically. From there, walk/boat to Epcot and Disney's Hollywood Studios or take a Disney bus to Magic Kingdom or Disney's Animal Kingdom.
  • Hilton Buena Vista Palace: Located across the street from the Marketplace section of Disney Springs, the Alamo desk is in the lobby. From there, walk to Disney Springs and take the boat back to your resort. Or, walk a little further and use a Disney bus to go to any Disney Resort.
Note: Aside from Alamo, you can find other rental car desks at some of the Disney Springs Hotels. Drop you car off and use the options listed under the Hilton Buena Vista Palace. Companies include Avis, Hertz, Enterprise, Budget, and Dollar.

More experienced Uber users will say to just use it, no problem. For me, someone who is 62 and has been in an Uber and taxi a couple of times and never alone, nope.
I would feel more comfortable on the bus and not stressing about it now, or while on route
Also 62. Have been in rideshare (Lyft) vehicles at various times traveling various distances, always solo, with no negative issues.

But i agree with the DME recommendations, given the OP's concerns.

I would pay for a car service. I've used FL Tours a few times, and have had great service from them. If it is in your budget I think it is a great idea. I've had good experiences with DME late at night, and I've had long waits using them. When I fly in late and it is in my budget I book a town car.

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. Everything you have said has solidified my decision to stick with DME. I wanted to address the two, other suggestions (town car and rental car) that were also brought up. First, since DME is free, I want to keep the cost as low as possible. That's why I was looking at Uber/Lyft as it would only be about $35. A town car service would be double that, plus tip. Even though it would still be "affordable", I ruled it out as an option because if I am not going to go for free, I want to take the most affordable option that I can. As far as renting a car is concerned, I will probably have a drink or two (NOT excessive, just to control mild anxiety) on the plane and I will NOT drive after I drink, even one cocktail. In addition, I will also be quite tired since I am a morning person so I have no desire to be driving that late at night. A rental car, no matter how cheap, is absolutely a no-go.

I am thankful for the responses and I am glad I asked. I kind of thought I would hear a lot of frequent travelers telling me that Uber/Lyft are perfectly fine and I'm just paranoid and if there were problems, we'd hear about them all the time, etc, etc. With all of the safety measures built into the Uber app, I am 99% sure that there would be no issue at all. I have no problem using Uber/Lyft while we are at WDW either, but since it seems like you guys here share my "apprehension", I will stick with my original plan and we will take DME.

Doesn't Uber have a thing where you can send your location to another party so they can track you during your trip? I don't know if that helps you feel safer or not.
Yes, Uber has a whole suite of rider safety features, including several that have just been added in the last few weeks.

One of those features allows you to share your ride progress, with real-time tracking, with trusted friends/family. Another allows you to call 911 directly from the rider app, and that option will provide real-time actual GPS locations to emergency responders rather than the location of the nearest cell tower, which could be several miles away.

Contrary to what Monorail Man posted above, if you order an Uber, as soon as the driver accepts your ride, you will receive the driver's true first name, a description of their car, the tag number, a picture of the driver...and, you will be able to follow the progress of the vehicle as they come to pick you up and throughout the ride.

The picture is your most important protection because it ensures that you have the right driver and that the driver has passed Florida's state-mandated, extremely rigorous local, state, and federal background investigations (driving record, local criminal history, Florida criminal history, Federal (FBI) criminal history, DHS terrorist watch list, Florida sexual predator list, Federal sexual predator list, and other checks).

Uber's background checks are conducted by an independent company, and separate company maintains a continuous "watch" on all Uber drivers and notifies Uber immediately if the driver has any criminal issues subsequent to the background check.

In addition to any sharing of the ride tracking you choose to do, your ride is double-tracked by Uber. They track the ride both on your rider app on your phone, and the driver's phone. Once your ride has ended, Uber continues to track you for a few minutes to be sure everything is okay. Drivers are tracked continuously whether we are on rides or not, and for quite some time after we go offline at the end of the shift.

Lyft drivers have to meet the same state standards as Uber, and much of the info provided prior to pickup is the same. Lyft also double-tracks your ride, but does not currently provide the other safety features mentioned above. Uber also re-does backgrounds annually, and has drivers periodically submit in-app selfies for facial recognition confirmation that the right driver is behind the wheel. Lyft does neither.

With a taxi, you get a vehicle that is licensed by the city or county, a driver who has passed a very minimal background investigation [ETA: Here, I'm talking specifically about the Orlando/Orange County requirements. Many other cities have very stringent background requirements, but Orlando is not one of those.], and none of the tracking/sharing functionality. You are trusting the paint job on the car -- but you'll be perfectly fine in a taxi.

Orlando is actually one of the easiest places in the US to get a hack license. I have an online "friend" who drives, dispatches, and recruits for Mears, so I'm familiar with the requirements.

For taxis, here's a link to the Orlando PD requirements writerguyfl mentioned: http://www.cityoforlando.net/police/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2014/02/DP-check-list-New-2015.pdf

Note that the background investigation is obtained and submitted by the taxi driver, not done independently. Also note what the deal-breakers are, lol.

But despite the low bar set by Orlando/Orange County, you would be safe in a Mears taxi. They're a very good company with a longstanding good reputation.

Fare estimates from Ride Guru: Uber fare from MCO to OKW would be about $27 for X or $40 for XL. Taxi would be about $60

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter